Afraid of Success?

I have been trying to lose weight for.....well, let's say longer than I was ever thin! The thing is, I can do it, then I seem to "fall off the wagon". Am I afraid of success? Am I afraid of the negative comments or jealous comments from people around me? I have just realized (in the last month) I have slowly started surrounding myself with heavy people...either the same size, or larger. Is it because I am 'safe' there? Nothing to prove, nothing to lose?
How can I change?
I am going to get this extra weight off me....I know I am, but how?
I have been with MFP for a while....honestly keeping a journal for about 1 month. Not a lot of change, yet,......
Don't worry though, I am not giving up......
Not this time!!!!

Replies

• I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    bumping just to read later
  • Bump! I would love to hear what others have to say on this. I have been marginally close to my healthy BMI for months! Even once getting under, but I keep sabotaging; directly and inadvertently. I just need a kick in the butt to finally break it.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    I'll be honest with you. As you lose weight you lose the people around you who want to hinder your progress. You will find that on your weight loss journey your mindset will change and so will your outlook on life. People will tell you "we're too old to lose weight". I've heard this (I'm in my 40's) and believed it for a while but then I saw other people who had got fit in their 50's then came to my own conclusion about what I could to do to get fit and healthy. I now do martial art for 2.5 hours a week and run twice a week. I have never felt better. I have also made friends with people who are more health conscious too.

Just remember that your success is your success and you are in control of it. :wink:
  • Thank you so much! I needed to hear this. I am going to continue to strive for success. I know it will take a long time to lose my weight; I would like to lose 50#. I also know it took a while to get the weight on. I just have to remember DAILY that it is only One Day at a Time....Sometimes, that is a lot to remember......
    I am on day #9....still doing well....now to do better.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    I know how you feel! I used to be around people that didn't want me to succeed, and would discourage my weight loss and any other success I tried to go for. I really like MFP because there are so many people all succeeding together and who want to encourage you to do more! If I don't log in for a few days, I have friends that harass me and bring me back. Feel free to add me and we can help each other keep on truckin'!