I only ate M&Ms today...oops

Options
13»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I can remember when I used to buy 3 big bags of M&M's, a couple of large bags of reeses peanut butter cups and lay on the couch with the remote. Didnt get up till it was all gone.

Oh god...those were the days.

enjoy your your sugar fest. its over now.

drink a lot of water and remember this feeling.

it's all good.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Great now I want m&m's

Reported

not srs.......I do want m&m's now though:sad:

I know, right? I'm wanting oreos now after mentioning it, but I totally did that to myself!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the person who said 'sounds like you need a life' was actually replying to the poster above her saying 'sounds like you need to plan', it was just poorly directed.

However if they did mean it towards the OP, way harsh.. but I don't think that is how it was directed.

As for the OP, it's not the end of the world. Just do better tomorrow :) There are times when we probably would have thought nothing of polishing of a bag of M&M's. Awareness is the first step! :)

The MFP forums is *no* place for this kind of rational, level-headed logic!

Now, let's get back to crucifying the person who made that comment.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. Fact is, many have a free day each week anyway and this works fine if you are good the rest of the week. Life happens and sometimes you will fancy chocolate more than the healthy stuff. You are still under goal, which is low anyway, and well below your maintenance calories, so it is really no big deal. Think long term. It balances out in the end.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Heck, I'm eating chips right now! lol.

Its one day. So just don't do it tomorrow.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As others have said, one day like that won't hurt.

Now try to learn from it. There are a few things to learn.

1) One day with junk food instead of healthy won't hurt you. Your body can handle that as long as you are normally eating the nutrients it needs. This wasn't an extreme binge, and presumably you are not diabetic. Take your vitamins, and if you eat anything more today make sure it's vitamin-dense.

2) Planning and keeping a few healthy, "emergency" foods around may help you to avoid doing something like this too often.

3) Don't let this be a bigger deal than it should be. Guilt, worry and stress can lead to worse behavior and too much cortisol in your system, hurting you much worse than one day of less healthy eating. Easier said than done, but "let it go".

4) For some people, an open bag of __fill-in-the-blank--M&Ms-cookies-chips__ is an invitation to eat until it's empty. If you are one of those people, don't buy a big bag of M&Ms (etc.). If you must for some reason, portion it out immediately into smaller containers (like plastic bags) and put all but one away.

5) Think about it... did you really enjoy the M&Ms after the first 30 or so? I'm a big fan of chocolate and eating yummy things. For the most part "yucky" foods aren't worth the calories. But foods like M&Ms don't usually taste that good after the first couple of mouthfuls... So try to practice "mindful" eating. Pay attention to every bite of food. Don't multi-task while you eat. Don't eat things without a reason (e.g., hunger, nutrition, yummy). Can you become more aware of everything you put into your mouth?

A few references for mindful eating:
    http://www.tcme.org
    http://amihungry.com

Good luck!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No big deal. A day is a day. But I'm not sure how one can "accidently" eat M&Ms during a movie, after the movie, on the way home, while shopping.....

Next time get a box of Raisinettes too so that you can have some fruit. Fruit is important.

edited because it's "some fruit" not "so fruit"

Dude.. I LOVE raisinettes
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    live life and enjoy. although m&ms dont have any micronutrients:sad: , u probably stayed on track with ur weight loss because u were under ur calories:happy:
    Please check your "facts". Even candy can have some micronutrients. For instance, a small (1.69 oz) bag of M&Ms has 4% of your daily calcium needs, 2% of iron, and 4% of riboflavin (based on that standard 2,000 calorie diet) in the milk chocolate type. Most chocolate also has magnesium and copper. It's just that the nutrition-to-calorie ratio is relatively low, so you'd have to eat too many calories to get a reasonable amount of nutrition.

P.S. The bag also has 1 g of fiber and 2 g of protein.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    live life and enjoy. although m&ms dont have any micronutrients:sad: , u probably stayed on track with ur weight loss because u were under ur calories:happy:
    Please check your "facts". Even candy can have some micronutrients. For instance, a small (1.69 oz) bag of M&Ms has 4% of your daily calcium needs, 2% of iron, and 4% of riboflavin (based on that standard 2,000 calorie diet) in the milk chocolate type. Most chocolate also has magnesium and copper. It's just that the nutrition-to-calorie ratio is relatively low, so you'd have to eat too many calories to get a reasonable amount of nutrition.

P.S. The bag also has 1 g of fiber and 2 g of protein.
    huh???? maybe i shouldnt have used such an absolute term as any micro nutrients but it contains lower than low. u would have to eat 25 bags to get ur calcium requirements, 50 bags to get ur iron, 25 bags to get riboflavin. i love m&ms but there is no way i could eat 25 bags,,,,,maybe 24 lol
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At 38 years old, I have finally found the secret to success (shhh don't tell!). Never give up!!!! You can plan all u want sometimes, but guess what, $k:+ happens"..."..u just pull yourself up by the boot straps and move on. The MOST important thing is to learn from your mistakes......ask yourself, why did I do such and such....what could I have done better and what can I try to do to prevent this sort of "mindless eating" again.

This whole journey is not only about weight loss, but about learning more about ourselves. This in turn helps us make this all into a healthy lifestyle and not just a short term diet with temporary results:)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Any advice (other then don't do it again!)? Drink water/have something healthy/some protein/just don't eat any more?! Is it as bad as I think?
    I had a rushing kind of day, woke up after lunch, had a teaspoonful or two of museli, went to the cinema, bought a big bag of chocolate m&ms which is nearly 900 calories - accidentally eaten nearly all of it, some during the film, some throughout the rest of the day while i've been busy and sidetracked, so i forgot to eat anything else or make dinner or anything and no one wanted to share it like i thought they would.
    I must still be quite a bit under my calorie goal of about 1200 :S! But just on junk :/

eat protein if u want... and if your still lil hungry.. cook up an egg white omeltte w/veggies.. mushroom/spinach.. get some nutrition.... otherwise.. oh well .. its one day and you were a m&m diva.. .. maybe try to keep some fiber one bars or diff things in your purse on hand so dont have so much of something higher cal/no nutrition like m&ms.. (or that much of them) those lil things are killer hign in cals! :sad:
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No need to stress! It was one day and you didn't even blow your set calories. Was it the most nutritious day, no but people aren't perfect and tomorrow is a new day. As for the people who are rude about it, its not like you planned a day to only eat M&Ms, it just happened. Tons of people on here have a no holes barred "cheat day", this was kind of the same thing. At least it was yummy!

My weakness is Reeses Peanutbutter cups. A day of only Reeses Peanutbutter cups....yum!
  • 05suu
    05suu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Pretty sure the person who said 'sounds like you need a life' was actually replying to the poster above her saying 'sounds like you need to plan', it was just poorly directed.

However if they did mean it towards the OP, way harsh.. but I don't think that is how it was directed.

As for the OP, it's not the end of the world. Just do better tomorrow :) There are times when we probably would have thought nothing of polishing of a bag of M&M's. Awareness is the first step! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you have something nutritious for dinner :) Don't worry so much about the calories today, just give your body something good as well
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    I did exactly the same this week and downed 850 cals of Minstrels instead of lunch. I actually felt too queasy to eat again so came in at my calorie goal and have lost 3lb this week.

Maybe it even did me some good! Though I won't do it again in a hurry... Hopefully!

Good luck with the rest of your journey, and go easy on yourself xxx
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've had days like this. Not M&Ms, as I don't like them, but days of eating only Doritos or only sour candy. My advice is don't worry about it - if you eat nothing more today, you may actually feel really refreshed tomorrow, because your body hasn't eaten much, so it's had a rest. That's what I've found - the fact of having eaten less seems to somehow outweigh the fact that what I ate wasn't healthy. For future, I've found it helpful to prepare meals ahead of time. And to prepare healthy snacks of dried fruit and nuts, in plastic containers, to take with you wherever you go.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    wow imagine being able to stay in bed until after lunch and then able to go to the cinema and eat M&Ms enjoy that you can do that!Move on to tomorrow and start again,I dont have the freedom to stay in bed until after 5.15am due to caring commitments and family duties!I envy you the choice!!!!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I thought the same thing, that the "get a life" quote wasn't aimed at the OP.

Group think is interesting. I'm surprised that a poll hasn't popped up to determine the fate of the proclaimed rude poster.

Choose only one:

A. Hang em' high at noon
    B. Burn him at the stake at midnight
    C. Throw him to the lions at dawn.

Was the poster rude to the OP or did some of the group misinterpret the aim of the quote?

I think we should pause for thought about intent before reaching for the torch.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    it all actuality it was probably aimed at my post "sounds like you need to plan"...which was simply the truth. everyone else is right, one day isnt going to kill the op...op just needs to plan....

whoever the get a life post was aimed at, was still dumb no matter who it was aimed at