Question about cutting carbs:

Options
Ok. So, the biggest issue with carbs is my celiac disease. I literally cannot eat anything with wheat, barley or rye and I am allergic to oats. So, I found this diet on dietpoint that was called "Simple Paleo" and it has been working really well. I have lost weight, feel better, and am enjoying eating again because I got rid of all processed foods, so I dont have to worry about reading ingrediant labels. My question is, this paleo diet has nothing from the bread/grain/cereal food group at all. Is that bad? I'm eating tons of fruits and vegetables, protein, healthy fats, and I added dairy back in because I think my body needs that. But, is there anything wrong with just getting rid of the grain group? It gives me nothing but headaches anyway...

Replies

• kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I low carb (30g or less per day) and I do not eat breads, cereals, etc). Now I will occasionally have a low carb wrap/tortilla or make a flax muffin but generally I stick to meat, cheese, eggs and a select group of veggies.
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor or dietician, but if you're covering your B vitamins, (you're taking a multivitamin, aren't you?) i think you don't need it.

I've been enjoying the flax minute muffin that's nothing but ground flax, baking powder, egg and oil... (optional packet of stevia & half teaspoon of cinnamon) I understand that bobs red mill is a good celiac-friendly brand.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Ideally, an entire food group (unless it's processed sugar, etc) should not be cut out without a medical reason.

You have Celiac, which is a great reason to cut grains. If you feel better and are getting good results, keep doing what you're doing!
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty much the same boat with grain intolerances. I bake with coconut flour for treats. It's delightful, but it's not necessary. :)