Weight problems due to health problems (PCOS)

Options
2»

Replies

• hoczus
    hoczus Posts: 6
    Options
    I am very happy to read this thread! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002. I was 19, and I just knew something was wrong. I had just gotten married, and was on my husbands insurance. It was a now or never moment. I've been on and off metformin for years. I've recently went back on it after stopping it due to not so fun bathroom issues. I now work as a CNA and I can't be leaving residents to their own devices while I hope and pray I make it to the bathroom on time. I'm on half the dose I was on, and I don't see a difference at all. I do hope that it is doing its job though. This whole weight loss journey is about me coming to love my body. I'm doing this for ME! I've hated my body for years... for being fat, for having no energy, for not giving me another child, etc. Its time for me to realize that I have a body that works... might not work the same way as a normal womans body does, but it works, and I have to take care of it. I'm working on loving myself!
    So far what is working for me is stop eating all white foods... No white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc... I eat 100% whole wheat bread, and whole wheat pastas when I feel I need them. I'm not much of a veggie eater though, so I try to add them into the meal as much as possible because I don't like salads and I don't like eating side veggies. I've been staying very honest when I enter in my food intake here, and I try to stay conscience of calories throughout the day. I have had some really bad days where I do reach for the chips and the peanut m&ms, but I try not to beat myself up... tomorrow is a new day. Day by day... one day at a time... I'm not doing this for no one but me, and I'm going to enjoy my time doing it!
  • mandakay
    Options
    Wow! After reading all these posts and the research I've done on this medication, I'm a little concerned about starting it. How bad are the bathroom issues? My doctor is going to start me on the medication this week. I just want to know a little more. Thanks for all the help and information. It has helped a lot.

Mandakay
  • AMPayne1115
    AMPayne1115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with PCOS for years, and so has my mom and sister. (It is hereditary). There are medications that you can take, like the others have mentioned, to regulate your menstrual cycles and resume ovulation, which would be important if you want to become pregnant. I didn't want to be on any medication, though, so I decided to read about the syndrome to learn more. I am now back in school to get my license as a dietitian, with the hopes of counseling women with PCOS.

I have managed to lose 70 pounds, although it has taken me about 3 years. Women with PCOS lose weight differently and more slowly than others, so you have to be determined and motivated to stick with it. A diet low in simple carbs and sugars is essential -- sugar seems to be the "fuel" for PCOS, and cutting it out has made a huge difference for me. My cycles have become completely regular and I continue to slowly lose weight, and I'm not on any medication at all. With a serious commitment to a healthy diet, you can take control over PCOS instead of letting it control you. I have some books I can recommend if you're interested. Good luck!