I can't lose unless I starve?

Options
124»

Replies

• leska1216
    Options
    Whoa!! Just checked your diary. Low carb high protein. Don't think this is going to cut it. Need some carbs -- fruits and veggies are missing from your diet. According to the Canada Food Guide one should eat between 5 and 7 servings a day. You eat 0. I don't believe in using medical issues as an excuse for whatever you are doing. Too many people in pain refuse to move/exercise because it hurts. Do it slowly everyday and it won't hurt. I have multiple medical issues, too, including thyroid. My cancerous thyroid was removed last summer and I am still not stabilized with my meds. But that is still no excuse to not exercise or to not eat. You need to balance protein and carbs, and drink lots of water. Try eating a more balanced diet for a couple weeks and see what happens. Good luck.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to look at helloitsdan- MFP member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i totally understand about the whole money thing. with the insulin resistance, that 160 is waaaay to high! that shows that even if you are not diabetic yet, there is damage being done, which is not good. 2 hrs after a meal i think it needs to be under 140. that actually shows that your insulin is not working properly all the time. you probably need to have an A1c test done. that will show how your insuliln has been over the last 3 months. the mega dips and such might have something to do with the insulin resistance. you probably need to try to get a dr to prescribe you Metformin. it is a medication used to help manage IF and Type2 diabetes.

Oh, sorry.. 2 hours after was always below 110, the 160 was after either the 30 or 45 minute mark. I was checking every 15 minutes to plot the curve, and that was the highest point in it. If I recall that was also while still digesting a carby meal but from which I'd also gone down a bit (with white rice if I recall). But it has been a couple of months. I did write it down somewhere..
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    I hope your Fiber is high maybe around 40-60g. This makes you feel full and lowers cravings. Again we are all tackling something that defies logic and therefore one has to stick at it with its disappointments, discouragements, disbeliefs along the way. It is part of the whole thing. Accept it and move on......................

It is easy gain and slow loss for most people. Myself included. It may take a whole month to loss one pound and we should be very grateful for it. Yet in a years time, you may end up 20 loss. if not just 12 lbs. That is better than nothing. Worrying about all this throws your metabloism into a state of confusion. Being grateful for the smalest thing, the smallest conquest, the smallest gain, is much better than attaching a negative to it all.............................

It all boils down to eating less calorries and burning more. Doing this every day, the odds are in your favor to eventually lose. It is in the numbers. It is the only practical way. You are getting as much if not more moral and mental support on this site than in outside this site. Be grateful for that too! To eat less calories, does not mean you do not starve. The body should not go into starve mode. If it does, it will immediately start slowing down its metabolism and go into fat storing programming. Adding more fiber into your diet will also diminish sugar cravings, which usually follows when a person thinks they can deprive themselves of eating. I have not seen your diary, but i bet there is less focus on fiber. Pills do not work.
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    i totally understand about the whole money thing. with the insulin resistance, that 160 is waaaay to high! that shows that even if you are not diabetic yet, there is damage being done, which is not good. 2 hrs after a meal i think it needs to be under 140. that actually shows that your insulin is not working properly all the time. you probably need to have an A1c test done. that will show how your insuliln has been over the last 3 months. the mega dips and such might have something to do with the insulin resistance. you probably need to try to get a dr to prescribe you Metformin. it is a medication used to help manage IF and Type2 diabetes.

Oh, sorry.. 2 hours after was always below 110, the 160 was after either the 30 or 45 minute mark. I was checking every 15 minutes to plot the curve, and that was the highest point in it. If I recall that was also while still digesting a carby meal but from which I'd also gone down a bit (with white rice if I recall). But it has been a couple of months. I did write it down somewhere..

ok that might be different then where it wasnt long after eating, especially if it was a carby meal.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Whoa!! Just checked your diary. Low carb high protein. Don't think this is going to cut it. Need some carbs -- fruits and veggies are missing from your diet. According to the Canada Food Guide one should eat between 5 and 7 servings a day. You eat 0. I don't believe in using medical issues as an excuse for whatever you are doing. Too many people in pain refuse to move/exercise because it hurts. Do it slowly everyday and it won't hurt. I have multiple medical issues, too, including thyroid. My cancerous thyroid was removed last summer and I am still not stabilized with my meds. But that is still no excuse to not exercise or to not eat. You need to balance protein and carbs, and drink lots of water. Try eating a more balanced diet for a couple weeks and see what happens. Good luck.

I appreciate the concern. Yes, I am doing low-carbing currently to hopefully help with the hormonal issues even if it doesn't cause weight loss (so much conflicting info on what to do for various issues, but I chose this to stick with for a month and see), but as I've mentioned in this thread I've been at this for months. I've tried high fruit/veggie, fresh and frozen (never added flavors or sauces of any kind unless I made them from scratch). No difference to weight loss except when I did ALL fruit/veg and raw, but that was too expensive to maintain. I've tried gardening, but I went through some very sick periods (it happens a few times a year) and could not keep it up and there was no one else to help.. that's another issue entirely though.
    Doing something slowly every day, maybe that's a good idea though. Now that the hot weather has passed, walking once or twice a day should be very doable, maybe I can at least walk a block or so even through the tough periods. I don't recall it helping with weight loss, but it does help with the mental outlook a bit.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here. You don't have a balanced diet at all...and I just peeked at the past couple of days and saw fast food, chips and salsa, a whole lot of brats and red meat. Hardly any veggies or fruit. Maybe try switching tactics and revamp your eating. And by your diary it looks like you eat 3 heavy meals per day...how bout switching to 6 smaller meals/snacks spaced evenly throughout the day? that's how I've been eating for years..it revs my metabolism and keeps my energy level up. I didn't look at your exercise, but if you want consistent results you have to put forth consistent effort. And remember, muscle burns fat. Try some weight training...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^this! Thank you! One of my friends has severe MS and she's still doing what she can every single day!!
  • rfsinfwb
    Options
    Starving yourself is not going to work. If you deprive yourself, you will yoyo. Everyone's different, but I will tell you what works for me and why. It also addresses some of the other comments like balanced diet. Don't set your calorie intake by Myfitness pal. They use the Millican St. Joer equation, which sets the calories too high. 1500 is not a bad, though.

Your goal now is to eat to raise your metabolism. Here's the good news: don't eat three meals per day, eat five. Each meal is 300 calories. Never skip a meal and always eat breakfast or you will never raise your metabolism. Eat healthy foods . Use Michi's ladder (available at beachbody.com) to select your foods and stick as best you can to tiers one and two. Drink a lot of water throughout the day. Get determined and stay with it. This is a diet strategy that athletes use, precisely because it amps up metabolism.

Then move. Start slow and comfortable, then each day move a little more and a little faster.

Check out my diary as it is what I do. And note I have health issues too - heart disease among them. I had a heart attack at age 37. I'm now 53 and getting healthier each day. No recurrence of the attack and I now do insane workouts! In fact my current workout routine is called Insanity. A few years ago, many wrote me off as dead. I am not special and if I can do it, so can you!
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You could simply be on a plateau. Work on increasing your activity level a bit and make sure you log absolutely everything every day for the next month and see if that helps.

When I was losing, it wasn't unheard of for me to be on a plateau for a solid 6-8 weeks. It sucked, but eventually it breaks and you can drop a lot quickly.

I went from 218 to 176 on 1500-1800 calories per day, so that calorie level sounds reasonable to me.

GREAT ADVICE
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    The scale is the jerk that cuts you off in a line, or says something insensitive to you when you're at your most vunerable. Do what you would do to that jerk...ignore it.

:heart:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Doing something slowly every day, maybe that's a good idea though. Now that the hot weather has passed, walking once or twice a day should be very doable, maybe I can at least walk a block or so even through the tough periods. I don't recall it helping with weight loss, but it does help with the mental outlook a bit.

I had to start making small changes. Things that didn't manifest in quick weight loss. I didn't aim to go from fast food four times a week to chicken and broccoli three times a day. I probably spent two years on and off calorie counting, and counting all my bad fast food choices. When I finally got my act together on cooking real food for myself, and financially just didn't have the excuse anymore, I was able to cut fast food to probably once every 1-2 weeks now. That helps me to eat what I really want to eat when I do indulge. I eat a lot more veggies now (love the bags of frozen "stir fry" veggies you can buy from most grocery stores, usually 5-7 minutes and I can make anywhere from 1-4 cups of delicious veggies). I still incorporate some ice cream most nights in my calorie count. Don't think I could do it otherwise.

On exercise - I started with the goal of walking 3 times a week (for me at lunch at work happened to be easiest). Then I tried to hit the "government guidelines" which is I think 2.5 hours a week of exercise. Did that for a while. Last year was doing enough walking that the bug bit me and I decided to start C25k. Barring a few minor setbacks (sort of like watching what you eat) I've been running about a year. Never saw myself as a runner. Definitely slow and overweight but I love the challenge of it. You just need to find that thing for you. Might be walking with your favorite podcast, biking, swimming, whatever.

And lastly (sorry long winded, and sorry dudes) I have really terrible TOM. Have always. Painful, heavy, awful. I talked to my OBGYN and have been on the pill for years to help regulate this. One of my OBGYN's back in the day suggested I use the pill to "skip" periods. If you have bad time of month, consider talking to your doctor about this. And I never thought it would be possible to exercise through that horrible week of my life. But I was running pretty heavily and didn't want to cut back on my training so I gave it a try. Suprisingly I think it helped. Lessened the whole thing, reduced the pain. I have a theory that if your body thinks it's trying to survive (or slowly jog away from predators or whatever) it will cut back just a little on unnecessary and painful things. Worth trying. I wish you luck.