addicted to bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I have found I was later able to begin eating my "addicting" foods again in limited moderation. For me, that means if I go out to eat I may order a diet soda for example. I am able to enjoy it occasionally while not feeling the cycle of cravings coming back. I do not buy any of the foods I mentioned anymore and keep them in my kitchen however, because none of them were very healthy for me anyways and I feel like if I did start to consume them again without as much moderation the addicted feeling could come back.

Anyways, that's just my anecdotal advice! It worked for me.

THIS ^^^^

I gave up soda and didn't have it for over 6 months because I was drinking 2-3 or more a day and I'd get in my car and drive to get one many times. Once I stopped (it was hard) and didn't have it for an extended period of time, I now find I can have ONE, stop, and don't crave it daily/hourly. Not sure why, maybe you build up a tolerance. But I do have a soda maybe once a month if even that and it's no longer a problem for me.
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky, I cant remember the last time I ate bread, my carb of choice is oats :)
  • punkrockprincess23
    Options
    bread is also my weakness. baguette,french bread,cheese bread,bagels etc.. i love bread and bread products :(
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Your post is funny. I to love bread. But not just sandwich bread. There are two places between home and work that make the most amazing bread! The one place has the best ciabatta loaf I've ever had, I try not to stop there to often.

I do have a suggestion though. Instead of eating your bread in the morning and then think about it all day. Eat it in the afternoon or with dinner. Maybe when you eat it in the morning and then you think to yourself "ugh now I can't have bread again all day" and that of course makes you want it. So maybe don't start your day off with bread. Have a piece with dinner instead :)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Serious bread fanatic here...just the process of making bread, the smells, the texture especially when it comes right out of the oven, add a bit of butter and oooo la la...Yes I pretty have given up bread, I got up to eating anywhere between 2 and 4 loaves a week. I fill myself with vegetables, meats, fruits and try to stay away from the bread addiction. Good luck
  • bjalexander6196
    Options
    Bread is delicious, but if you can find a way to substitute some high fiber tasty foods, they will prove to be satisfying. I like the La Tortilla wraps that are high in fiber. I like to spread them with hummus, mushrooms and some spring mix and it is delicious and satisfying and last me for several hours! Barb
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    This is me... I am completely addicted to bread but I've stopped having bread every single day since May. I still have it but I definitely have cut back a lot. Now, I try having it no more than once or twice a week. Some weeks I've gone without it and to be fair it hasn't been as difficult as I would have imagined. As long as I fill up on other foods, I don't crave it as much.

Ever since I can remember I have been replacing normal meals with bread. Up until this May I had been eating bread for breakfast, missing lunch and then again having toast for dinner. Even when I was 8/9 years old I would have toast for my meals. I wonder sometimes how I survived on it! Of course I also had lots of junk food like chocolate to mix things up a bit.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT have to cut out bread. You do not have to cut out ANYTHING. You just need to make sure it's in your alloted macros & move forward. I drink - eat pasta - bread - whatever I want. And I have lost 62 lbs in 6 months. So you know what enjoy your bread. And enjoy your fruit & veggies.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound stupid. Bread is sooo good, especially straight out of the oven. :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Try limiting to 100% whole wheat bread. Not "wheat bread," but 100% whole wheat bread. That helped me. It's more substantial and difficult to eat quickly. And the fiber will make you feel full.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi-I have the same problem, I can give up sweets but not bread. I allow myself bread at one meal and eat it very slowly and enjoy every bite. Then I try to stay full on boring stuff and drink lots of water through the day. It helps!

When I was on my deficit I had one slice of really good french bread almost every day. I ate it nice as slow and enjoyed it and it seems to go by so fast. I always wanted more, always, but I always told myself I could have one more piece the next day and I would look forward to it. I always ate it at the end of the meal. I often made a desert out if it with a very super light coating of real butter, a super light coating of raw honey, and cinnamon. That was my favorite treat. Almost every day.

I like to fill up with healthy veggies and protein as well, but never boring. I love food and every precious calorie better taste good enough to die for. I spice up my veggies and protein with yummy spices that I love. I love every bite I eat. I savor it.

Even in maintenance now I'm on a calorie budget and all the tricks and tools you learn on the weight loss portion of your journey come into play for the rest of your life, for your new healthy lifestyle. I still have to limit myself but not as much as when I was on a deficit. You always have to tell yourself you can have more tomorrow. You will always sometimes have to fight the urge to keep eating too much of the things that taste good. You can have everything you want, just not all at once.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to love toast. Couldn't have bread in my home without getting through 2-4 slices of toast with marmite or honey before bed. I stopped buying the regular store bread a long time ago, and now have a stock of 100% organic sprouted wheat bread and spelt bread. I find I am happy just having some a few times a week with some philadelphia light and it is so much more satisfying than most store bought breads. Having said that, nothing beats the smell of warm, freshly cooked high quality bakery bread, but I never have that. Sweet things is my weak spot for the most part, rather than bread now.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    1st dont have two pieces of bread for break fast. you can have one and some cereal or an egg whatever.
    2nd some bread is better for you than others. i dont eat low-cal air bread so i go with soursough (better glycemic index) or rye or wholegrain wheat. just because these are more caloric doesnt mean they are worse for you. whole grain is harder to digest and slower into the blood stream.
    3rd you should be able to talk to your parents, ask them to be supportive. do they like bread that you dont? have them get the one you dont like.

im no expert im very in love/addicted to bread but with MFP i find i can have it if i only limit butter and mayo (toast or sandwiches)

but mostly my struggle is not to eat it after lunch. i love late night toast....it so bad for me.

good luck i hope one of my suggestions helps
  • Positive_Thinker
    Positive_Thinker Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It doeasn't sound weird at all.....That said, we limit ourselves (or unleash ourselves) by the words we use and think, "I can't" means just that, and "I can" does as well.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    1st dont have two pieces of bread for break fast. you can have one and some cereal or an egg whatever.
    2nd some bread is better for you than others. i dont eat low-cal air bread so i go with soursough (better glycemic index) or rye or wholegrain wheat. just because these are more caloric doesnt mean they are worse for you. whole grain is harder to digest and slower into the blood stream.
    3rd you should be able to talk to your parents, ask them to be supportive. do they like bread that you dont? have them get the one you dont like.

im no expert im very in love/addicted to bread but with MFP i find i can have it if i only limit butter and mayo (toast or sandwiches)

but mostly my struggle is not to eat it after lunch. i love late night toast....it so bad for me.

good luck i hope one of my suggestions helps

1.I only eat 100% organic wholemeal with grains.

2. Why shouldn't I have it in the mornings?
    3. Unless you know my home life, stfu. I can't talk to them about anything.
  • stardust623
    Options
    That is sooo me. I love bread, biscuits, cookies, pastries, etc. I find that when I eat plain bread (like for a sandwich or something), if I put hot sauce on it, it boosts my metabolism by about 12%. You may not like this idea, but it does work.
  • aletagob
    Options
    Yes, research shows that one really *can* be addicted to bread! Someone else here mentioned the book, "Wheat Belly," and I recommend it also. While there are many foods we love and crave, apparently things made with wheat--both refined and whole grain--are particularly likely to have us coming back for more. Research also supports some of the suggestions in other replies: elimination rather than moderation. Yes, it's very difficult to completely quit bread, but the misery doesn't last very long. If you can cope through about three days of longing and misery, the fog will lift and you will feel back in control of yourself and in control of bread. After this heroic break with wheat, you might consider breads made of other grains and see how you feel after eating them. Now that "gluten-free" is all the rage, there is a proliferation of easily available alternatives, and you don't have to have some obvious illness such as Celiac Disease to benefit from them. You mention that you still live with parents, and I imagine your mother makes the food buying and preparation choices. Would she be open to the purchase of some other kind of bread for you to try? I also endorse one poster's handling of such situations: "I can have more tomorrow." This is excellent and truly workable advice if you can't eliminate bread successfully.