Do I have to jog?

Options
I hate jogging...
Is it really that essential?
Can I get away with my exercise bike and big walks and swimming? And other things that aren't jogging!!!

Replies

• alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    yes you can do other forms of cardio.

I only resorted to running because it was the one thing my body wasn't used to. revved up my weightloss though!
  • rocraz
    Options
    Hi there Ebony,

yes, you don´t need to jog. If you don´t like jogging, just don´t care about it and do what pleases you. Biking and swimming are just as efficient as jogging. Hiking (walking along mountains, close to nature) is also a wonderful exercise (at least for me).

I myself do jog every other day. But I was used to swimming, which is the one I like most. Unfortunately due to shoulder problems I had to quit swimming (or face a surgery, which even the doctor didn´t recommend). So I learned to enjoy jogging (I didn´t like jogging before) and now it´s my favourite exercise. I don´t compete though!

So, just do the exercise that you enjoy and it´ll become parte of your life and the right way for weight control.

Cheers
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    There is no rule that says you must run or jog!

I have cartilage removed from my knee so really struggle to jog or run.......so I grab whatever alternative cardio I can find! Usually 4-8 miles of brisk walking daily, plus the machines at the gym - rower/stepper/crosstrainer.

I kinda wish I could run, but happy with what I do!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I feel like jogging wears me out or makes me puffed a lot quicker and by avoiding it im sort of cheating myself..
    Even though I push really hard when I'm on the bike etc...
    But then on the other hand I tell myself that anything I'm doing now is better than the nothing I was doing before.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    But then on the other hand I tell myself that anything I'm doing now is better than the nothing I was doing before.

bingo!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Run, walk, bike, row, aerobics, swimming, slide boards, ellipticals, stair mills, steppers, hiking.... pretty much anything that keeps you moving and your heart rate up for a sustained period of time will work.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything you don't want to. I hate swimming, so I don't do it. TBH I don't lift weights either and somehow still manage to have ended up looking toned.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you enjoy so long as you are exercising. I had sort of plateaued on my weight loss until I started running. After that the pounds started dropping off again. I don't like running but I like that I can run so I keep it up. 6 months ago I couldn't run 100 yards, today I am doing a 9 mile training run to help me get ready for my first half.

No, you don't have to run but be careful or you might start to like it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I hate jogging...
    Can I get away with my exercise bike and big walks and swimming? And other things that aren't jogging!!!

Has someone said jogging is essential? I'd rather do a hundred other exercises/sports than jog/run.

If you want to get the best out of your gym bike, try doing HIIT: 30 seconds at hardest setting you can manage without giving yourself a hernia and do it as fast as you can, 30 seconds at level 1/easiest. Repeat for 30 minutes. Feel free to call me a *kitten* at the end cos your legs will be calling me that. :laugh:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to jog....I'm living proof.

I was having minor anxiety attacks for C25K runs because I was worried if I fell (didn't take my phone with me). So I started using the program on the elliptical trainer in my living room.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Of course. Real cardio gets your heart rate up over 120-130. Unless you are walking briskly, that isn't going to happen.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Of course. Real cardio gets your heart rate up over 120-130. Unless you are walking briskly, that isn't going to happen.

=/= running.

I used to swim and that DEFINITELY counts as cardio as well as biking, dancing, aerobic, zumba, ANYTHING that gets you moving and your heart rate up.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you enjoy so long as you are exercising. I had sort of plateaued on my weight loss until I started running. After that the pounds started dropping off again. I don't like running but I like that I can run so I keep it up. 6 months ago I couldn't run 100 yards, today I am doing a 9 mile training run to help me get ready for my first half.

No, you don't have to run but be careful or you might start to like it.

^^^^ This!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No

Or jog slower. The argument that you might be avoiding a challenge is a relevant one though. If you train your weaknesses, those are the areas that you have the most to gain from training them. There's certainly no reason to do something you truly hate though.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I hate jogging...

Has someone said jogging is essential? I'd rather do a hundred other exercises/sports than jog/run.

If you want to get the best out of your gym bike, try doing HIIT: 30 seconds at hardest setting you can manage without giving yourself a hernia and do it as fast as you can, 30 seconds at level 1/easiest. Repeat for 30 minutes. Feel free to call me a *kitten* at the end cos your legs will be calling me that. :laugh:

I do this every day :)
    Usually about 45 min or till my legs won't let me do more,
    And yeah it gets my heart rate way up and lots of sweat and exhausting,
    But I'm never out of breath like I am with jogging .. Does that matter ?
  • j5whattup
    Options
    You do HIIT for 45 minutes?? No wonder you hate running. :)

I think you should do whatever you enjoy and is going to get you the results that you're looking for. I used to hate running but then when I saw how many calories I was burning in a short period of time I learned to love it. I rarely do HIIT because I hate it . Especially because I get so out of breath. Instead I run 3-4 miles runs a couple times a week, and then one 6-8 mile run on the weekend, all at a steady pace. That's been giving me the results I'm looking for so I stick with it.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    You do HIIT for 45 minutes?? No wonder you hate running. :)

I think you should do whatever you enjoy and is going to get you the results that you're looking for. I used to hate running but then when I saw how many calories I was burning in a short period of time I learned to love it. I rarely do HIIT because I hate it . Especially because I get so out of breath. Instead I run 3-4 miles runs a couple times a week, and then one 6-8 mile run on the weekend, all at a steady pace. That's been giving me the results I'm looking for so I stick with it.

It's not something I enjoy - just that it really gets me the results and helps smash through plateaus/avoid plateaus so I avoid steady state work altogether. For instance, I'm considering taking up swimming and will do HIIT rather than pacing up and down. In my experience, at least, HIIT helps whilst steady state gives the opposite results unless I go for kerazy amounts of distance that are not convenient eg cycle at least 100km a week. I am wondering if it's because I was fairly lean to start out with and someone who has more weight to lose would benefit for a long while by cycling a reasonable distance a week eg 20-30km vs not doing anything. Sorry for the ramble.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I do this every day :)
    Usually about 45 min or till my legs won't let me do more,
    And yeah it gets my heart rate way up and lots of sweat and exhausting,
    But I'm never out of breath like I am with jogging .. Does that matter ?

What does the reflection in the mirror tell you? Presumably, you're trying to lose weight/trim up like most MFPers. If cycling works for you, continue.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Doing something you don't like can increase your chances of giving up. Yes, we can all be stoical from time to time and tell ourselves that we should never give in and learn to love the pain. However, doing something you like will always seem less like work and a chore, and it feels more of a pleasure, so therefore our chances of continuing with a beneficial activity increase.