Finished my first marathon today ...

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
2 years ago I was 276 pounds and very unhappy with myself and my life. I had no hobbies, all I did was work and put other people ahead of my needs constantly. I decided to do something about it, and started training for a 5k race. I have NEVER been a runner, even when I was thinner. But I found something I loved ... and so I kept doing it. I went from a 5K to a 5 miler and then in January 2011 I ran my first half marathon. Was it pretty ... nah I was still 255 pounds... but I finished!

I ran 13 half marathons and decided it was time to try a full marathon. Yep 26.2 miles baby! I trained all summer -- in one of the hottest summers ever here in Wisconsin, and I struggled many, many times.

But today, I crossed the finish line of my first marathon. I am a marathoner! Was it always pretty ... nah miles 16-19 kinda sucked. But I never gave up and just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

Am I skinny ... nah ... am I at my goal weight... nah ... but why wait for all of that to experience life! :)

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    RIGHT ON!
  • ImaFitMormon
    ImaFitMormon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I'm so proud of you for doing a marathon! I'm not sure I aspire to that but when I finished my short triathlon I thought I'd conquered the world! Are you blogging your progress anywhere? I'd love to hear more. I've started blogging about my progress. I've lost 100 lbs now. http://www.makefatcry.com
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration. Proud to be your friend.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That i sooooo wonderful! You should be so proud, and I think it's great that you don't wait to experience anything. You are an inspiration!!!
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Really impressed by this. Well done :-)
    Jane
  • ROWinCO
    Options
    Way to go!!! Keep doing your thing!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You are so amazing & still one of the reasons I was motivated to run a half. :) Great job today as I know getting here wasn't easy but it was SO WORTH IT!!
  • alycat06
    Options
    Amazing! You give me hope that I too can be a marathoner. I'm training for my first 5K, and I have fallen in love with running. :) Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your success!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    So proud of you! You have accomplished SOOOO much. Heck, I am at my GW but I'm too scared to tackle a full. You're such an inspiration to many people, myself included. Keep challenging yourself girl!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Your so awesome your going to keep kicking butt and taking names i can already tell
  • stacked
    stacked Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is FANTastic!!!!

Im gonna do a marathon in March and Im terrified!
    And still 30ish pounds overweight but youre right, why wait?

Good job! I admire ya
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    that is AMAZING!! great, great job ma'am!! you are truly an inspiration!! keep going!! GREAT JOB!!
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A W E S O M E ! ! !
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Am I skinny ... nah ... am I at my goal weight... nah ... but why wait for all of that to experience life! :)
    I love this philosophy! I think you're amazing! I'm not a runner so anyone who can do a marathon is amazing in my books.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Congradulations.... what an amzing achievement..... keep it up
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Great job today, I'm very proud of you.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am in training for my first marathon and you are an inspiration!
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Congrats!!! Super amazing that you ran a marathon. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!