too much fruit?

Options
"Regardless of which approach is taken, I have not met a single strict fruitarian of more than two years who didn't have significant health challenges. The most common challenges are dental decay, osteoporosis, wasting of muscle tissue, inability to maintain a healthy weight, chronic fatigue, skin problems, thinning hair, weakening nails, and excessive irritability. "

HUH? How much fruit is too much?

Replies

• ACarp24
    Options
    I would be interested to see what this is all about because I eat 2 cups of fruit every morning in my smoothie then usually more at lunchtime. Is that too much?
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    well i have never even met a "fruitarian", i'm vegan and i know alot of raw foodist and even they eat more than just fruit. so i find it interesting, are there really that many people that live off of only fruit? i usually have around 3 or more servings of fruit a day, but i eat veggies and grains as well.
  • gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    Same, Well even more. I switch it up every morning but its always a bowl of at least 3 fruits. Then lunch is usually a salad which usually has more fruit in it with vegetables.

After reading that Im a bit confused. Here I was thinking I was doing the healthy thing?
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    where did you read what you quoted on the fruitarian issue?
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    where did you read what you quoted on the fruitarian issue?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the article didn't seem to mention what would be considered "too much fruit" I wouldn't even bother trying to worry about what it means. I thought the quote you posted must have been out of context and figured it would make more sense reading the whole article. It didn't. Seems like he could have just written an article about the healthiest fruits and preached moderation instead of warning against some unknown amount of "too much fruit."

ETA: And he was trained in acupuncture and chiropractics (is that even a word? prob not, lol) so he isn't formally trained as a nutritionist. I'm sure he has training and has studied but still. I find that article to be really weird.
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    hey i just read his article, and first of all like i said i'm curious as to the amount of strict fruitarians there really are, and this is just me being petty, but he comment on some fruitarians eating romaine lettuce, thats a vegetable which would mean they are indeed not fruitarians. also the b12 and vitamin d problem can be solved w vegan vitamins and supplements, and he also mentioned the harm being from the way the fruits are "farmed" and grown, so perhapse if organics are bought it would really help.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    A fruitarian is one who only eats fruit. You would be missing out on vitamins and minerals, and you would be getting tons of carbs (sugar) with little protein and no fat. You have to have all three of those things to live, so I can't see how a fruitarian would even live without tons of supplements. Don't think of "eating too much fruit" and being a fruitarian in the same way. Eating a few servings a day of fruit is ok, eating only fruit is not ok :)
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    i know what a fruitarian is thanks though lol. i didn't realize that there were that many of them, and they make supplements for all of the things they would be missing, but yes they would be taking in a large amount of carbs and sugar which is why the tooth decay being a issue didn't surprise me at all.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I was just answering the original post, I didn't even read any other replies really. Didn't mean to step on any toes :)
  • jessiebeatrice
    Options
    Just remember: everything in moderation.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The main problem wouldn't be too much fruit (although all that sugar being bad for teeth makes sense). The main problem would be not enough of other stuff. Most of those symptoms are caused by defficiences, not excesses (except excess sugar).

I doubt you'll run into problems from eating too much fruit unless you really spend most of your day doing that. Still, everything in moderation. 5 serves of fruit per day is effort enough for most people, but shouldn't be overdoing it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, nothing but fruit.

I eat a good 5 servings a day, and I'm doing super, but I can't imagine living on nothing but.

I can imagine the questioning:::

"Casper, since you went on the all fruit diet, are you wearing boxers or briefs?"

"Depends,,," <<Ewwwwwwww!!!! :laugh: >>