Anyone notice taste change with diet change?

Options
I have gradually been making changes to my diet, to one that is more healthy. I may eat from boredom, but it is comprised of carrots and grapes. For the first time in many years (or possibly ever), I actually get my 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I do not eat junk food very often, but a few days ago while visiting my father-in-law I had some peanut M&M's and found them to taste very chemically. Same thing I have noticed with my Sprite Zero. I have been trying to move solely to water and was always one of those people who couldn't drink plain water - but now it seems that my tastes have been changing quite a bit. I was just curious if anyone else experiences this?

Replies

• littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Yes I have! I can no longer eat tomato ketchup. Its just smells and tastes awful.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    HELL yes! anything processed just tastes like gasoline ahaha no joke. even my sense of smell and stuff has changed! and vegetables and clean foods just taste so amazing! this is a change im happy with :) its to the point where i crave vegetables and can walk by a plate of cookies without any problem. its not even that i wouldnt let myself have one, i just have no desire to ^^
  • thirtyby30
    thirtyby30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yes! I couldn't wait for the pumpkin pie spice lattes to come out for the season this year at SB. I got one - didn't even finish it!
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm starting to have the same.
    I made some ham and cheese muffins for me and my parents about a week ago and I had one today and it was a taste, a few months ago I would have loved but when I tried it a few days ago it was like eating a block of pure fat. It was disgusting.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yep, I experienced the same thing. I think it's my body's way of keeping me on track and making healthier choices.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I started eating healthy about four years ago and I have a hard time eating anything super greasy or salty. Bleh!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Things with sugar in them taste so sweet to me now. Like puckery sweet. I don't enjoy them like I used to.
  • racbergs
    Options
    Yeah, I can't drink ANYTHING flavored, it always leaves a weird taste in my mouth! And the other day I ate a piece of Edward's reeses pie and I thought it tasted like chemical like you said! I thought I was just going nuts, lol :)
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! After eating better for a while I find many things too sweet or salty, can not stand the taste/aftertaste of artificial sweetener and even stevia tastes funny. I feel satisfied with smaller amounts of favorite treats like dark chocolate and ice cream and rarely crave potato chips anymore, lol..... I am also beginning to enjoy the 'taste' of plain cool water. I have given up soda over 20 years ago but never drank enough plain water. Logging and being more aware really makes a huge difference for me. All good changes for me :happy:
  • Suni3276
    Suni3276 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    very true, I've been an avid vegetable eater since I was little but I always craved sweets (some times i still do) but now it does not fill me up..
    But the sugary drinks have stopped.. they taste like plastic... I would rather get water when i eat out (even though people around me are against it and tell me to stop worrying and order a drink like lemonade (but its not fresh, and does not taste good at all)).. I'm glad to actually see this change, I know that it will help me and the rest of us..

back in the day, (as in cave people) we relied on our senses to guide us in what to eat and our taste senses is what kept us alive..) our bodies knew if we were eating something poisonous and those who could not tell the difference from smell, taste color or texture, well died.. So be glad your gaining back your taste senses. :)
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yes! I couldn't wait for the pumpkin pie spice lattes to come out for the season this year at SB. I got one - didn't even finish it!

I did the same thing! Took two sips and tossed it because all I could taste was chemicals. I've been making my own pumpkin smoothies and they're so much better.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We went bowling and hubby and I ordered 1 personal pan pizza to share cuz we felt like we needed something and the choices were horrible. I ended up going to bed after I got home. My stomach hurt so bad! I felt heavy and bloated.

On a good note Cherry Tomatoes tast like candy to me. Frozen grapes are delish! And I can eat a salad and enjoy it even without dressing or at best a very small drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette. Even tuna tastes good to me without mayo.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I did the same thing! Took two sips and tossed it because all I could taste was chemicals. I've been making my own pumpkin smoothies and they're so much better.
    ^^^ oh thank you!! I pass by SB to and from the gym. I rarely go there but this time of year I like their fall flavors. I saw the ad for the pumpkin pie and I was making deals with myself on how much I would have to work out to be able to treat myself to one. Now I will laugh at the sign as I pass by!
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sweets, salts, and fats seem to be much stronger. Got collard greens from my favorite bbq place and they were SO sweet I couldn't eat them. Collard greens! With SUGAR? Wow...
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I was kind of forced into healthy eating after surgery went wrong. Stopped eating fried foods and heavy cream/cheese products. Now my body literally can't process them which I am fine with because I don't miss them at all. Granted some (okay most) of the indigestion is from the surgery gone wrong, but it's crazy how your taste can change too :)
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes! To me it's not so much that unhealthy foods (candy, cookies, fast food) taste bad but they make my stomach hurt now and I rarely crave them. Last night at a party I ate m&m's and pizza and by the end of the m&m's the sugar was making me feel weird and this morning my stomach was veeeery pissed off lol. I also have learned to like greek yogurt, it tastes almost as good as ice cream to me now, and I used to hate it and think it tasted like crap.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I can't drink any kind of soda anymore. Regular is way too sweet and diet tastes like fizzy chemicals. I'm even losing my love of pizza, it's just too greasy. I used to love eating a large pizza by myself and chasing it with coca-cola or root beer so it's definitely a change for me.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I can't bare the smell of fried foods, I used to love a burger from a burger van now the smell turns my stomach and it gets worse if I smell it while running yuk
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to look at hot cereal anymore or eat it period.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i can't drink energy drinks anymore at all, they taste terrible and i used to have one every day. i also can't stand white rice anymore! i prefer brown rice even with the occasional crunchy husk sticking to my teeth. the only carbonated drinks i have now are sugar free sparkling water or regular water or my lactose free 1% milk :)