Do you feel thinner? Because I don't....

Options

Replies

• Aurorakitty
    Options
    I still look in the mirror and go "your fat need to excessize more not eat all that crap etc" but then other days I look in the mirror and go "your thin" and then I get all happy cause I can go shopping and buy new stuff but then feel guilty afterwards because what it I gain it back or what if I lose another pant size and have stuff that doesn't fit again? Serously I think this anxiety about weight is killing me and making me depressed but I don't think there is anything I can do about the emotional side of it. Kinda think this weight loss/ gain is hereditary. Need to worry more about maintaining weight instead of whether I should lose or gain.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i'm 95 now but i feel the same as when i was 112, even though it's almost a 20 pound loss
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It's really frustrating. I've gained some weight according to the scale but my clothes still fit from when i was at my smallest so I know I can't look all that different but I still feel really big...

I'm trying to stay positive though!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. I'm still Fat Sarah inside and probably always will be. THANK GOD FOR MIRRORS and smaller clothes!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    somedays i still feel 320 on the inside ..............but i keep looking in the mirror and trying on new clothes and it's starting to sink in :flowerforyou:
  • jacksagod
    jacksagod Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm only down 25 but still feel at my heaviest of 304!! It's been like that on and off.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I hate that, but I do it, too! All you need is one bad angle to put you in a slump :-(
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds and am the lightest I've been in my adult life and when I look in the mirror I still see a heavy person. It's sucks *kitten*, but I think that's just the way women are programmed.

Now I feel even worse. I've got a condition only women are supposed to get! Seriously, it happens to a lot of us and I was prepared for it because I've done this drill before. I'm convinced that unless and until we change the mental image we hold of ourselves, we are at risk to gain it back. It only took me from November till May to lose 40 pounds. I'm still working on the mental image.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    low self-esteem?? self-confidence? all I have to say is.... "I'm sexy and I know it!" *jumps on the counter and starts doing pelvic thrust / dancing around*
    ^^ THIS! **joins you**
  • redlady82
    redlady82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Um....yes. I've been losing and I was in a very down mood the other night over how hard I've been working and how little I feel it. At the gym when I see my reflection in the window doing cardio or the mirrors doing weights and core I swear I'm bigger than I've ever been but I know that can't be. My husband sees the difference as well but I need to get my head in the right spot. Hang in there...like you said you're clothes are looser. Find something you really like about yourself and start by focusing on that then next week find another to start looking at yourself more positively.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    You are retraining your body so don't forget to retrain your mind as well. We own our thoughts and emotions and how we feel is based on our perspective. When I taught middle school, I would use the example of "The team just scored; how do you feel?" The students raised their hands and would say something to the effect of great, happy, etc. I would scowl and say but it was the other team not our team, so why is it great? The students got the idea of perspective.

When you do well, tell yourself that you did well, and from time to time reward yourself with something that you want!

Do I feel thinner?
    I remember when I could look down and not see my toes. I knew I was fat.
    I remember when I could look down, see my toes but not my knees. I knew I was fat.
    I remember when I could look down, see my knees but not my shorts. I knew I was fat.
    I remember when I would measure my waist where I wear my pants, 50+ inches and I knew I was fat.
    I can look down see my toes, my knees, my shorts, my waist is 40. I know that I still have fat. But my body fat has dropped
    from 38% to 28% and I have lost about 35+ lbs of fat. I'm still a long way from my goal of 20% body fat and it may take
    another 30 lbs of fat loss to get there. Do I feel thinner? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!! I do things to tell myself that I am thinner.

It is all perspective! How you feel about yourself is under your control. If someone gives you a negative comment, immediately give yourself a positive comment in your mind to cancel out the negative comment. At the gym on the elliptical or treadmill, I set the time for 60 minutes. At 35 minutes I don't think, OMG I still have another 25 minutes to go. I think, I have 10 minutes less to go than the time I have already done. At 50 minutes, I don't think OMG I still have another 10 minutes. I think, I have 40 minutes less to go than I have already done. Take everything that you can and change it to be a positive way to look at yourself and what you do. I look in the mirror and I still see fat around the waist but think, look at all that I have lost. If you change it all to positive thoughts, you psych yourself up and have plenty of motivation.

Keep working because you will get to the point where you see yourself in a positive light.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I understand.I felt bloated still even when I knew I was losing. I found that cutting back on sugar and bread/pasta helped. I also feel better if I go to bed when I am slightly empty (not hungry)

But that is the physical part of it.

I had the opposite thing happen. I felt thin until I caught a reflection of myself in a store window and didn't know it was me. I didn't realize I'd gained so much. It was a wake up a]call and it got me going,

but the opposite has happened (which I think it what you are talking about) I tried and tried (and felt like I was failing) to lose the weight, but I just got used to myself at the new heavier weight and I no longer felt like my old fit self.

I then started losing, but I still felt like the heavier me. I am slowly losing, so I battle with the whole self image thing. I will say that when I don't feel bloated, I actually feel thin and good.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and see the small differences, and even notice when I do something that I knew I couldn't do a couple months ago. So I know I'm getting thinner, I just still have so far to go and this roll of fat around my belly that reminds me each time I sit up. I feel so much better and hope that once I have more off I will feel it better.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. But never in my life have I thought of myself as "thin". Not even when my body fat was in the bottom 6th percentile.
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree and am 100% with ya. Sad that we never feel good enough.. always seeing the worst (hips or chins or little dimples) even when we are killing ourselves at the gym, carving out time to concentrate on ourselves and balancing family/ career/ school.

BREAK THE CYCLE AND raise GIRLS (and boys) TO LOVE THEIR BODIES NO MATTER WHAT SIZE they are. Be the one influence that makes them happy to be themselves. Encourage a healthy body image.

“Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images.”
    ― Cheri K. Erdman.

“By choosing healthy over skinny you are choosing self-love over self-judgment. You are beautiful!”
    ― Steve Maraboli

I have no problems with self esteem. Just because you want to improve yourself doesn't mean you have self loathing or an unhealthy body image.

Wo. Sorry. not trying to start anything here, but just wanted to clarify as it seems you may have misunderstood my intention.

I was trying to be positive and remind everyone that you are juggling a lot and still are beautiful, even if you don't always feel it, or see it, or fit into the jeans you want.

Sorry if that didn't come accross.
  • vickijay
    vickijay Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow sooooo many people agree. That makes me feel much better. My friend saw me this morning and said I looked a right skinny Minnie and I felt all bloated fat and rank. So odd, but at least we can all feel odd together!!

I think it does work both ways too because I didn't really notice how fat I had got when I was at my heaviest :(
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    for me it depends. I've once lost 50 pounds and felt almost the same after (except for fitter and I noticed I didn't knock over things in the (German thus smaller) supermarkets with my butt).
  • fit_and_fab_after_kids
    Options
    was just thinking about this today! i still feel and see the old fat me :(
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this, too. I've been chubby throughout my adulthood, so it's incredibly difficult for me to see progress. I think the image of myself at my biggest -- and the fear that I'll go back to it -- has overtaken any ability to see myself differently in the mirror.

I'm trying to change it by focusing on individual parts of my body and how I remember them. Like my arms. I remember that, last year, the sharp point of my elbow was hardly visible while surrounded by fat. I can see now how slimmer my arms are, how my elbow juts out from a much more toned arm. Or how my belly was much rounder from the side, but now dips in at the waist.

If I look at my whole body, all I think is, "I still have work ahead of me." But when I look at the parts of my body that are my biggest trouble zones, and how they've changed, it really helps put it all in perspective.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    no