My sister gave me her Gazelle.. any hints/tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• stacyhall79
    Options
    I got mine from my mom for free and it's what encouraged me to get off my butt and do something. People can joke, but if you are as out of shape as I was when I started, you'll benefit from it. I use the Couch to 5K app and when it says to walk, I go at a slower pace on the Gazelle and when it says to run, I go as hard as I can. It burns the calories, so I don't see why people are dissing it.

I use this website to measure how many calories I've burned: http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

What a great site...thanks for posting!
  • YoYo1951
    Options
    I used to use mine, and it was very beneficial to me. I was able to build up my endurance, and it melted the calories away. While I was using it, I felt good and energized, and began eating better. Again, the calories melted off of me. But just like anything, you must continue to use it to benefit from it. I got it because I had bad knees, and stuggled with walking very long, or very far. It was a perfect piece of equipment for me, and it will be for you too. Use it in the morning and it gets you revved up for the day. Gave me lots of energy. Good luck, I think it is an awesome gift from your sister. :bigsmile:
  • jenec803
    Options
    I just bought a Gazelle at a yard sale for 5 bucks. I wanted something to use over winter because I know I won't want to go out in the snow after I get home from work. I have been using an elliptical at the gym for 4 months and while the Gazelle isn't close to the same work out I was able to work up a sweat in 30 min. Certainly better than doing nothing and it is easy on the knees and joints. If you lean forward a bit you will work your arms more and if you lean back a little you can get a better leg work out. I also read to stand on it sideways to work your inner thighs. I tried it but it was rather awkward to hang on. You should definitely get some free weights to use for strength training.
  • julie2000anne
    julie2000anne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget you can change the resistance and it will give you a better workout. :)
  • nissafull
    Options
    I know there are some hard core physically fit folks on here, but if you are just getting started at fitness, I will testify that it was very helpful for me. I started a weight loss program back in '04. I have a knee injury and do not enjoy running. I could do sprints on the gazelle because it was practically non weight bearing. The handles give you the opportunity to do upper body and up the cardio. I lost 78 pounds and toned up my shoulders significantly. So yes, if you use it, I think you will see some benefits. Good Luck and don't let the nay sayers put you down for trying it.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have had one for about 7-8 years now, Its great if you have knee or low back problems as it is low impact. Raise the resistance on it and it will give you a nice little work out, beats sitting on the couch. Everyone makes fun of it as all they see is Tony Little and his goofy ponytail swaying in the breeze. Its not a bad piece of equipment if you need something simple, uncomplicated and just gets you moving.

I have one - have no idea how to change the resistance!
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    never work out alone with tony little.

gazelle-freestyle-review2.jpg

hahaha-that guy is so creepy!!!!!!!!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Mine has the hydraulic arms on it, on the bottom of those are black bars with holes in them, you just pull the pins and adjust the resistance.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6878863_do-increase-resistance-gazelle-exerciser_.html
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Mine has the hydraulic arms on it, on the bottom of those are black bars with holes in them, you just pull the pins and adjust the resistance.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6878863_do-increase-resistance-gazelle-exerciser_.html

Not all models have the ability to increase resistance. In fact all the models with adjustable resistance from what i can tell have been discontinued. The only one still being manufactured today is the Gazelle Edge, the lowest-end one in the lineup, which doesn't have adjustable resistance. Why, I don't know.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but would like to say to the nay-Sayers that when starting out any exercise is something and kudos to you for being psyched about it.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I did not know they had been discontinued, I have the Power Edge that I can change the resistance on for I think its 5 levels but I have never gotten it up to the highest level.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I started with a Gazelle elliptical and a stairclimber I got off Amazon. It served me really well my first year of getting into exercise. I've moved on to bigger and better things, but I did lose my first 30+ pounds using it. Mine has no way to adjust the resistance, but I found a way to use my body weight to make it harder. If I leaned forward it changed the resistance and if I leaned backwards it changed the resistance in different ways. I'd work out to music for 45-60 minutes and use the songs as a guide. I'd start in upright position for an entire song, lean backwards for an entire song, lean forwards for an entire song. Now I mostly use it to hang clothes on, but I'll still use it if my other options are unavailable.

Good luck!

Also, pay no attention to how many calories the machine tells you that you've burned. It's ridiculously wrong. It would tell me I'd burned 1000+ calories in 20 minutes.