Flat Belly Diet

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Day 9 of 28

Last night I finally sat down with the book and put a check mark by the meals that looked the most interesting to me. I read through them all. Most have 4 or 5 ingredients. I think I found one meal where I had all of the ingredients. So, I wrote down the things I didn't have. A lot of the brands/products have been a challenge for me to find. It sure takes longer at the store when I don't know if they even have what I'm looking for! Take unsweetened cornflakes. How hard should that be to find? There is this huge selection of cereals, and finding one with no sweetener is really difficult! I found one at Whole Foods on the first big shopping trip, but haven't located any in the groceries by my house yet.

Today I found olive tapenade - whatever that is. I'm the only person in my family who doesn't like olives. I'll eat them cooked in most things, but I've never stuck them on my fingers to eat them like a treat. But some meals looked interesting that had the olive tapenade as an ingredient. I also picked up roasted red peppers. I've never had them from a jar... I got a different brand of rye crackers - I hope they are basically equivalent. I still haven't located Thomas' whole wheat Sahara wrap. I wasn't sure if that was more like a whole wheat tortilla or pita bread. I went for the pita. Oscar Meyer had the only turkey bacon I could find. This is not a grocery list for the faint of heart! Or for those who must watch every dime.

For example all summer, I had plenty of mint, basil and other herbs growing on my deck and hardly used them. Now, it's winter, and I'm paying two bucks for fresh herbs!

Starting tomorrow, I'll finally have some "official" flat belly meals!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Day 10 of 28

Well today was a "perfect" Flat Belly Diet day, and a perfect MFP day. Double win!

Breakfast - Bananna-nut Oatmeal
    Lunch - Waldorf Pita
    Snack - Blueberry Smoothie
    Dinner - Salmon Steak Almondine

My exercise today was sufficent to cover the 1600 calories - bingo! Perfect day!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Jan,
    Thank you for the interesting posts. How is your husband doing with this?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    What does sassy water do?
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Well, for various reasons, I've ended up following it more closely.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    What does sassy water do?

The ginger is supposed to calm the digestive system. I think the rest is just for taste. It helps me drink more water.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Day 11 of 28

Today could have been a "bad food day" in that my morning at work was stressful, and I went in search of something to munch on. So I decided to split my afternoon snack and eat half. I took a look at the "snack" menu in the book and found one that had popcorn and Parmesan cheese. I've never had that as a combination before, but okay. That satisfied my desire to snack. I was a little concerned that I'd feel hungry later in the day and set myself up for trouble. But all turned out alright.

Breakfast was a repeat from yesterday - Oatmeal with pecans & bananas. I've never eaten it like that before then.

I wasn't even really hungry when I got the urge for the mid-morning snack. It's the first clearly emotional eating challenge I've had since I started this.

For lunch, I tried a one outside of anything I would have thought of - Salmon Sandwich. Instead of using canned salmon, I took 2 oz of Salmon I'd cooked for dinner the night before. I'd eaten Ezekiel sprouted grain bread before, but it had been a really long time and I couldn't remember if I liked it or not. I put on the olive tapenade, tomato & lettuce. Considering I'm not a big olive fan, it was pretty tasty. I'd repeat it, but probably not often. There are lots of turkey meals in this plan, and I wanted something different. So it served its purpose.

It's listed as 400 calories, but it didn't seem quite as filling as usual. I went back to the book to see if I'd missed a "side" to go with the sandwich. Nope. That was it. I'd have to say my hunger ratings were -2 before lunch and probably 2 immediately after lunch. Perhaps that was still a hold over from the morning's stress snack!

I had the remainder of my snack before going to the gym. By then I pretty much felt back on track.

I picked up some groceries on the way home and made the California Turkey Salad for dinner. I just realized I used the ginger sesame dressing instead of the balsamic vinaigrette. I thought that was an odd paring with walnuts and gorgonzola cheese! Well, I liked it anyway.

Tomorrow I'm going to an all day community service type meeting. It's my first time where I don't know what food will be around - so I'm going to pack some turkey wraps, nuts and such to make sure I have essentials to get me through the day.

When I started this thread - I really thought there would be others on this plan that would join in... It's turned out to be a blog!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    There is a Domino's Pizza banner ad at the top of the page... just seems cruel...
  • jyt2573
    Options
    I have been drinking a lot of Trader Joe's organic Green tea lately...it makes me all warm and yummy!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I have been drinking a lot of Trader Joe's organic Green tea lately...it makes me all warm and yummy!

Wow! All that from tea!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Day 12 of 28

Today I had an all day meeting with a group of volunteers from a non-profit organization I support. It was a fun day - but posed food challenges.

I fixed a peanut butter & banana english muffin for breakfast, and packed a lunch and snack to take with me. There was a ton of food there. The only thing I had that was off my plan was a small (5 oz) cup of coffee with creamer. It would have been really easy to just forget I brought anyting and have a splurge day. But I really want to see if this plan works - so that helped keep me on track. I was pretty proud of myself for packing lunch and taking care of myself.

Only one person asked me about it.

The hardest part was not partaking in fresh baked cookies.

I got home in time to fix dinner - I ended up replecating last night's dinner.

I didn't have a chance to get in much exercise today, so I went over my MFP calories for the day. That's a bit hard for me - I always prefer to be just under my MFP daily calories.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    WOW! I have enjoyed reading you post and following your journey! What is the exact measurement for the sassy water?
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ok, well your journals sucked me right in!! :)
    I very curious about the program you are doing!
    Thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more!
    Good luck with the rest if the month!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would like the recipe for sassy water too! I have troubles getting my 8 glasses in!!
  • clothestoburn
    clothestoburn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, great job! I got this book the other day from my mom (who never used it for more than a couple days). I have been using the MFP plan for almost a year now with great results. But the belly fat, now is my primary issue and of course the last thing to go.

I have read all of your threads, very interesting by the way. As I sit here with my grocery list for the next first four days,
    I think am I ready for this? should I do it? will I do it after four days? What will I feed the family?

Do you have any answers or advice?
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Yes, I would like the recipe for sassy water too! I have troubles getting my 8 glasses in!!

I use 8 cups of water, 1 lemon, 1/2 large cucumber (or one small one), and a half tablespoon freshly grated garlic. I then crush and add about a dozen mint leaves. Let it sit over night. You can strain it or not when you pour it.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Hi, great job! I got this book the other day from my mom (who never used it for more than a couple days). I have been using the MFP plan for almost a year now with great results. But the belly fat, now is my primary issue and of course the last thing to go.

I have read all of your threads, very interesting by the way. As I sit here with my grocery list for the next first four days,
    I think am I ready for this? should I do it? will I do it after four days? What will I feed the family?

Do you have any answers or advice?

Yeah, I'd skip the cream of wheat! :-)

I don't have to worry about cooking for more than two, so I'm not sure about that part - but if I were doing it all over again - I'd not have doubled the dry goods for two when I shopped at the beginning. I'd also have picked and made a shopping list for the first couple of days after the jumpstart. Get mor ginger than you think you'll need.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Day 13 of 28

I broke one of the three rules today. I didn't mean to or plan to. I had breakfast, went to the gym, came home fixed lunch and went to see Avatar. We drove an extra distance to go to an IMAX theatre to see it in 3D. Well worth the outrageous admission price and extra drive. We went with friends and had a good time. Waht I messed up was I thought I'd be back home in four hours in time for my snack. But no. By hour 5 I was cranky - by the time I got to fix food it was dinner time. Arrgh.

I decided before the movie - no popcorn & such, and no one even offered, so that worked out just fine.

This morning for breakfast I had the breakfast tacos. I used the processed egg whites from a container like they suggest - but next time, I'm just using fresh egg whites. That's one I'll probably do again. Next time I'll also wilt the spinich a tad in the microwave and drain the salsa a bit - that will help the corn torillas not fall apart so fast.

Tonight was a black bean burger - I'm not sure I actually followed a recipie, but it came out around 400 calories - whole wheat english muffin, morning star spicy black bean burger, slice of tomato, bit of romaine, deli mustard and a laughing cow swiss spread on the inside top of the muffin. I had red pepper and cashews on the side.

As of today, I've lost exactly six pounds. My measurements haven't changed much recently, but I look thinner and have less "muffin top" over my jeans. The main thing that is clear is that I haven't gained wt by eating 1600 calories a day.
  • clothestoburn
    clothestoburn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Jan. I gonna give it a try. Just made my sassy water for tomorrow. Cream of Wheat I will try. It's the Talipia I can't do, I'm gonna replace with chicken. Everything else I can do for 4 days. I will spend the next days seeing if I can plan the 28 days that follow. Thanks again.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options

I use 8 cups of water, 1 lemon, 1/2 large cucumber (or one small one), and a half tablespoon freshly grated garlic. I then crush and add about a dozen mint leaves. Let it sit over night. You can strain it or not when you pour it.

Jan: Above you mentioned garlic. Do you really use garlic or did you mean ginger? I love your blog! It has been interesting to read your new adventure. Stick with it you are doing great!