Best way to eat avocado?

Options

Replies

• Woolooloo
    Options
    Just make sure you wait until it is ripe. The green skin should start to turn dark and it should feel soft yet firm - too soft and it is probably too ripe and will have black spots inside. But don't let your first avocado experience be with a hard unripe one because it will probably not leave a good impression.
  • atticus84
    atticus84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    avocado? where? MINE!!!
  • javagsd
    Options
    Cut in half, with a little sea salt and balsamic vinegar in the center.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love Avocado also. Many years ago I went to France and the host family I stayed with would take Avocado, cut it in half, take the seed out and put an olive oil mix in the hole and eat it that way. I am not sure what she mixed with the olive oil but it was delicious. I was amazed that the obesity level in France was so much less than here in the U.S. And, they eat bread, cheese, and so many other things we cut out of our diets here. They did NOT snack at all. In fact they would joke and tell me "you Americans...all we ever see you do is eat, eat, eat". They sat down to at least two full meals a day; lunch and dinner and they took their time eating all around the table and both meals had wine with them. I am not a wine person but my host dad would say "you have to taste ze wine. We have ze best wine in ze world"...lol. I loved their accents. I did observe the people of France when I went there. In Paris, they walked everywhere. Our tour guide did not even own a car and took the Metro everywhere. They don't snack like we do. I had gone to eat at a nice restaurant with my host mom and I asked for a "to go" box for the rest of my food. They laughed and said that they don't have "to go" boxes there and that's why we get hungry later, because we don't eat all of our food, lol. It was quite the wonderful experience.
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like them a lot on sandwiches and as gucamole. I hardly ever have them because they are SO expensive. They are often over a dollar each where I live.
  • doodles80
    Options
    Okay....so not really appropriate for a diet site but I have (had) it on a toasted ciabatta roll (or other artisan bread) with brie, bacon and a smattering of caramelized onion chutney.

Heaven. Bad heaven, but heaven.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i throw it in my smoothies in place of greek yogurt. you cant really taste it and it makes it nice and thick :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Im surprised hardly anyone has tried it as a fruit...as in ...sweet.

i love it in a smoothie, ...the fat is healthy and gives the smoothie a creamy texture...just delicious!! fruit smoothies are awesome with it.

Also, blended with pumpkin, with cinnamon and sugar/substitute and some milk or half and half...delicious!!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    Love this having it next week

•2 very ripe avocados
    •3 tomatoes, diced
    •1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
    •2 tbsp yellow onion, diced
    •3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    •1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    •kernels from one ear raw corn
    •2 tsp fresh lime juice
    •6-8 large lettuce leaves

I google a lot to find new things to try... it a Raw Burrito
  • rsboyd
    Options
    I sell produce for a living and I also have an avocado tree in my yard and you can't go wrong with eating an avocaodo mashed up on a sandwich with turkey, tomato lettuce sprouts or any other thing you want to add in. We have chopped pieces of avo in our salad nightly and of cousre you can alway make some guacamole by adding onion, tomato, pepper, garlic and a bit of either a fresh diced chile or some hot sauce for flavor.

the fruit has to be ripe to eat and peel. gently push on the skinny end of the fruit and if it has some give to it it should be ready, cut it in half, then twist the halves apart. cut the half in half again. grab the skin at the top or skinny end and carefully pull the skin away from the meat. if it's a ripe hass variety it should come away without much effort. any other kind,and there are many, it could take a little extra careful effort to peel the skin and not destroy the meat.

AND there are times when if the fruit is good and ripe and the meat is a little darker cause it's got good oil then I just eat pieces without anything else.
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    cut in half and lightly sprinkle with sea salt and eat it wipe a spoon.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Love this having it next week

•2 very ripe avocados
    •3 tomatoes, diced
    •1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
    •2 tbsp yellow onion, diced
    •3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    •1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    •kernels from one ear raw corn
    •2 tsp fresh lime juice
    •6-8 large lettuce leaves

I google a lot to find new things to try... it a Raw Burrito
    I did something very similar to this, but instead of corn, I used left over poached halibut. I put my filling on corn tortillas with lettuce, but I bet the lettuce wraps would be good too. I've also done this with crab or shrimp. Excellent stuff.
  • LexRaven
    LexRaven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love to bake one (med.size) sweet potato and once it is fully baked and cool, I mash it with half an avocado. It taste like bliss!
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love them in my smoothies. I put protein powder, water, fruit, and maybe a quarter of an avocado. You can't taste it; just makes your smoothie thick and creamy and adds healthy fats to your drink. :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A ripe avocado is delicious on its own: the date is buttery and nutty. I would try cutting one in half and sprinkling some freshly ground pepper on it and eating with a fork.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    So many awesome ways for me to try it out, thanks guys! Basically the way I tried it out was that I took a teaspoon of avocado, sprinkled some salt, mashed it up a bit and put it on a toast. It was weird because it doesn't have a strong and dominant flavor to it. It was almost like butter. So I may just try it ou in some other ways. You guys just gave some really awesome and healthy ideas to do quite a few lunches that I can take to work and school!
    :happy:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Mix with a bit of chilli and lime/lemon another time - it's fatty, although in a good way, and takes on other flavours well, but maybe a little bland on its own. To reduce the calorie count. it's good blended with reduced fat cream cheese or creme fraiche to make a spead or dip.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    really good in salads, on sandwiches, and to make a spread out of
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Probably all been mentioned, but I love them on burgers, sandwiches, diced up with eggs & salsa, smashed into guacamole, diced into salads - or just eat 'em with a fork!