Best way to eat avocado?

Options

Replies

• xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Sliced on a BLT instead of mayo.

^^^ This. I didn't know a BLT could be more awesome until I did this. Holy crap, is it good.

But yeah, any way you can fit the avocado into your mouth is a good way to eat them. Alton Brown even substituted them for eggs and made ice cream with them.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    Options
    I love to use it in place of mayo on a BLT!

YUM! I am trying that ! :smile:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Excellent snack is just cutting it in half, remove the core and add cottage cheese in the "hole". Maybe some spices too, but it's good just like that.
    ~ Salads!
    ~ On a sandwich.
    ~ Omelettes
    ~ Pies (avocado, creme fraiche/yogurt, spices mixed to a "sauce"+ whatever filling you're in the mood for)
    ~ Tacos
    ~ With shrimp

Mmm I love avocado, now I want one! :P
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Pasta sauce! Easy peasy, and you can eyeball everything and customize to your liking.

Just combine avocado, garlic, fresh lemon or lime juice, salt, and pepper (I also add cayenne) in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Mix the sauce with the hot pasta and you are good to go. :)

I'm not huuuge fan of cilantro, but that and lime juice would probably be tasty.
    I am so totally going to have to try this!
  • sharinax3
    sharinax3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Dominican and the way i was raised was we would toast bread and slice up the avocado put a bit of oil salt and a pinch of vinegar which is optional and just eat it on the toast it would be so delicious or we would eat it with rice ad beans such a nice refreshing taste
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    healthy splash of lime and sprinkle on a little salt and a lot of pepper.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, remove seed. Scoop out after "slicing" it in the skin? Put on plate with salt and pepper! EAT, yum!

ALso put slices on your favorite sandwich !
  • MetamorphosisMe
    MetamorphosisMe Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like them chopped up in a salad, or a slice in an english muffin with a slice of tomato and a fried egg for breakfast. Make guacamole. Add a slice to a veggie burger. Eat plain. Lots of possibilities!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    LOve avocado!!! Use it in many ways already mentioned in previous posts but I came across a very unusual avocado recipe a while ago - it was for 'vegan chocolate pudding' made with avocado and cocoa powder and a bit of honey mixed in a blender. Don't have the exact reipe on hand right now but it was very tasty and now I have to go look up the recipe and make some.....:laugh:
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yum, this sounds awesome.

Duh, I was supposed to be quoting the smoothie post.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    GUACAMOLE.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    LOve avocado!!! Use it in many ways already mentioned in previous posts but I came across a very unusual avocado recipe a while ago - it was for 'vegan chocolate pudding' made with avocado and cocoa powder and a bit of honey mixed in a blender. Don't have the exact reipe on hand right now but it was very tasty and now I have to go look up the recipe and make some.....:laugh:

It can't be vegan if it has honey in it...did you mean "vegetarian"?
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love avocado and can eat it most of these ways (except plain, strangely enough). Lately though, my favorite is to make it into a salad dressing: blend it up with some lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, buttermilk, salt and pepper. We eat a big garden salad topped with corn and shredded chicken with this dressing for a quick and tasty dinner.
  • 12skipafew99100
    Options
    I've never eaten an avocado in my life and I recently bought one. So I was wondering what would be the best and yummiest ways to try it out?

I try not to have left overs as the air will turn it black. If you must save it, wrap it in plastic with most of the air removed.
    Also the avocado should just start to give when you squeese it gently. Thats when you know its ready to use. If its not ripe enough it will be hard. Too ripe and it will have black spot in it~yuck. Just set it on the counter until you guess it time.

Let us know how it went.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    In a salad, with ripe tomatoes and (fat trimmed) crisy bacon - these days added to with lean chicken breast and something like lentils, brown rice as a base and maybe green leaves such as spinach. Dress with lemon juice (stops the avocado discolouring), seasoning and a little olive oil. Yum! You can get protein, fat, and healthy carbs in a good balance
  • 12skipafew99100
    Options
    I love avocado and can eat it most of these ways (except plain, strangely enough). Lately though, my favorite is to make it into a salad dressing: blend it up with some lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, buttermilk, salt and pepper. We eat a big garden salad topped with corn and shredded chicken with this dressing for a quick and tasty dinner.

I HAVE to do this^
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    thnks for catching that......Having a senior moment here...... :embarassed:
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    So many ways to eat avocado :) As a snack you could slice it in half and sprinkle a little salt and pepper and just eat it with a spoon. I love to do this! Also you can slice it and put with salad or a sandwich. And I had some last night sliced and put into veggie chili! YUM! I've also used avocado as the fat substitute to make brownies. I don't remember how I made them but I remember they were delicious! And of course there's always guacamole.
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    On toast with salt and pepper. Yummy!