I feel like I suck...

Options
... because I was determined to finish the 30 Day Shred IN 30 days, but I'm having to take a rest day today (Day 7 of Level 1 for me) because my calves hurt sooooooooooo bad. Like, I can barely make it through four or five jumping jacks because of it.

I just feel like a huge failure or something. I dunno. I know realistically I'm not- I can still get exercise in other ways on my rest days, such as exercise bike or playing DDR on workout mode. But I just really wanted to finish 30DS in 30 days. Plus I kind of ate a lot at lunch today at a Mexican restaurant so just UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Replies

• awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think just completing it at all will be something to be proud of. Don't give up!
  • silentnemesis
    silentnemesis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The best way to help your DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, wiki it if you'd like) is to work out your calves!

theres lactic acid built up in your muscles that is trapped, hence the soreness
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad taking a break. your body needs it. I'm on day 8 of level 3(ALMOST DONE!!) and I took a break during levels 1 & 2 to do something different and to give my body a break from it. think I'm only doing 10 days straight with level 3 because I want to be done.lol. Hubby was telling me that for sore muscles his mens health rec taking a cool bath for 10-12 mins. somehow soaking in cold water before taking a warm shower is suppose to help....told him I'd keep that in mind for when we start insanity next.lol. Good luck on the 30ds.......you will feel fantastic when you're done!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    when I did the 30 day shred, the first week I was extremely sore everyday. Doing the dvd actually helped relieve my pain. Maybe...give it a try and just do what you can as well as you can.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I could not do the 30 DS I ended up injuring my knees so take your time with it and work up to it. I still do it but I have an elliptical at home I do the elliptical as fast as I can while they are doing the cardio. I know it is not the same but then I don't spend six weeks going to physio. It works for me.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    listen to your body...its telling you it needs a break. No point in injuring yourself ...if you get injured that will force you to take more time off and that certainly won't help you. Take a short break, let things heal. You will be better off in the long run.
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, Jillian never intended for it to be done in 30 straight days. In fact, she said in an interview that she was surprised people took it to mean do it in 30 days without a day off! You need to take rest days to let your muscles recover. Keep going....you are not a failure! Good luck!
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I had the same determination! I had to rest for a few days after I did 7 in a row because I couldn't walk. Someone told me that later on in the videos she says to take breaks if need to. So I usually do it every other day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You're really only supposed to do it 4-5 days a week, so you shouldn't feel bad at all. It's one thing to be motivated, it's another to overstress your body and end up doing more damage than good. Enjoy your rest day!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you suck, feel like what you want to feel - like someone who is doing something that 80% of the population eat cream cakes while thinking about doing. If you need a rest take a rest - really don't be tied to what you think (because that has most probably come from outside of yourself anyway). for me all of this is a marathon and not a sprint. If it becomes a chore then its not what its about - don't get me wrong its great to push ourselves but don't ever beat yourself up for exercising 6 consecutive days :-) If it was me I would have a rest today and start again tomorrow - when you are training your body you gotta listen to what it says :-) ...- and be proud of yourself for getting off your *kitten* and making yourself a fitter better person. Well done on everything you are doing, really you should be chuffed with yourself because you really (and I mean REALLY) are a star-)
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The best way to help your DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, wiki it if you'd like) is to work out your calves!

theres lactic acid built up in your muscles that is trapped, hence the soreness
    [/quote

YUP! Walk it off!
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be ashamed of, lots of other factors can affect your progress. If you're tight in the calves from wearing heels it will make the 30ds feel a million times worse. You could also try taking magnesium supplements to help with sore muscles.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the "Shred," but I do know that you need rest days.
    So you're not done in 30 days. Did it only take 30 days to get to where you were before doing the Shred?
    I'd say, you've worked hard; give yourself a break.:tongue:
    Good luck.
  • Stuz359
    Options
    Rest days are good, hell, rest weeks are good sometimes.

Trying to be perfect all the time is what causes people to fail.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, you already said you know you're NOT a failure, so I'm not quite sure why you started this thread....attention? sympathy? just take a few days off until you can work out again, and in the meantime stop complaining :)
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, first and foremost, listen to your body!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Rest days are good, hell, rest weeks are good sometimes.

Trying to be perfect all the time is what causes people to fail.

YES!
  • kimberlyaspen
    Options
    It's okay, you're doing great! Rest days are good for your body; realistically, your body needs a day or two of rest. It can't just keep working and working; you'll wear out and possibly get sick. It's totally okay; just keep it up! Just finishing is a wonderful accomplishment!
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need to rest. Make sure you are getting your stretches in while the muscle is warm to prevent it, and take good baths on days you know you are feeling a little more sore. Give yourself time to recover if you need to because if you push yourself too far you may injure yourself. And as far as what you ate, you can't change it, so log it, be honest with yourself, examine how you could have done things differently, and then move on giving yourself a clean slate for tomorrow. Don't beat yourself, b/c that is how discouragement sets in and causes you to quit, rather embrace it, and push forward.
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did all the levels...over a period of 6 weeks! I really did need a break and it was better for me to space it out. I didn't burn out that way, and the day's rest did phenominal things for the next workout! Good luck and don;t beat yourself up. It's quite the workout!