Question about how much to eat

Options
So this may be a silly question, if it's even a question at all - more of a discussion around a thought I had yesterday.

Last night, I made a salad with grilled chicken, croutons, light salad dressing, etc. It was pretty big. I measured out everything and it came out to 411 calories. I used a lot of lettuce, spinach, carrots. After I was done eating, I was stuffed. I barely was able to finish it.

Tonight, I made a whole wheat pasta dish with ground turkey meat and tomato basil sauce - 637 calories. I hadn't eaten much during the day so I had to make sure I got enough calories. Again, I got done feeling very full.

So my question is - although I was conscious about my calorie intake, made healthy choices - is it bad to feel so full, even though calories were at my limit? I felt like I put on 10 pounds after I was done eating. Should I have eaten something else throughout the day so I could avoid having my portion size so large? Just wondering if what I did was OK. My diary is open if anyone cares to look.

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would say it's okay to feel full. the only time I wouldn't eat a full meal to cap off calories for the day is if it was too late in the evening. As long as you aren't gorging on unhealthy foods at 9pm or later you should be fine. That said if you're not hungry there's no need to force yourself to eat.
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It does not matter when you eat your portions over the day from the point of view of your body breaking it down into energy ect. But it can have a psychological effect that is either positive or negative ... Which one will depend on you. It you like the feeling and the pattern then stick with it. If you don't like it or find yourself disliking it later, then change to something else.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I also agree that when you eat doesn't matter. Its what you eat and how many calories per day. I like to save alot of my calories for dinner and evening snacking. I don't like going to bed hungry and this just works better for me.

If something works I see no reason to change it. However, if your feeling full is not a good full feeling then maybe just eat alittle bit less. Find what works for you, Good Luck
  • I find it interesting that you ask that, because it seems most people who are trying to lose weight complain about being hungry and not being full!

Anyways, to answer your concern, I think that it may be a sign that you need to shift your timing for your caloric intake.

A. Nutrition experts say that it is important to space out your meals, and to include snacks, throughout the day. It is good for your metabolism.

B. It makes sense to say that your body burns the most calories during the day, so naturally, you will want to consume the most calories during the day. If you consume the majority of your calories at night, you end up going to sleep with a full stomach, and your body has this energy that it doesn't know what to do with. Maybe the timing does not matter, but if you are looking to feel energized during the day, you probably want to try and eat more calories during the day.

I got this information from researching the internet, reading articles, books, etc. So, I would say that you should start the day off with a bigger breakfast. Or, add a mid-morning snack to your schedule. Add some fruit, like a banana or an apple. Then, make your dinner smaller.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to be careful of is stretching out your stomach. When you eat enough that you feel very full, you stretch out your stomach and if you keep doing that, eventually you will not feel full with smaller quantities of food. If you are starting to feel full, just cut the portion in half and then wait an hour or two and eat the other half . Eating several small meals a day instead of three larger ones is better anyway - your body uses the calories right away rather than storing anything to be burned later.