Turning down invitations because of calories

Options
2»

Replies

• karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't drink but I go out. I am gluten intolerant so people never expect me to eat. I love to socialize and drink lots of water. It is a win/win situation!
  • delwen57
    delwen57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't stop living your life just because your watching your calories, take your own drink of choice and have small helpings
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I absolutely would not turn down an invite because I'm afraid of calories. That's restrictive dieting and restrictive dieting does not work.

Make better choices, but don't sweat going over from time to time. A couple times a month I will go as much as 2000 over my goal. It' certainly hasn't hurt me in the long run.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    GO.....have fun.

Order everything you think you want, keeping it within reason..............then take a bite or two of everything while sipping cold water and chatting with the company you're with.

YOU have to have fun once in awhile.......you cant shut yourself up and hide away from others. Thats a recipe for disaster.

GO and have fun
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's hard when everyone else is munching on buffalo chicken wings and downing margaritas...but hanging with friends is not about the food- it's about friendship.

^^ This ^^
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me I am trying to change my lifestyle so that I am healthier rather than being on a diet. Part of life is going out with friends so I say find a way to make it work if it is only the fear of calories stopping you.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too... I just try to come and be with people but get something very small. Worst case - don't get anything, but it's no use sitting home alone and being miserable!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I make exceptions. granted I only go out about once a month because I work two jobs and keep busy.

It's okay to have fun once in a while.

I went to a friend's yesterday and even ate dessert. Today i am back on it and gonna work out an extra 20-30 minutes to make up for it :)
  • rocraz
    Options
    HI there,

I never turn down invitations because of calories. Either I plan ahead and don´t have many calories before (and often order a caesar´s salad or something like that) or just go for the sake of meeting my friends.

When we are going to meet at a friend´s place, instead of eating I´m the one who often prepare or help preparing the food (or desert) itself. That helps me a lot :-)
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I never choose caloires over dinner/drinks/friends. I look at my calorie intake over the week. If I know I'm going to meet friends and probably sink a bottle of wine, I just adjust my calories for that week and I'm more likely to up my exercise to give me extra calories. A game of squash is a bottle of wine. As for food, I might choose a healthier option, or just a small portion of something. Hope that helps.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Give yourself a chance to succeed! I don't think thin and lonely is your goal--learn how to go out with friends without eating poorly. Talk and laugh and sip on water! The poster who suggested catching up with your friends after dinner had a good idea--it would let you test one venue at a time.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    they way i feel,,, I WISH I DID TURN THEM DOWN,, sigh,,, i am done with ALCOHOL,,,, well for today,,,,,, ha ha ha
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For me I am trying to change my lifestyle so that I am healthier rather than being on a diet. Part of life is going out with friends so I say find a way to make it work if it is only the fear of calories stopping you.

^^^ Agree!

This can be challenging. I know my buddies will all meet out at a bar or pub occasionally to watch sports. Most of them are married and have let themselves go, so they mindlessly over-indulge in super fatty bar food and heavy beers. They will also razz me if I don't indulge with them (misery/failure loves/seeks company mentality).

But I look at bar food and junk food this way: they are the equivalent of cigarettes to my health and fitness now. Plus I am super focused on how I want to look and feel and how I want to maintain my health level from now until I am gone - that desire supercedes everything else - and I am unapologetic if anyone is offended by it, or criticizes me for it or tells me to "loosen up". I got fit and healthy from focus, hard work and discipline, not from "loosening up". Loosening up was why I was 40 pounds heavier a year ago and had cholesterol near 200 and got out of breath simply walking up steps.

If I have some friends who smoke (and unfortunately I do) I don't have to also partake in smoking in order to socialize with them and have some laughs and enjoy the big game. Same goes for the crappy bar food mentality. When I go out I have a rule I follow: 2 lite beers and done. Once I drink 2 lite beers, I order seltzer water with lemon. When my friends Razz me, I just confidently say "Thanks man, I am good! Dig in and enjoy it - more for you! Yummy!" Most of them pick up on the fact that by responding this way with a big confident smirk on my face I am actually passively razzing them back and calling them fat-a$$es without doing it in an overbearing or judgmental way. I have a lot of fun with it too - while they are stuffing their faces I might go "dude, got a little sauce on your face there - might wanna hit that - here's a wet wipe for ya" or "wow, did you just get released from a prison camp?"

I hear what people are saying about not being restrictive, but the way I look at it is that I plan my meals properly and I allow myself to eat things that I love and enjoy as part of my daily meal planning - I don't punish myself, I love the food I eat now. But going to a bar and eating fried wings or "Poppers" as no place and serves no positive purpose in my lifestyle now in the same way that I would never smoke a cigarette at a bar. I don't smoke on a daily basis, why would I do that just because I am at a bar with friends - same exact thing to to me. I have a couple lite beers, cheer the game, flirt with women and razz my friends and I still have fun - probably even more fun because I know I look and feel my best and I am confident.

Plus what attractive woman wants to talk to a guy at a bar with a faceful of wing sauce who smells like garlic and blue cheese??? None that I have met so far... Yuck no thanks...
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    i don't think you should turn down invitations... yes you need to take care of yourself, but you can't isolate yourself, either!
    if you can go out and have a drink and a small dinner (salad?), that would be best because you get to see your friends and enjoy things in moderation.
    xx
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everybody else's responses but I think I'm probably just reiterating what they've already said. If you want to be with friends, then go ahead and meet up with them. However, exhibit self control. Either budget to have some food/drinks within your calorie allowance, do a little bit of extra exercise, do better the next day, or simply just go and enjoy their company without eating anything and drinking something low cal. Avoiding calories should never cut into your social life. If you truly want to go, GO. Just exercise caution :) Social activity is healthy!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to turn down an invitation to drinks and dinner because you have too little calories to spare? I feel very guilty even though they say they understand.

It's okay to turn down invitations for any reason. You're not obliged to accept every invitation you get. But if these are friends you go out regularly with, and now you're not going out with them because of calories, it might be an idea to think of alternative social get-togethers. Meeting up with friends doesn't have to involve food.

Personally, I turn down invitations for a variety of reasons, although never for the reason of calories. But I don't mind going over my calories. If I did mind and if this was going to cause me worry and concern, I would turn down the invitation.