I've got a cold...now what?

Options
I've finally come down with my first cold of the winter season and I'm wondering what to do diet wise. I don't want to use my cold as an excuse to eat anything I want, but I'm not sure how to be sick and still eat well--- any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This is my second cold in a month and I'm freaking sick of it! (pardon the pun :P)

I've been overeating like crazy and it's been stunting my weight loss.

Sadly I have no advice but I can sympathise. :(
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    as far as affecting diet is concerned, if you are eating a healthy amount, ignore the cold.
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I still stick with my healthy foods. Soups with a broth base are usually my go-to meal and I drink a lot of hot tea. Both help me feel a little bit better and I feel full after eating/drinking. Whatever I choose to eat on those days are still logged so I can hold myself accountable.

Feel better soon!
  • LizziDouglas
    Options
    I too have my 1st cold in 2 years, I am soothing it by squeezing half a lemon and warm water, 4 times a day, it does seem to be helping. Hope you feel better soon
  • Deka61
    Options
    Chicken Soup, Campbells or similar Twice a day, and Garlic tablets 3 x a day. Cold gone in 3 days.
  • lilylover2012
    lilylover2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand why it would be a problem for you to stick to your weight loss plans. I just got over a cold a few days ago and my problem was trying not to eat too less since all I really wanted was soup and ice water.
  • wildflower0872
    Options
    I'm just coming out the other end of my cold and what I tried to do was drink as much water as I could... eat little and often but keeping within the healthy food ranges, hot soups and soft foods to make it a bit easier on the throat. Rest as much as you can and if you have enough energy gentle walks out in the fresh air or even sitting out drinking a hot drink out there.

Hot water bottle or my hot monkey too! I use Olbas Oil to help me breath and took a little honey for throat and I would have had a little whisky and lemon too if there had been any available!

Tis rubbish but you will get through it... try not to stress, let your body do what it needs to do, then push on with your goals.

:flowerforyou:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Why would a cold be an excuse to eat whatever you want? Just eat the way you normally do, but cut back on the exercise as you won't have the energy you might normally have. It's just a cold.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log my food when I'm sick. I know I don't eat very balanced, because all I want is soup and crackers, and I just want to get the fluids I need so I can get better without worrying about the sodium content or calories or macros or any of that stuff.

Rest. Get better. Get back on track. It will only hurt your progress if you don't get back on track. Getting sick happens. It's at most a slight detour, not a roadblock.

{edited to add: I'm not talking about a little sniffling, sneezing, under-the-weather kind of sick... I don't consider myself "sick" unless I'm knocked on my *kitten* with a fever, sinuses full of mucus, throat so sore I can't swallow, and body aches so bad it hurts to brush my hair.}
  • shakespeare444
    Options
    Thanks all--- I tend to gorge myself when I get sick and I want to avoid that but still kick this cold in the butt! Great advice from all and I will be cooking up some chicken soup tonight!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Zero reason to overeat because you have a cold, and you can still exercise, altho you might want to stay away from heavy cardio, particularly if you are running a fever. Be sure to drink plenty of water and adding soup should lower your calories unless you aren't eating enough to begin with, just be careful of the sodium in prepared soups. Making your own is the best way to go, but if you don't have enough energy for that, try low sodium versions.

Zicam always helps me get over a cold faster.
  • Jenndragonflys
    Jenndragonflys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have one now too :( Lots of soup, Progresso light soups are good & only 100 cal. or less :) but you should try to say on track anyway even if your not feeling good. Good luck
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Got a pretty bad sinusitis right now and have been sick for a week, being on antibiotics for three days now (and will have to take them for some more). Food wise I just stick to what I was eating before, just trying to cut down a bit, because I don't have many exercise calories to eat back. I still try to go for a walk or some light biking though. Drink a lot of tea, eat some soup, fresh vegetable and fruits. It shouldn't change your eating too much in my opinion. Or do you feel like you need more, because you feel weak and hungry?
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've got a cold or some sort of a virus and have been continuing to track as usual, doing my best to eat nutrient-dense foods, but guided more by what I feel I can manage to eat than usual [more oranges and tea, for example]. I absolutely will not eat empty calories now as I really want to get well and stay positive about my progress.

Where I've noticed a difference from my usual routine: I can't push myself to be active because, if I do, I seem to get more ill rather than better. There have been studies saying people can continue to exercise, but I haven't found that to be true for me, so I'm giving myself extra rest for now.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log my food when I'm sick.

with all due respect, I would ignore this approach. A cold is not an excuse to stop or interrupt your plan.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand why it would be a problem for you to stick to your weight loss plans. I just got over a cold a few days ago and my problem was trying not to eat too less since all I really wanted was soup and ice water.

Shoot, when I'm sick I've always ate like a tank... like my body really wanted the extra fuel to keep going when I was feeling down and out.

Each person is different, what is normal for you obviously isn't normal for the OP.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've got a cold too. I've been eating less and resting more, and am finding that helps. Then my body can focus on healing itself rather than using energy in digestion.
  • wildflower0872
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be puzzled by your original concern... if I'm ill, how do I stop myself falling into old habits.

It is maybe a bit too easy to say to another... oh that SHOULDN'T be a problem but if you have had years of doing the same thing the same way... then to nudge yourself into a new way of doing... will take a bit of effort and discipline.

That doesn't mean you have to beat yourself to death with high expectations... be kind to yourself in other ways, take care of you and find ways to feel nurtured without having the habit of eating unhealthy options bring you down. Your logic knows you will just end up feeling rubbish afterwards anyway so try forming a new way to be when you are ill.

Treats in the form of a new book, a bubble bath, a new album to listen to while you are feeling rubbish... or plan something positive a new pair of trainers or a nice day away with friends.

Rewire the old habits and create a new set of wiring!

• skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My eating isn't the problem when I have a cold - its the exercise. I reduced my exercise.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be puzzled by your original concern... if I'm ill, how do I stop myself falling into old habits.

It is maybe a bit too easy to say to another... oh that SHOULDN'T be a problem but if you have had years of doing the same thing the same way... then to nudge yourself into a new way of doing... will take a bit of effort and discipline.

That doesn't mean you have to beat yourself to death with high expectations... be kind to yourself in other ways, take care of you and find ways to feel nurtured without having the habit of eating unhealthy options bring you down. Your logic knows you will just end up feeling rubbish afterwards anyway so try forming a new way to be when you are ill.

Treats in the form of a new book, a bubble bath, a new album to listen to while you are feeling rubbish... or plan something positive a new pair of trainers or a nice day away with friends.

Rewire the old habits and create a new set of wiring!

This sounds like great advice! Hope you are feeling well soon.