Going Gluten free

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I really don't know why people get so defensive when someone wants to cut gluten out of their life. It basically cuts all the processed crap out (as long as you don't go out of your way to eat the guten free bread and pasta). I cut gluten out because it made me tired and I was extreeeeeeemely addicted to it and would always be fluctuating with my weight as long as it was in my life. It was not pointless to me and I did not need a doctor's diagnosis to tell me how I felt after I ate it. It was a very important decision and a life changing one. I could venture a few guesses as to why people get soooo defensive as before I gave up guten I was defensive about not giving it up too. It only proved to me that I had a problem with it that I wasn't addressing. I am no on again off again guten free person, I cut it completely out of my life 2 years ago and never went back. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions and the people who are getting super defensive should look inside to see why because it is a choice she wants to make and it has nothing to do with you guys. I know when I get the most defensive about things, I start looking inside myself for answers. She is trying to find her way and posting this topic was her way of learning about it. People who get mad about someone else's decision which would not hurt her in anyway need to do some of their own soul searching!!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this because of health reasons, I'd consult a doctor. If not for health reasons, it's quite pointless.

So nice, telling someone their diet is pointless. Really? She said she has indigestion, and is willing to try something that may help it. Have you ever tried to go gluten-free? If not, how do you know it's pointless?

Have you ever read about why gluten is problematic for so many people? If not, here's a place to start:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-common-is-gluten-sensitivity/#axzz272iGca7j

It's not just about Celiacs. Many people find that eliminating gluten also helps reduce allergies, inflammation, and... wait for it... weight!

What I said was that if it's NOT for health reasons then it's pointless. Yes, I'll stand by that. Everything you argued, was a "health reason" indigestion, allergies, inflammation. I mean... I'm not a doctor, but I'd say those are all health reasons.

I never said her diet was pointless, get it right Ms. I said that cutting out gluten for non health reasons is pointless. And thank you for the reading material. I actually have done my reading on Celiac disease and how gluten can be problematic for people with "health" issues....and I have gone gluten free for "health" reasons.

Ok, I have to really stretch to agree that you are not telling the OP her choice is pointless. It certainly comes off that way. But I'll concede that point.

I still disagree, with your general point. Grains are not terribly nutrient dense, and any nutrients you get from them can be obtained from more nutrient dense foods. I choose not to eat grains so that I have more room in my diet for veggies. I also choose not to eat grains because of their relatively high carb content, and I prefer to get my carbs from veggies and fruit. The big reason for me, though, is that grains tended to be the foods that I overate, which is the initial reason I eliminated them. It wasn't until AFTER eliminating them that I realized that they were causing me health issues also. Many people do not associate the health issues they have with gluten until they try eliminating, and then find they feel better. So... not pointless at all to try eliminating gluten, and see how you feel. Oh, and by eliminating grains and replacing them with veggies, I'm losing weight. That doesn't seem pointless to me.
  • caribougal
    Options
    All these restrictions are usually supported by bullsh!t reasons that are usually untrue--really it's just an effort to mask an individual's desire to further restrict a food group as a means to lose weight. I hate that crap.

Are you saying that eliminating gluten is bull****? Because that's what this thread is about. I think there will be a lot of people who suffer from gluten disagreeing with you on that one.

I'd be interested in understanding why it bothers you so much when people decide to eliminate foods to help lose weight. If someone knows they tend to abuse a particular kind of food, and eliminating it helps them to eat healthier, then what's the problem? I found that when I eliminated all grains and refined sugars, my cravings for those foods that I used to overeat has all but disappeared. That is helping me lose weight and be more healthy. And, I feel like it's a way of eating that is totally sustainable for me, because I am always full, I find I snack less between meals, and my food is delicious.

(edited because I forgot to add my reply!)
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is rediculous!

You DO NOT have to be "only" Celiac to eat Gluten Free.

It's NOT some Hollywood Hype...that comment really got my goat.

Some people are seriously allergic to Wheat. I am one of them. I do not have celiacs, but I have a severe gluten intollerence and I have the note from my Doctor to prove it. I've avoided wheat since 2009.

Some of you really should be ashamed.
  • caribougal
    Options
    I am actually getting arsey private messages now because i have DARED to suggest i would like to cut gluten out of my diet!!!

Seriously???

I am sorry i ever posted this thread, what i expected was some stories about going gluten free/having to go gluten free and the issues people faced.

Not an attack on me!

Horrible.

Well, when you post inaccurate information expect feedback (even though I'm surprised anyone would go so far as to send PMs )

Going gluten free is a trendy thing to do as some brain dead Hollywood type have been suggesting it's the best thing since the discovery of fire. If you're one of the small percentage of people who would actually benefit from it then it's a good idea, the vast majority of people doing it are merely sheep who heard something on Dr Oz or read about it in the some trashy grocery store tabloid.

THANK GOD! Exactly what I was trying to say.

Except for apparently when I say it, I'm negative...

Actually, his post was very negative. You didn't mean to imply her choice was pointless, and I appreciate your follow-up comments. His post is calling almost everyone who chooses to eliminate gluten sheepy Oz-followers and trashy tabloid readers. My feelings are so hurt I might Baaaah. Actually, I wonder which hollywood type is gluten free? Probably GOOP. How dare she eat healthy! (I honestly have no idea, I don't read enough trashy grocery store tabloids).
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    All these restrictions are usually supported by bullsh!t reasons that are usually untrue--really it's just an effort to mask an individual's desire to further restrict a food group as a means to lose weight. I hate that crap.

Are you saying that eliminating gluten is bull****? Because that's what this thread is about. I think there will be a lot of people who suffer from gluten disagreeing with you on that one.

I'd be interested in understanding why it bothers you so much when people decide to eliminate foods to help lose weight. If someone knows they tend to abuse a particular kind of food, and eliminating it helps them to eat healthier, then what's the problem? I found that when I eliminated all grains and refined sugars, my cravings for those foods that I used to overeat has all but disappeared. That is helping me lose weight and be more healthy. And, I feel like it's a way of eating that is totally sustainable for me, because I am always full, I find I snack less between meals, and my food is delicious.

(edited because I forgot to add my reply!)

I only have a problem with it when they try to deceive others instead of just calling it what it is--an attempt to remove trigger foods from their diet. People don't need to come up with some excuse to not eat gluten if the underlying reason truly is weight loss--it minimizes the actual severity of the issue for people who truly suffer.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Gluten free cause I WANT TO. Take the advice of some people with as far as you can throw em. You learn by experimenting and finding out what works for you and how it makes you feel! No one us is living in your body.
  • 2ndstar2therite
    2ndstar2therite Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ugh... so much ill-informed know-it-alling on this post. Sorry you got such an insane response FeebRyan. I'm currently avoiding gluten as well... I have a definite wheat intolerance and a dairy allergy and recently have been having allergic symptoms to something I haven't been able to figure out yet, so I'm playing the elimination game and hoping it's not gluten. No wheat is quite easy at this point (it's been about 8 years), but I'll be pretty bummed if I have to take it to the next level. for good. Anyhow, if you need any tips on doing it healthfully, let me know.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I only have a problem with it when they try to deceive others instead of just calling it what it is--an attempt to remove trigger foods from their diet. People don't need to come up with some excuse to not eat gluten if the underlying reason truly is weight loss--it minimizes the actual severity of the issue for people who truly suffer.

Although it's still worth getting tested. The power of suggestion is very strong, and I personally would rather cut out gluten because I KNEW I was sensitive to it rather than some placebo effect making me feel better.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have never ever read a diet suggesting i cut out guluten. Perhaps its because i live in rural England and therefore have never read 'a trashy magazine from a grocery store' in fact, i've never even been in a 'grocery store'

There is something in my diet causing me extreme and chronic heartburn. It is all-consuming, i have to have daily meds to control it or i am literally constantly in pain with it.

My plan is to reduce gluten and wheat-based products. Not completely remove (yet) but so i can see if theses things exacerbate the issues that i have. My doctor is aware of this, not because i have 'asked permission' but i have discussed what i can do to find the issues causing my problems and I have decided that removing wheat would be one of them.

I am hoping that reducing the heavy wheat and gluten based products i eat, will reduce my heartburn and i can come off the medication. It is certainly not 'for weightloss' why would it be? its quite easy to lose weight AND have a balanced diet containing weight.

If anyone here has suffered chronic indigestion, they will understand how it affects weight again. You eat because you are constantly and continually reminded that you have an empty tummy, you are aware that the quickest easiest and cheapest method of controlling it, it to eat food.

I have noticed that my indigestion flares up hugely when i eat

cereals (like bran flakes)
    toast
    wheat based cake products
    certain sauces
    pasta
    other grain based foods
    spelt bread

So yeah... It just seems sensible to me, especially seeing it written down like that!

It isn't a decision i take lightly.

Thanks for the advice about the gluten free products being salty. I will look out for that though really i would like to find good replacements rather than alternatives. So jacket potatoes rather than sandwiches at lunchtime and so on.

mostly because i cannot afford things like 'gluten free bread' i will just have to stop making bread! Or make my own! They have a good range of gluten free flours etc in my local supermarket
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Although it's still worth getting tested. The power of suggestion is very strong, and I personally would rather cut out gluten because I KNEW I was sensitive to it rather than some placebo effect making me feel better.

It would take months of stressful doctors appointments for me to get tested. They dont just 'do' things on the NHS like they 'do' things under private health care.

AND I HAVEN'T MADE ANYTHING UP!!! Now I am being called a liar, nice. You could argue (and i am sure you will) that i 'could' be lying, yes i could. So could you, you could be a middle aged woman called Sharon wearing lycra for all i know. Still have no reason to call you a liar though and it would be nice if that respect was reciprocated.

I am Fiona, i am 28 and for the last 10 years i have suffered with increasing indigestion. It was so bad in my pregnancies i had to sleep almost vertical and drink litres of gaviscon.

You can believe me or not, I really couldnt care less but this is a support thread for me. If you choose not to be supportive, please find another thread.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Indigestion also flares up when i eat porridge oats... annoyingly.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac a few years back as was my mom. I noticed a small drop in weight at first but it was physical changes (no bloating, belly pain, ect) that I noticed more.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Why? Unless you have a medical reason, it's just stupid. Of course, this is my opinion. If you go gluten free, and then decide it's not for you after a certain amount of time, it can actually cause issues for you. Why mess with yourself?
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I have an intolerance to gluten and wheat, but I haven't been tested yet. I'm planning on having a thorough blood test as soon as I can afford it.. but from what I've noticed, after I eat gluten, or wheat, I feel really lethargic.

So I've cut out gluten and wheat and just seeing how I go. So far, so good!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I say I am gluten intolerant. I have had digestion issues since I was a child, first after eating cereal (so I stopped eating cereal) then with cakes or baked goods of any kind (so I stopped eating them) and then about 2 and a half years ago I read that cutting out gluten can help with PCOS which was leaving me crippled in pain more than usual so I thought what the hey and tried it (as I'd tried everything else but losing weight lol). At first I just reduced it in my diet and eventually even small amount would leave me sick and in pain for days so I completely cut it out. Been GF for nearly 2 years now.

It was only the act of reducing the amount of processed foods I ate which made me initially drop a little weight.

The change with how I feel and indigestion issues that made me know I was doing the right thing by my body. If I have gluten now I still react quite strongly to it. I havent been tested and that is only because I wont eat gluten to go and get the test done, I am not going to make myself that sick just for a test, I can't look after my children if I am in bed in pain or have my head in a toilet bowl.

Oh and PCOS pain eased up a lot.... and that was before I lost the weight.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi FeebRyan. I've noticed on the forums in general, quite a few people tend to be very reactive when someone talks about a diet they don't agree with, rather than simply explaining rationally and courteously why they think it's not a good idea. And this isn't very helpful when you're looking for information - because obviously an 'OMG - how stupid!' response doesn't tell you anything about the reasoning behind it, nor does it give you much confidence that the poster is a rational person who knows what they're talking about! Anyway, don't take it personally. It's not about you - it's just the way some people are.

I'll tell you my experience of gluten free. I'm on the autism soectrum, and quite a lot of people believe that a gluten free diet is helpful for people on the autism spectrum. So I tried it for a few months. What I found was that eating simple natural foods, which are naturally gluten-free, had very positive effects on my wellbeing. Foods like fresh fruit, veg, mat, fish, rice. However, eating processed gluten-free food wasn't so helpful - gluten-free bread has no different effect on me from eating regular bread. Same with pasta. So I personally decided the gluten free diet was not helpful for me. I find it far more beneficial to eat mostly natural foods, and to eat in moderation (overeating tends to have a negative effect on my wellbeing). I eat regular pasta and bread, in moderation, with no adverse effects. So I think that, for me at least, it's nothing to do with gluten, but more about eating less processed food, and more natural food, amd also about eating in moderation. Of course, most processed food does contain gluten, so I think perhaps this gives some people the idea that it's gluten that's bad, but I haven't found this to be the case.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences guys x
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    mostly because i cannot afford things like 'gluten free bread' i will just have to stop making bread! Or make my own! They have a good range of gluten free flours etc in my local supermarket

A lot of supermarkets in the UK sell bread cheap at the end of the day when it's about to go out of date. I've often seen very cheap gluten-free bread in Asda on the reduced aisle. And it tends to last longer than its use-by date - or you can freeze it. I've tried it a couple of times - but I don't like the texture at all. It lasts several days though, amd remains soft.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options

A lot of supermarkets in the UK sell bread cheap at the end of the day when it's about to go out of date. I've often seen very cheap gluten-free bread in Asda on the reduced aisle. And it tends to last longer than its use-by date - or you can freeze it. I've tried it a couple of times - but I don't like the texture at all. It lasts several days though, amd remains soft.

Google GF bread recipes too.. it can be a real headache to find a nice GF bread and it can be a waste to buy specific GF bread flour only to find the bread isnt to your taste.. the best breads I have made come from flour mixes I have made myself from recipes found on the net. If you make your own baked goods (much cheaper) be prepared to have a shelf in your pantry full of a heap of different types of GF flour.. I have about 7 types in my pantry atm and there's more I need to get lol