Wrist size does it matter?? Go measure :)

Options
13»

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    5.75 to be exact. I'm 5'5. I would say I don't put a whole lot of stock in this system. I've always felt like I have a large frame despite the wrist measurement. I have broad shoulders for a woman. I think my wrists are just out of proportion to the rest of me.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here I thought the girth of your wrist determined how lonely you were. :smokin:
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know that because I have a large frame I will never be able to get down to under 125-130 without looking like I just broke out of the concentration camp.

On the plus side, you don't actually need to weigh that little to look awesome! :) So, less weight to lose :D

And given how the number of calories that you should eat per day is proportional to the weight, then you also get an extra yummy treat each day :)

On the minus side....with my 7.3 inch wrist and wide feet...finding bracelets, watches (except men's models :D) or shoes that aren't uncomfortable becomes a challenge.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Here I thought the girth of your wrist determined how lonely you were. :smokin:

:laugh:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think wrtst size has anything to do with fat. I have seen it used as one factor in predicting genetic muscular weight potential.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my wrist is 7 3/4 inches in circumference. I was told by a physician that measured my wrist that I had a large frame. Good thing since its holding a lot of weight up at the moment.
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was going to mock this thread, but I think that's already been done enough. Haha.

So instead, I'm going to give you a handy, dandy alternative.

How about you go to a physician who has a nifty little tool called a sliding caliper to measure your elbow breadth, which doesn't have the level of inaccuracy as you are probably getting from fat around your wrist or the ol' "let me take my thumb and forefinger and then line it up with a measuring tape, 'cause I can keep them perfectly still" maneuver which had my 7-year-old cousin measuring himself at roughly six feet tall? Or, you know, most personal trainers have them on their person and will do your BMI calculation relatively accurately for free as a part of a consult.

Or you can go back to trying to thumb and forefinger yourself. Up to you!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    my wife told me size doesn't matter??
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Now you're going to make me get out if bed to get a tape measure. Bad, girl:)

I'm 5'3" and right at 6 inches.

Oh, and since I had to get out of bed I went ahead and took a Benadryl which will hopefully help with my stuffy nose and let me get to sleep. So, thank you. And thank you, too,for the information.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was going to mock this thread, but I think that's already been done enough. Haha.

So instead, I'm going to give you a handy, dandy alternative.

How about you go to a physician who has a nifty little tool called a sliding caliper to measure your elbow breadth, which doesn't have the level of inaccuracy as you are probably getting from fat around your wrist or the ol' "let me take my thumb and forefinger and then line it up with a measuring tape, 'cause I can keep them perfectly still" maneuver which had my 7-year-old cousin measuring himself at roughly six feet tall? Or, you know, most personal trainers have them on their person and will do your BMI calculation relatively accurately for free as a part of a consult.

Or you can go back to trying to thumb and forefinger yourself. Up to you!

I really highly doubt that anyone is basing any kind of major important decision on their wrist measurement. It was just a fun little thing everyone was doing. I certainly don't need to measure my wrist to know that I have a small frame (and that I always have), or that my wrists are very small (anyone can see that). And measuring a wrist is very straight forward (I see no margin of error in the actual measurement with a body measuring tape, what it means is surely more subjective). But, sometimes on mfp people think my weight is low (even though I am within a healthy BMI range for being petite and small framed), so if a wrist measurement helps people to understand that there are differences in frame size (meaning we should not compare ourselves to others) then that's fine by me. And also, I think it's always good to have fun and not take things too seriously.