Calories/day

Options
I am supposed to eat up to 1700 calories a day(after my exercise of burning 500 calories). Original caloric intake 1200. I have completly cut out bad carbs. Now i am finding it difficult to eat that many calories a day but feel like im contantly eating. I do not want my body to go into starvation mode.. I need all the metabolism i can get lol. Im on a journey to lose 60 more lbs by march-may. Is there anyone else out there having this same problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I basically scheduled out 6 small meals a day. That made it pretty impossible for me to go under my minimum calories.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat 3400 calories a day and have No Problem hitting that... You need to incorporate more calorie dense foods, nuts, milk, peanut butter, etc. 1 cup of Pistachios and a glass of milk is close to 500 calories and is not very much.... Best of Luck....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you can't hit your calorie goal, stop cutting out carbs. There's no reason for it.

Also, there's no such thing as a "bad" carb, or a "good" carb. They're just carbs, and you eat them to fill up the empty space left over from eating protein and fat, in order to reach your calorie goal.

Eat enough protein and fat, fill the rest of the calories with carbs. Protein and fat should stay the same every day, carbs vary depending on total caloric need.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I eat 3400 calories a day and have No Problem hitting that... You need to incorporate more calorie dense foods, nuts, milk, peanut butter, etc. 1 cup of Pistachios and a glass of milk is close to 500 calories and is not very much.... Best of Luck....

I completely agree with this. At first, I was having a really really tough time hitting my calorie goal because I also cut out 80% of carbs from my diet and was aiming toward a low-carb diet. I still am. But you can't be afraid of foods with healthy fat like olive oil, peanut butter, any form of nuts, etc. Those foods have healthy fats and are high in calories, but that doesn't make them unhealthy. I still don't hit my caloric goals every day but you have to do what works for you. If you're not starving every day and you are eating healthy, then maybe that's what works for you! I'm only 5'0 so there's no reason I should need the same amount of calories as someone who is 6'0, even if we are the same weight. You should do what feels right for you. If you aren't hungry all the time and you are eating healthy, then I'd say you're just fine.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you can't hit your calorie goal, stop cutting out carbs. There's no reason for it.

Also, there's no such thing as a "bad" carb, or a "good" carb. They're just carbs, and you eat them to fill up the empty space left over from eating protein and fat, in order to reach your calorie goal.

Eat enough protein and fat, fill the rest of the calories with carbs. Protein and fat should stay the same every day, carbs vary depending on total caloric need.

^ this. As usual, solid advice.
  • grace343
    Options
    I have heard it suggested to fill the stomach as such at the meal: 1/3 filled with foods 1/3 filled with water and 1/3 filled with air
  • Mandymou77
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I wont be too afraid to eat that pasta every now and then. I was just really addicted to that stuff and realized it was hindering any progress. you are right, i need to feed my body what it needs more then deplete it of needs. I will still watch what I eat but still eat what my body needs.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    WIth 50+ lbs of fat to lose, you literally CANNOT enter starvation mode. That being said, fuel your body properly, and you will reap the benefits.

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

This is a great read. Long, but full of useful information! Please check it out!