Recording Food = Stressful. Help?

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for years now. I originally joined MFP years ago because I found recording really helped me, but as my life got crazier and I had less control over my food, I stopped recording. I told myself it would be easier to record once I have my own place and can stock my own fridge and cook my own meals.

Almost a month ago my boyfriend and I got our own apartment. It has been great buying food and I do feel I'm eating a LOT healthier. All the weight lost on my ticker have mainly been from moving and being in this new enviornment. However, I really want my weight to come of a little faster and I feel recording will help secure that for a while. It just seems so stressful sometimes though.

As of right now I do not record my food (hence my diary is locked). I want to start recording again because it seems that the people who do record are making so much progress so fast! If I start recording, how long should it take for me to adjust to recording things?

EDIT/ADD: And for those of you who have recorded to lose weight and have reached your maintain stage, do you ever stop recording? I fear I'll have to record my whole life and that doesn't sound appealing to me. Or do we naturally adjust to how much we are intaking once we reach our goals?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh come on, just do it!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My answer won't really help you because I love to record and log all my cals, in and out as well. I find it especially helpful with tracking the cals I need to eat back after exercising. I was shocked to see that after some crazy workouts, my net calorie intake was as low as 800-900, and this is really not enough to lose fat fast and steady, whitout losing some muscle in the process. Anyway, my best advice would be: just do it. Don't care about later or anything. It is somewhat stressful to see that you go over, but it's equally rewarding to see that you reach your calorie goal most of the time.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you want results recording is part of the process. It's a way to keep yourself honest and AWARE. Recording on here is so easy I find I have no excuse not to. Once you get a few weeks under your belt it becomes second nature. If you like keep your diary locked and no one else has to know. JUST DO IT!! You will be so much happier with yourself in a few weeks.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad :) I think one thing that helps me is that I generally eat the same or similar things for breakfast & lunch each day. I'll have toast some days for breakfast, and eggs on other days, but it is generally just those two things, maybe prepared differently so I don't get bored. The thing is that when you start keeping a record, you get to know the calorie costs of things. For example I know the calorie costs of eggs and toast, pretty much :)

It also keeps track of your 'favourite' things or most used items so most of the time, I just see the list and tick off what I had that day rather than searching for it.

I don't sit down and do it all of my entry at once either, I'll normally input my breakfast in the morning, along with what I plan on having for lunch & snacks that day (I pack my lunch) At night, I enter my dinner and then delete any of my lunch that I didn't eat, add my exercise and then complete :) Sometimes I'll complete it the morning after instead if I've run out of time :)

It's just getting into the habits again. I don't think you will have many problems after using the program for a while because you will realise what the proper portion sizes are, and what foods you shoudl avoid :)
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    It will take as long as it takes to make up your mind.

I NEVER stop recording. I use it sometimes to plan, and sometimes to gauge if I have gone over (NEVER - whew!) and always to see my nutrition levels. I am losing weight, but I want to be healthy at the end, and forever after. I want the journey to be the destination.

Best luck, LeeAnn
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Recording makes things so much easier, but once you're at your goal weight and maintaining you won't have to record as much. I log everything just now to be super-accurate, but I know roughly calories etc. looking at portion sizes, so you do start to get a feel for things after a while :)
  • Luebella
    Options
    I am not a details person either, so I know what you mean, it is alot of work keeping track of everything everyday, but it is useful. What has worked for me was to set aside a window of time every day so it becomes a habit or a ritual. Either just before bedtime, or first thing in the morning, or close to whatever is part of your usual routine.

Good Luck, we can do it!
    :smile:
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think recording is completely worth it.
    Without my food diary I am willing to bet that I'd still be gaining weight instead of loosing it.
    Does it suck to really see what's in a pint of ben and jerry's?
    Absolutely.
    But it took me seeing that to realize that it's NOT worth it, and that was my favorite food EVER.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Recording gets easier, faster, and you'll find it less stressful. You can use it to learn, some foods you assume are healthy, might not be as good as you thought! Recording can help you decide what you can and can't fit into your diet, it helps you to plan ahead.

You also should ask yourself, does the thought of always having to keep track of your food really seem worse than being unhealthy, uncomfortable, overweight? I have thought the same things as you before, but even if that is what it takes for me to maintain, i'll do it. That being said, I severely doubt you will have to always record. You can learn how to eat in order to maintain, and can be able to do it without logging if you really don't want to.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The more you log your food, the easier it gets. It's just a tool, and a tool that can make things easier and LESS stressful.

After you've been logging for a while, all your favorite and most commonly used foods are going to be in your diary already. It's just a matter of clicking checkboxes to add them. For me, that makes meal planning a snap. After I have breakfast and lunch, I look at what's left, both in calories as well as macros (protein, fat, carbs) and see what I'm missing for the day. Then I start checking off the food items I've used and currently have at my disposal, and I can plan a great dinner that will help me reach my goals.
    EDIT/ADD: And for those of you who have recorded to lose weight and have reached your maintain stage, do you ever stop recording? I fear I'll have to record my whole life and that doesn't sound appealing to me. Or do we naturally adjust to how much we are intaking once we reach our goals?

I've been maintaining for well over a year. I don't *always* log, but I come back to it. I don't like the idea of logging forever and ever. I don't log on weekends or holidays. I know I could skip a few weeks of not logging without any major effect. But this wasn't a "diet" that I started and stopped. Diets are temporary, and so are the results. This is just how I eat and exercise now. Maintaining isn't any different than losing, but there's a bit more wiggle room in the calorie department. I still need to monitor what I eat and still need to exercise just as hard as ever. It's just part of my daily routine now, like brushing my teeth or showering. If logging my food ~5 days a week keeps my body healthy and strong, it's worth it. Just like how it's worth the time I take shaving my legs to have silky smooth legs.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your input. I have read them all and I think I'll definitely start recording again.

And to those of you who answered about the maintaining part, it is comforting to hear. I can see how if you log to lose the weight, how it will stay second nature.

Thanks!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Oh come on, just do it!

Sounds harsh... but I agree. It is SO easy to log. Ask ANY Dr, nutritionist, dietitian w/e. This is the way to lose weight. Don't wait, just do it. Once you do you'll see how/ why it is so important.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's only as hard as you make it, and once you get started it will become the norm for you if you really want a healthy lifestyle bad enough. I do it in the morning while eating my breakfast - I log all my food for the entire day at that time and it's a part of my daily routine.

I've been logging my food & exercise on MFP every single day since February 1, 2010 and don't plan on ever stopping. And yes, even though I have been struggling A LOT for the past 6 months I even log the really bad days. I have to be accountable to myself to be successful and keep this weight off.

All the best to you on your journey!
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Having a positive attitude makes such a difference! :) Especially with things that are not measurable. If you tell yourself logging food is stressful, you will feel it to be stressful. You will believe yourself when you say it.

If you think of something as fun, or as something that you enjoy doing, then it won't be stressful any more...try to think of the fun part of logging in to MFP! Here are some of the things that I like: You have friends, you can check out what others are having for lunch, you can see their progress, you can see that others are sometimes going through the same difficulties as you are so you can give and get support. When you look for a food to log, the way it's presented is so friendly - you can choose portion size to be one spoon or one small slice - I personally have no clue whatsoever how many grams of butter are in one spoon or in one medium-sized apple, so for me this is very helpful.

Plus, I also realized that I can't really tell exactly how much I'm eating...Sometimes I think I haven't had much, but it turns out I'm way off, other times I think I was pigging out but I was on track. It seems like it should be more obvious...but for me at least it isn't. So keeping track just helps me have an idea of what's going on.

So...try to stay positive! Good luck :)
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there's also this article I found very interesting:

http://zenhabits.net/starting/

It says the key to creating a habit is to start doing that thing every day. Not necessarily doing it for a long time...the key is starting to do it. Every day.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I definitely can relate to it and see how it applies to me.
    Oh, and there's also this article I found very interesting:

http://zenhabits.net/starting/

It says the key to creating a habit is to start doing that thing every day. Not necessarily doing it for a long time...the key is starting to do it. Every day.

I started reading this then printed it out to read later. Thanks for sharing!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    for those of you who have recorded to lose weight and have reached your maintain stage, do you ever stop recording? I fear I'll have to record my whole life and that doesn't sound appealing to me. Or do we naturally adjust to how much we are intaking once we reach our goals?
    Once in awhile I stop tracking to test myself, to see if my eating habits have changed or if the tracking is a crutch to keep myself in line. Last year I stopped tracking for about 6 months and continued to drop 1 - 2lbs. / week.

I'm not trackng now. I'm near maintenance level and I'm switching my goals from weight loss to improving fitness. It looks like I will need to start tracking again to make sure I'm eating enough for strength gains.

Long term I have no desire to track my food intake for the rest of my life. For now, using it as a tool to meet goals works well.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I usually give up on logging (experiences on other websites) very quickly because it was such a PITA, but I like MFP's set up so much that I've stuck with it for a month now. That's a long time for me! What I like about logging is what it's teaching me. I learn a lot about foods, their nutrional values, their serving sizes, etc. I like seeing that when I choose less calorie dense foods it lets me eat more throughout the day. I like seeing that I am (or aren't) getting enough protein, calcium, etc. MFP makes it so much easier to keep up with too with the barcode scanner, phone/iPad apps, recipe and meal tools, etc. So what I'm saying is, instead of looking at logging as a chore, look at it as an fantastic empowerment tool. It gives you the knowledge you need to make your life a healthier one!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel like MFP makes tracking calories/macros *SO* easy that it doesn't seem like a chore. And I can't complain with the results. I've shed 36 pounds in just over 12 weeks. It works, so long as you maintain the discipline to keep at it. Also, the past 3 weeks, I have not had internet at home, so I have been unable to log on the weekends. I have been writing things down and guessing for some things, but it didn't hamper my progress at all because I was still mindful of my goals.

I :heart: MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like recording...it gives me something to do. I'm an obsessive person, though.

The idea is you should be able to learn to eat healthy and get a good gauge of portion size, so you shouldn't have to record the rest of your life if you take the lesson with you.