Going Gluten free

Options

Replies

• Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am actually getting arsey private messages now because i have DARED to suggest i would like to cut gluten out of my diet!!!

Seriously???

I am sorry i ever posted this thread, what i expected was some stories about going gluten free/having to go gluten free and the issues people faced.

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

The crazies must be out of work early. Posting anything on these message boards opens up many chances for you to be ridiculed, sad isn't it?

Anywho, I have read a LOT about gluten and I have read it helps with indigestion because that little flappy at the end of your esophagus becomes stronger and works more efficiently. I dont know the scientific reason, but I have read quite a few good things about it, I hope that gives you some hope! Once again, good luck!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this because of health reasons, I'd consult a doctor. If not for health reasons, it's quite pointless.

So nice, telling someone their diet is pointless. Really? She said she has indigestion, and is willing to try something that may help it. Have you ever tried to go gluten-free? If not, how do you know it's pointless?

Have you ever read about why gluten is problematic for so many people? If not, here's a place to start:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-common-is-gluten-sensitivity/#axzz272iGca7j

It's not just about Celiacs. Many people find that eliminating gluten also helps reduce allergies, inflammation, and... wait for it... weight!

What I said was that if it's NOT for health reasons then it's pointless. Yes, I'll stand by that. Everything you argued, was a "health reason" indigestion, allergies, inflammation. I mean... I'm not a doctor, but I'd say those are all health reasons.

I never said her diet was pointless, get it right Ms. I said that cutting out gluten for non health reasons is pointless. And thank you for the reading material. I actually have done my reading on Celiac disease and how gluten can be problematic for people with "health" issues....and I have gone gluten free for "health" reasons.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks Steph and Carli... I was fairly sure i was not going mad, and that all the stuff i have read/been told by 'foodie' types was not complete hot air.

I do believe that most people have a slight gluten intollerance, like most people have a mild lactose intollernace. These are things we consume far, far too much of in our diets.

No i am not going to completely cut all gluten out of my diet, though as a pp said, i may find i am more sensitive to it after cutting it out for a while.

Ideally i would like to remove the gluten for 30 days, which is going to take some doing and getting used to, before reducing my indigestion meds and seeing if its helped. If not i will re-think.

I know most of you will scoff at this, but my heart is telling me that my heartburn problems are caused by wheat. Maybe i am wrong but i dont think i am. What Steph said about the osophogus is interesting, even with my pills i often wake in the night with fluid (not acidy fluid because of the pills) but fluid all the same, in my throat.

It seems that the contents of my stomach struggle to stay inside my stomach!

I have not woken up and though 'oh i know, removing all gluten from my diet will be fun!' Its something i seriously think may help me.

Today i have failed somewhat because OH came home with some scones, but we are off to do a food shop tomorrow so that is the best time to start.

I just hope it works. Or something works!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this because of health reasons, I'd consult a doctor. If not for health reasons, it's quite pointless.

So nice, telling someone their diet is pointless. Really? She said she has indigestion, and is willing to try something that may help it. Have you ever tried to go gluten-free? If not, how do you know it's pointless?

Have you ever read about why gluten is problematic for so many people? If not, here's a place to start:

It's not just about Celiacs. Many people find that eliminating gluten also helps reduce allergies, inflammation, and... wait for it... weight!

What I said was that if it's NOT for health reasons then it's pointless. Yes, I'll stand by that. Everything you argued, was a "health reason" indigestion, allergies, inflammation. I mean... I'm not a doctor, but I'd say those are all health reasons.

I never said her diet was pointless, get it right Ms. I said that cutting out gluten for non health reasons is pointless. And thank you for the reading material. I actually have done my reading on Celiac disease and how gluten can be problematic for people with "health" issues....and I have gone gluten free for "health" reasons.

If you've done so much research on the reasons why reducing or giving up gluten is beneficial to MOST people (which is it) then why the negativity? Why did you ignore the bit of my post that said I was giving it up because of indigestion? Surely if you have done all this vast research, you would have discovered what i have, and what others have, that gluten is often linked to indigestion and heartburn.

Why the negativity? Surely if you have nothing but nastiness for someone who has done nothing bu tried to improve their health and life, its 'pointless' to post on their thread?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Most people have an intollerance to gluten!

And you're basing this assertion on????????

Maybe you meant some people have.........
  • Bakerchk
    Options
    To the OP, since I'm sure I'm looking like a total b*tch about now.

I wasn't trying to tell you that your diet is pointless, regardless of what others think. What I was saying is that NORMALLY if you are not going gluten free because of a health issue, there aren't a lot of benefits to it. I have lots of stomach issues and have tried going gluten free, tried cutting out carbs, breads, pastas, etc. and none of those things helped. The one thing that did help me (not saying it will for you) is eating as "clean" as possible. No processed meats, no canned items (besides tuna in water) no pre mixed rices, pastas, etc. Everything is fresh, raw, and natural. THAT helped stopped the bloating, indigestion, etc.

With that said, if your doctor recommends it, then go for it. It's not easy because there a lot of random foods that contain gluten, a lot of items you wouldn't even think of (like soy sauce). But if it helps, stick to it. There are plenty of gluten free sites, with recipes and quick meals. They have special bread that is gluten free that you can find in some stores (I'm in CA and Trader Joe's here sell it).

Best of luck to you. I am sorry to hear that people are writing nasty messages. I hope that stops and is not necessary. The ONLY reason I posted on here, and came back to apologize is because for one, I don't want you to get discouraged and for two, because I don't like seeing that people try to cut things out of their diet when it's not necessary (which may or may not be your case). A lot of people look way too much into what they are eating. It shouldn't be that hard, UNLESS you are having major health issues and then yes, you want to figure out what it is that is making you sick.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I am actually getting arsey private messages now because i have DARED to suggest i would like to cut gluten out of my diet!!!

Seriously???

I am sorry i ever posted this thread, what i expected was some stories about going gluten free/having to go gluten free and the issues people faced.

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

Well, when you post inaccurate information expect feedback (even though I'm surprised anyone would go so far as to send PMs )

Going gluten free is a trendy thing to do as some brain dead Hollywood type have been suggesting it's the best thing since the discovery of fire. If you're one of the small percentage of people who would actually benefit from it then it's a good idea, the vast majority of people doing it are merely sheep who heard something on Dr Oz or read about it in the some trashy grocery store tabloid.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Most people have an intollerance to gluten!

Completely FALSE! Most people do NOT have a gluten intolerance.

From CeliacCenter.org: "Research from the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research indicates that it affects approximately 18 million people, or six percent of the population."

Stop making stuff up!

ETA: Oops! Meant to post the link: http://www.celiaccenter.org/gluten_faq.asp#howmany

Thank you! :drinker:
  • delwen57
    delwen57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing as much as possible going gluten free, but you have to read labels very carefully as most products will be high in calories and sugar, not too mention way more expensive.
  • Bakerchk
    Options

If you've done so much research on the reasons why reducing or giving up gluten is beneficial to MOST people (which is it) then why the negativity? Why did you ignore the bit of my post that said I was giving it up because of indigestion? Surely if you have done all this vast research, you would have discovered what i have, and what others have, that gluten is often linked to indigestion and heartburn.

Why the negativity? Surely if you have nothing but nastiness for someone who has done nothing bu tried to improve their health and life, its 'pointless' to post on their thread?

You are correct, it is beneficial, for people with health issues, intolerances to gluten or Celiac. To say that its beneficial to most people without those issues, is incorrect. It's a fad, just like other "diets" out there. I am not trying to be negative and was actually just trying to help. Sorry you took it that way. I have read up on gluten free diets but never did I say I know everything about it. I'm obviously not a doctor and don't know what is causing your indigestion.
  • Bakerchk
    Options

Seriously???

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

Well, when you post inaccurate information expect feedback (even though I'm surprised anyone would go so far as to send PMs )

Going gluten free is a trendy thing to do as some brain dead Hollywood type have been suggesting it's the best thing since the discovery of fire. If you're one of the small percentage of people who would actually benefit from it then it's a good idea, the vast majority of people doing it are merely sheep who heard something on Dr Oz or read about it in the some trashy grocery store tabloid.

THANK GOD! Exactly what I was trying to say.

Except for apparently when I say it, I'm negative...
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. Very enlightening. I would like to try not just gluten free, but completely wheat free. But to me it is just so difficult because you find wheat in almost everything. I would encourage you to try it if you are interested. I bet you have good results. If you do, keep blogging - I'd love to follow you.
  • Erica_G2012
    Options
    Hi Feeb,

My husband and I both recently decided to go to a gluten-free and low sugar diet. He's been on weight watchers and has been effective for him, he's lost over 30 pounds. I am not a big fan of dieting and I actually like being pretty curvy, but, getting diabetes and struggling with some of my other health issues has brought me to the point of going to a gluten-free diet.

So just this past week we went gluten-free our meal plan and grocery shopping trip last weekend was for our new diet lifestyle. I still get gluten products for my kids because they do like their bagels and snacks for after school. I have digestive problems (IBS) and I have arthritis and I suffer from insomnia and tend to have body aches... going to a gluten-free diet should help me with some of the health issues I struggle with... I also have a child with Asperger's on the autism spectrum and there are some thoughts that gluten-free might help her, (So my goal is to move the whole-family toward a more gluten-free lifestyle, but baby steps).

I've not had bread or pasta or anything for nearly a week now. I am really hoping it pans out for me and that I can achieve this goal. I'm happy to have any friends that need support or folks who are also working on a gluten free lifestyle.

Best of luck to you!!!

Cheers, Erica
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I avoid gluten 99% of the time because I have medical symptoms that flare up when I've had it, though I don't have celiac disease itself. I find I can get away with the occasional cross-contamination, or small transgression, but if I have wheat and/or gluten more than once every few weeks, my symptoms worsen.

I haven't noticed a difference with regard to weight loss, except that getting lettuce-wrapped burgers and sandwiches is way lower in calories than the kind with bread.

A LOT of gluten-free breads are extra-high in sodium, so that's a factor to consider, too.
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease. I have no idea why someone without Celiac Disease would choose to go gluten free. It is a difficult diet to maintain and there are other health consequences. Please people, consult a doctor or a nutritionist before doing this if you don't have to!
  • AimeeCu
    Options
    So sorry you got attacked on this one - I thought it was a great topic to discuss and would have solicited real advice from those that have to live a completely gluten free lifestyle. I for one would have loved some recipe suggestions since I know nothing about it!!!

I wish you the best of luck. I had considered trying gluten free due to the many benefits that are cited on various clinical sites and lasted about 3 days, I am a carb lover sad to say. So now I am just trying to be more conscientious of the types of products I purchase.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. Very enlightening. I would like to try not just gluten free, but completely wheat free. But to me it is just so difficult because you find wheat in almost everything. I would encourage you to try it if you are interested. I bet you have good results. If you do, keep blogging - I'd love to follow you.

Except that "Wheat Belly" should be sold in the fiction section at your local bookstore. I've read a number of critiques of this book and it certainly seems like he, and I'm being charitable. misinterpreted many of the studies he cites. (ie his conclusion was polar opposite of the study's conclusions)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Seriously???

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

I am 100% with you. People are friggin ridiculous--it's like the meat lovers asking "how can i give it up..blah blah blah...but bacon tastes so good. does it get easier?" if you like it then eat it. learn how to have a healthy, balanced diet. All these restrictions are usually supported by bullsh!t reasons that are usually untrue--really it's just an effort to mask an individual's desire to further restrict a food group as a means to lose weight. I hate that crap.
  • Bakerchk
    Options

Seriously???

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

I am 100% with you. People are friggin ridiculous--it's like the meat lovers asking "how can i give it up..blah blah blah...but bacon tastes so good. does it get easier?" if you like it then eat it. learn how to have a healthy, balanced diet. All these restrictions are usually supported by bullsh!t reasons that are usually untrue--really it's just an effort to mask an individual's desire to further restrict a food group as a means to lose weight. I hate that crap.

Have I told you lately.... How much I love you? ;)
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am yeast free, which is harder than gluten free (at least for me!!) I'm not allowed to have bread, alcohol, many fruits (only berries allowed right now), dairy, pasta (I cheat sometimes on that!), and of course anything with yeast. I can always tell when I eat something I'm not supposed to because I'll get extremely tired and my fingers will swell and get very uncomfortable and tight. If you have a gluten intolerance, you will also feel sluggish, as I also have a wheat intolerance (similar to gluten, but not full blown). Going on the diet if you have an intolerance will change your life. It will give you so much more energy and you will feel so much more clean inside and out! If you have been feeling slow and sluggish, try it out, it will change your life! It's also a great idea to take a pro biotic too with it to help with the cleansing. Best of luck!

Tara Leola*~