Sugar: anyone else having a problem with it?

Options
For the most part, I eat under 1,000 calories a day and I track my sugar intake on mfp. It tells me to aim for 24 grams or less but even though I eat under the 1,200 recommended calories, my sugar intake will be exactly that or higher. Its not like I'm eating cake or bakery stuff. I have to watch how much yogurt and fruit I eat now even though that's pretty much all I eat for breakfast. (6oz of La yogurt is like 19 grams worth) If you want to see my food diary, you have to friend me.
Is anyone else having this problem and how are you dealing with it?

Replies

• mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Totally. I dont eat sweets or soda or anything usually, and i'm ALWAYS over my sugar allowance. Honestly, the way I'm dealing with it is by shaking my head, accepting the inevitable, and ignoring it....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a) Turn it off - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    or
    b) Change the target - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

no point have a target that doesn't match your goals.
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought about changing the target but I'm not really sure how much it should be at. I have been trying to cut down on my sugar intake but this is getting ridiculous lol.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've stopped tracking my sugar intake. I know that 90% of the food I eat is healthy, so the sugar I'm eating doesn't come from chocolate and junk food. I figure just track calories and protein and such and let the sugar do what it wants, as long as it's healthy sugar. :)
  • mrramsey
    Options
    I don't really watch that number too much albeit I am never way over it. I stay away from refined sugars for the most part. I have a little in my coffee and add some light brown sugar to my steel cut oats but aside from that its just the natural sugars in fruit etc.
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    Oh geez, this topic is made for me. I'm ALWAYS over my sugar intake, every single day. Hell, according to MFP, I've just about hit my daily limit after a bowl of Cherrios for breakfast. Like another poster said, I usually just shake my head and ignore it now. As long as it's not INSANELY high -- like triple digits over -- I feel my diet is okay, and I don't worry too much about it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought about changing the target but I'm not really sure how much it should be at. I have been trying to cut down on my sugar intake but this is getting ridiculous lol.

Well if your carb intake were to be 40% of your calories at say 1600 calories a day, that's 640 calories or 160g of carbs. If you had half of that as sugar it would be 80g per day.

There isn't a rational nutritional guideline for total sugar as far as I can tell. There isn't really a logical case for differentiating it from starch etc.
  • nikinonsense
    Options
    I'm always over my sugar. It's not too terrible when I'm over by like 15g but sometimes I can go over by 100g. That's when I have cookies or something. My friend had no idea how much she was going over until I showed her how to view it in her diary.
  • rg_0202
    Options
    I'm always over sugar. And it's not like I'm eating sweets either. Maybe it's because I eat a lot of fruit? I've noticed apples and bananas have a lot.. but I love them. (:
  • tinamwaits
    Options
    I am always over on sugar and it is ALWAYS from fruit and/or yogurt. I just gave up and don't worry about it.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think eating under 1,000 calories a day is a MUCH bigger problem than your sugar intake
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think eating under 1,000 calories a day is a MUCH bigger problem than your sugar intake

This.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have two glasses of tea a day and that kills it for me along with the other stuff thats not sugar but has it. But I'm not messing up my tea with stevia, and I'm not looking at sugar numbers any more. I just watch the carbs and I usually have carbs left over.
  • evamcph
    evamcph Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think unless you are a diabetic, I wouldn't worry about being 'over' on your sugar intake. Of course, certain fruits have more sugar than others, but I think as long as you don't eat white, refined sugar, you should be o.k. It's something I crave though & it's really hard to give up!:smile:
  • evamcph
    evamcph Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1,000 calories is not enough.:flowerforyou:
  • sStephSs26
    sStephSs26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    it could def be from fruit, that always puts me over. as long as it isn't from say candy I wouldnt worry too much about it
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

beat me too it. my thoughts exactly
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just added sugar to my diary the other day and realized that I, too, am over every single day and that my cereal (usually Kashi or some other healthy option) with 1% milk puts me at my 30g/day limit. So even after just a few days I'm realizing it's not realistic.