Eyelash Extensions

Options
Any beauticians on MFP or anyone who has tried eyelash extensions........is it worth it? How long do they stay in and how do they come out? Do natural lashes fall out because of them? I have been given a voucher by a friend to have some applied at a beauty salon on Friday and not sure about it. Any feedback welcome :)

Replies

• alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I did it yesterday.

both my sisters have long lashes and i got stuck with short stubby ones. I am so thrilled. love it

had a groupon and did it. here they are. they look very natural

pic

photocev.jpg
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i want to try them too...I think they look great!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A lady at work has them - they look stunning, very natural. Gets them re-done about every 3 months I think it was??She says she has to remember not to rub her eyes too much tho. I would love to get some, I have the stubby variety as well!
  • susanfrancis40
    susanfrancis40 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    wow, they look good - thank you. Did they tell you how they come out?
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    How about getting your lashes permed? That usually lasts 2 months! I have naturally long lashes and I still choose to curl them and they also tint them so they stand out!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    might as well try :D i realllly want hair extensions; ever since i cut my hair ive felt completely not myself :( but theyre just so damn expensive!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    wow, they look good - thank you. Did they tell you how they come out?

she told me to come back for a refill in 3-4 weeks but i'll be on vacation so will do it in the US instead.

she removes them with some sort of adhesive remover i believe.it's definitely worth the money for me. I hate putting on mascara but with short lashes I need it. now I don't have to :smile:
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i got them done once a few years ago but mine were very " dramatic " because she added more of them and my lashes are already pretty full and long.. sadly i dont have any pictures of it..i think they lasted like 6 weeks or so but i constantly touch my face and i wore a lot of makeup and stuff so they would probably have lasted longer if not for that.

i think everyone should get them at least once in life.
  • miss_grad
    Options
    Most, if not all, my lashes fell out with eyelash extensions. Still trying to recover them with lash serum. They looked fantastic for the first week. Then they got gangly on me and eventually fell out. But my experience may be an isolated one.

My advice?
    - If you use eyeliner/eye make-up/foundation/make-up removers make sure it is not oil-based.
    - Avoid getting any water on them. Keep a towel handy to shield from water in shower or dab dry.
    - Use the little eyelash comber (your stylist should provide one) to comb them once a day so they don't get funky and poke at your eyes.
    - Don't rub your eyes.

There is more tips out there you can google. But these are just the general ones to make them last longer.

I just prefer getting my lash fix on eBay and ordering the cheap falsies in bulk. Just takes practice on putting them on and a decent adhesive glue. People generally know they are fake, yet I still get compliments.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Only problem is if you wear eye make up (eyeliner/eyeshadow etc) you can't really scrub it off with make up remover because it might scrub off the lashes so you're stuck with not wearing other make up for weeks. It depends if you wear other make up or just mascara.

I'd stick with the ones you can put on and off for an evening or day. If you're careful with those ones you can re use them so they're not too costly. I wear those when I'm going out or for special occasions.

In terms of good mascara that will give you great eyelashes for 'normal' days you could try 'They're Real' from Benefit. I use that mascara and it's really good. Its £18.50 but it'll last as long as any other mascaras and you do get what you pay for.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I worked in a spa for a couple of years as a receptionist, and our most popular service was the eyelash extensions.

I was the guinea pig a couple of times, and got them for free, as I have fairly large eyes, and don't wear makeup, so they look quite dramatic on me.

I hated them, but I dont' wear mascara or eyeliner so I didn't like the feeling of them.

That being said, clients who got them done, loved them.

1. They are adhered to your baby and 'teen' lashes, and fall out as your lash falls out naturally.
    2. The glue won't dissolve or anything due to mascara or eyeliner or anything else oil based, so you can use those products with 'em. At least the glue she used at the spa I worked at. It was crazy expensive and top of the line.
    3. They take about 90 minutes (at our spa) to have the service done, and you can't wash your face or sweat (no working out) for a few hours after
    4. You can feel them after a few days, because the end of the false lash grows out a bit and will kinda brush up against the end of your eye.
    5. They do make a difference. People wore them on their wedding or if they went away on vacation and they didn't want to worry about applying eyelineer/mascara.

Again, I didn't like 'em, but I got TONS of compliments on the way I looked because of them. If my boss hadn't put them on me to show them off to clients, I wouldn't have done it. But that's just me :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm getting them done for a second time on Saturday.

Last time round I just got them for a special occasion and it was about 5 years ago. I liked them at the time.

Naturally my eyelashes are short, straight, and have blonde tips. Unless I curl the **** out of them and apply 2-3 coats of mascara, they're barely visible. With curling them twice and applying 2-3 coats of mascara, they're falling out anyay.

I'm starting a new job in 9 days, and I'll be getting up at 5.30-6am. I wont have time to faff about with my eyelashes, and throughout the day they don't look as nice. It'll be nice to just wakeup, and only have to apply mascara to the bottom lashes, and whatever eyeliner or whatever I cba with. It'll definitely save me a lot of time!

Then next year (hopefully for my birthday in March - depends how much I can save up as I have debts to pay off first!) I want to get semi-permanent eyebrows done. Again, naturally mine are just awful. Lighter than my hair and sparse. I spend most of my time in the morning on my eyebrows and eyes. If I get both of these things done, I could be ready with my makeup within 5 minutes!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a friend at work gets the 'glamour' ones done and that's what finally made my mind up! Hers look great, and can last 4-6 weeks, but she gets them re-done every month. They reccommend having a week eyelash-free though.

I think I'll get the natural ones, and then I can always add more if I want.
  • susanfrancis40
    susanfrancis40 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I will go for it :)