I need to eat the calories i burn during workouts?

Options
Never understood if i need to eat what i burned during workout for example today i burned 800 calories and my total is 2000 .Should eat more 800 calories?

Replies

• deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    u should eat at least half
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    You dont NEED too, if you were maintaining weight or bulking yes, but if you are cutting aslong as you arent going below your minimum daily calorie intake its fine. Minimum is worked out by how much body fat you have as each 1lb of fat is able to contribute approx 30 kcal per day to your energy needs. I.E If you need 2000 calories per day and you have 30lbs of excess fat you can safely eat 1100 calories per day aslong as you are getting adequate nutrition which would be quite difficult.

Site note, it would be important too eat something post workout to aid recovery.
  • mjma93
    Options
    i was wondering the same..
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    No. Unless you're hungry and want to eat some of them. But you don't need to.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Depends how you've set up your calorie goal. Aim for a reasonable deficit at the end of the day. Do the "bookkeeping" however you prefer.
  • lisav6
    Options
    I just try to make sure my net is above 1200 rather than eating it all back.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would go with half.. but depending on what you have your daily calories set at!
  • dontquitforreal
    Options
    Basically when you enter exercise, a formula is being used to tell you how many calories you've burned. However, everyone's different and I think that just because it says you burned 800 doesn't necessarily mean you actually did..... plus calories are really a barometer saying how much it would take to burn a food off. No one can say exactly how many calories something really is. Something that's 150 calories for one person might actually be LIKE 200 or 300 calories for someone else, if they have a different metabolism. But since for example, a piece of cheese has more fat than a serving of pretzels, you probably can rely on the fact that it has more calories simply because it has more fat, etc. So, I would say we should use this whole diary thing as a good barometer, but when it comes down to it, don't eat if you're not hungry and stop when you're satisfied (not necessarily full). We can trust our bodies! We just spend so much time looking at what's on the page that many of us have forgotten to listen. So it'll take practice to listen again. I'm trying to work on that. So to answer your question, maybe you should eat all those calories..... if you're hungry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat them!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Never understood if i need to eat what i burned during workout for example today i burned 800 calories and my total is 2000 .Should eat more 800 calories?

If you have set up your MFP for weight loss then yes you do need to eat back a lot of those calories. Eating actually helps to fuel the weight loss as many posters have noted on their posts. Even if you are maintaining your current weight you would need to eat back a lot of those calories or you would lose weight.

What I like to do if the calories earned are high enough, I indulge in Red Velvet cupcakes. Or a favorite meal that is calorie rich. Or chocolate if that's what I'm wanting.

Putting your body into starvation mode is never a good thing.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank God someone finally asked this question, I've been wondering...

:-/