Best way to eat avocado?

Options

Replies

• lauraaltman1
    lauraaltman1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat it with your favorite Italian salad dressing or my favorite way is with a this simple dressing,a little vinegar with garlic powder and pepper (salt to taste.optional) mixed together, then add avocado,mix gently and it makes a creamy dressing all over the avocado. Make sure it is ripe. It is ripe when it has some give when you press it with your thumb. Enjoy!!
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All of the above but also try it with a squirt of lemon juice and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. My parents used to serve it that way to my brothers and me for a quick breakfast.

The other thing to remember is that, like an apple, avocado oxidizes rather quickly so the lemon will prevent that. This is very important especially if you are going to only eat a half and put the other half in the refrigerator. Be sure it's ripe (a little soft) before you eat it.

My biggest suggestion would be to go to a farmer's market or greengrocer and talk to someone not only about recipes and ways to eat it but also on how to tell a perfectly ripe avocado since these days it is too easy to get one that is overripe.

Oh - and the fat/oil in an avocado are among the healthiest in a food that you can eat. It's way up there!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    In a smoothie with banana, spinach, greek yogurt and orange juice.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    sliced or smashed into the bread of a sandwich, quacamole made from my bullet, spread on toasted toast with an egg on top, sliced on top of an omlette, cubed into a salad... There's many ways to eat an avacado and it can replace so many different things and make your meal that tiny bit healthier.

Tip: When you remove the seed, i find the best way is to gently tap a sharp knife into it and twist. It should come off on the knife. Just be careful not to hurt yourself removing it from the knife.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,268 Member
    Options
    Sliced on a turkey sandwich. I make great guacomole and toast pita's to use as chips instead of high fat totilla chips. Love avocado
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1/2 mashed or sliced onto sourdough toast with a bit of mayo and maybe a few small slices of raw onion- then a few drops of hot sauce..........
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I noticed this topic on my way to another topic and I'm so glad I did. I bought my first avacado this week as well and was just asking my sister for ideas, she only had one and that was guacamole! Now I have lots! Can't wait to try some.

Cathy
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    make sure they're ripe before you cut them. they should be dark but not mushy, mostly firm. It's hard to find ripe ones in the store, so put it in a bag with a banana until ripe.

cut from top to bottom all the way around the pit. twit gently until it comes apart, you may need to cut it a bit more.

it can be difficult to pop the pit out if it's not ripe enough.

You should do most of the slicing and dicing while it's still in the shell and then gently scoop out with a spoon. If you're only going to use half of it, leave the pit in and wrap it tightly with saran wrap. if you're going to make a dip, add a dash or two of lemon/lime juice to keep it from turning brown.

I like them sliced on sandwiches, i guac dip and just plain. They're really good but you may not like them until you find out how you like to eat them, everyone is different! **Oh, and burritos. yum.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I noticed this topic on my way to another topic and I'm so glad I did. I bought my first avacado this week as well and was just asking my sister for ideas, she only had one and that was guacamole! Now I have lots! Can't wait to try some.

Cathy

**Most store bought guac has very little avocado in it. Hass is more superior than their florida avocado counterpart.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong way to eat it! It's seriously one of my all time favorite foods!
  • mel7261
    Options
    with a spoon ;)
  • Hazel0096
    Hazel0096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    diced and mixed into a salad with salsa makes a spicy, creamy dressing. I love it!

Sliced on a BLT instead of mayo.

in a wrap with chicken, sprouts, veggies

on pizza
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Slice it up put it in a sald Yumm.. They are so good by the way they do have fat in them but its the good fat n very good for u too..
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    GUACAMOLE!! Some red onions, tomatoes and chilis. Eat it with low fat nacho crisp type thingies. Mmmmmm
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pasta sauce! Easy peasy, and you can eyeball everything and customize to your liking.

Just combine avocado, garlic, fresh lemon or lime juice, salt, and pepper (I also add cayenne) in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Mix the sauce with the hot pasta and you are good to go. :)

I'm not huuuge fan of cilantro, but that and lime juice would probably be tasty.
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with avocado, tomatoes, red peppers, onions (or spring onions) and cucumbers. All diced and with a sqeeze of lemon + 1 tbsp of olive oil and a bit of garlic salt on.
    For a meal I sometimes throw in a few black olives and low fat feta. Quite high in fats, but the healthy types. :smile:
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Slice it in half ... remove the pit and take a knife along the inside skin to get all the good stuff out ! Then cube it and roll it in some rice and wrap tightly with seaweed !

~ Avocado Roll ~

I ♥ My Sushi !!!

PS ... Add a little ginger and a dab of eel sauce ... YUMMY !!!!

:tongue:
  • determined_01
    Options
    bump
  • desilu69
    Options
    shred romaine lettuce with tomatoes and whatever else you want to add for garnish..( I love cilantro so I always add that for a kick) add a pouch of tuna or albacore.. or chicken breast.. mash up a half of avacodo on the side and get a bite of it each time with your salad mix and you wont need dressing.
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, remove the pit, lightly salt it, eat with spoon or fork.

Seriously legit just like that.

I used to be scared of them but now I absolutely love them.

Yes. This.