Advice? How to stop fluctuating

Options
I'm at the beginning of my weight loss, and I always find myself being super motivated for the first few days, falling off track, then giving up. I tend to lose 4 or 5 lbs then gain it all back when I fall off track again. Does anyone have advice on how to stay motivated and keep going? Thanks!

Replies

• OhKelsey1
    Options
    To stay motivated and keep going, you have to... stay motivated and keep going. There's really just no trick to it.

I would say finding healthy foods you actually like to eat is helpful, so google recipes and find ways to make recipes you already have better for you. Also, let yourself have things that you want, just in limited portions. If you're being super strict and denying yourself everything, you're more likely to get frustrated and give up.

That said, you DO have to give up things. I've seen a lot of people who want to lose weight not succeed just because they want to eat the same unhealthy foods and huge portions they've always been eating. You're going to have to accept that that can't be a part of your lifestyle anymore.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    To stay motivated and keep going, you have to... stay motivated and keep going. There's really just no trick to it.

I would say finding healthy foods you actually like to eat is helpful, so google recipes and find ways to make recipes you already have better for you. Also, let yourself have things that you want, just in limited portions. If you're being super strict and denying yourself everything, you're more likely to get frustrated and give up.

That said, you DO have to give up things. I've seen a lot of people who want to lose weight not succeed just because they want to eat the same unhealthy foods and huge portions they've always been eating. You're going to have to accept that that can't be a part of your lifestyle anymore.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this is spot on advice....

you do have to make changes to your diet...

and you can never give up!!!!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

^ this, but also try to understand that your weight will fluctuate a bit, always. Whether you're losing, gaining or maintaining, your weight won't stay exactly the same. When you start dieting, part of that initial loss is water weight. When you "give up" and eat normally again, you gain that water weight back. You're not losing 5 lbs of fat in a few days and then gaining it back just as quickly.

Try to look at the bigger picture. Weight loss isn't linear and it doesn't happen nearly as fast as most people would like. Accept that it's going to take time and try to find motivation other than the number on the scale. Work out why you want to lose the weight, and keep reminding yourself of those reasons.

If you want to lose 50 lbs, and keep it off, it's going to take time, and you're going to have to make some permanent changes. That doesn't mean you have to give up your favourite foods. Some people do, but I haven't given up any food or food group, I eat all my favourites regularly, and I'm losing the weight. You've just got to try to create a diet and lifestyle that doesn't feel like torture, so you don't feel the need to give up.

There's a great quote floating around that has really helped me:

Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight loss is hard.
    Being overweight is hard.
    Choose your hard.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Make less dramatic changes and you'll have no reason to give up. Once you have one new habit, get another good habit.
  • lkeiser22
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has helped a lot and I'm definitely going to keep everything in mind!
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You need a reason to lose weight and keep it off. If you aren't doing it, it's because you don't really want to, or you like eating/not exercising more than you'd like to lose weight.

It took me like 15 years before I found what I needed - apparently it was a mix of marriage and cancer that provided the kick to the butt I needed to start taking it seriously.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!