This is my only RANT....

Options
I hate when bosses think they can intimidate us...I have been giving the responsibility to do all of the IT purchasing and I have begun to set up a repor with the vendors..We are now in a brand new state of the art building and also the world headquarters for all of our plants..and that being said I have been working hard to talk to my vendors....They have asked for a tour of the plant and I have agreed..Well today..my boss came up to me and asked, why is that vendor here..and i told him that they would like a tour..and he proceeded to say that unless they have a purpose to be here, they dont belong here...and I said we buy from them..and so they would like to see where their product is being used...

He then proceeded to tell me...we give them a check they give us product and that is that...and I totally disagree..so I am asking what you guys think about the cituation and am i in the wrong..

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just quit!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    WOW, your manager has NO CLUE as to how customer / vendor relationships work. Customer service works both ways.

He needs a reality check or to let the front door hit him on the way out.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're wrong. I think your boss is wrong. If he needs a "purpose" for them to be there, tell him it's called schmoozing!

ETA: In all seriousness... tread lightly. Don't get yourself fired over it! After all, he's the boss. And technically what he says goes, no matter what a bunch of MFPers might say. :flowerforyou:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Cool story, bro.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Call HR

THEN quit

THEN sue

THEN retire
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I agree with your boss. While the tour would be a nice gesture, there may be security concerns, or inside information that the vendor can use to broker deals with your company's competition.

If that were to happen where I work, you'd probably be fired on the spot due to the super, super tight security that we have. Vendors have to be vetted, sign NDAs and have a very specific purpose for even stepping foot in any of our facilities.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Did you get authorization? Maybe your boss feels you went ahead without permission.
  • cherieinkaty
    Options
    Sorry, but it doesn't look like you followed the chain of command...also, are there safety or confidentiality issues? I know it stinks, but you may have to eat crow on this one....from what I have read in your post your boss seems to be correct. Don't worry too much and try to forget this and enjoy your weekend!!! : )
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    He sounds like a really great boss and people person. I think it's HUGE to have greta relationships with your vendors! I say kudos to you!
  • atulas
    atulas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1) The boss is always right
    2) refer to 1
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Did you get authorization? Maybe your boss feels you went ahead without permission.

errr... she may have a point... I didn't think of that... otherwise I still think you're right ;)
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    There could be a few reasons why they shouldn't be there. Company propitiatory concerns for one. But in response, give your boss a positive. "I'm working on a better relationship with our vendors so I can obtain better pricing from them" Nothing speaks louder than money!
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but it doesn't look like you followed the chain of command...also, are there safety or confidentiality issues? I know it stinks, but you may have to eat crow on this one....from what I have read in your post your boss seems to be correct. Don't worry too much and try to forget this and enjoy your weekend!!! : )

Yeah, I agree with this one. My first thought was safety. Not only of the guy in question, but also of your company. If this guy is hurt on the premises, they may not have insurance for that. So there may be a no-non-workers policy. Just inquire as to why this is, and express your frustration maturely. Communication is key in every relationship, and you could kindly suggest that he explain himself when he makes seemingly arbitrary commands. That way they aren't arbitrary anymore.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Um, no you were wrong. Period. Seriously -- theft of property and ideas never occurred to you?
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I worked at a plant and we had vendors. They had to be approved before they came inside. I know how you feel because your position sounds like one I was in, but it was high security and vendors were not allowed to tour unless approved by management. And that manager had to walk with the vendor. Your heart was in the right place. I did a lot of "human" stuff that was considered wrong.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recent posts. Tours are great but get permission and buy in. Introducing your well informed boss (names, what they do and which contracts they supply) along the tour would probably earn you some great points on both sides (your boss and the vendor). Apologies, let your boss know that that will not happen again and ask for the best way of accomplishing this in the future.
    I used to work for a Major League Baseball team and we did them all of the time but I had to inform my boss and give him the information. Then he didn’t mind at all.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Just relax. You thought you were the the right thing. Don't quit! In this economy a job is a good thing. Do you have to get bids for the equipment? Security is always an issue in this day and time. Had you narrowed the selection down to this one vendor? If not, a tour was not necessary. The vendor was trying to establish a relationship with you. At some point, you may have to tell your boss that he was right.

Enjoy the weekend.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't quit your job just because your boss was correct, even tho brash about it.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    You should have just been honest with your boss... You were giving the vendor a free tour in exchange for the vendor calendar and a tablet of post-it notes.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just relax. You thought you were the the right thing. Don't quit! In this economy a job is a good thing. Do you have to get bids for the equipment? Security is always an issue in this day and time. Had you narrowed the selection down to this one vendor? If not, a tour was not necessary. The vendor was trying to establish a relationship with you. At some point, you may have to tell your boss that he was right.

Enjoy the weekend.

They already purchase from this particular vendor she stated.

Customer / Vendor relationships are very important, especially now days in the world we live in.

I can not imagine anyone saying a vendor or a potential customer can not come in and tour facilities. That is AWFUL business practice.

And I have worked for Northrop Grumman in a Naval Shipyard where there was highly classified information, blue prints, etc. - They still took vendors and customers on tours of the facilities.