Tofu Parmigiana Recipe

Options
For the tofu lovers, skeptics and even the tofu haters in your life. This recipe is AWESOME! I highly recommend it.

6235_10151114524327701_1527174783_n.jpg

1. Press tofu between some paper towels with something heavy on top of it. This gets out the excess moisture and makes it easier to handle.

2. Cut block of tofu into 4 pieces, horizontally. If you cut them correctly, they should still have the original shape of the block of tofu, just a lot thinner.

3. Dust each piece on both sides with garlic powder and italian seasonings. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.

4. Pour egg beaters over slices of tofu. Using your fingers (or a utensil), make sure that all sides of the tofu is coated in eggs.

5. Pour bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on a separate plate. Mix thoroughly. Grab a piece of tofu, wipe off excess egg, place on the plate of bread crumbs. Press down to fully coat one side of tofu, then flip and repeat. Make sure to push bread crumbs up against the sides of the tofu so they get covered too. Set aside. Repeat on all pieces.

6. Heat up a small frying pan. While pan is heating, spray top and bottom of each piece of tofu with olive oil spray.

7. One at a time, place a piece of tofu in the hot pan. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat for each piece.

8. When all pieces are "fried", place them in a baking dish, side by side. Spread sauce evenly over the top of the tofu, then top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 F.

(sorry if the instructions suck. I suck at explaining how I do things)

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued. Does the tofu remain crispy?
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

It doesn't really get that crispy in the first place, since you aren't using much oil. The frying pan step is more to keep the breadcrumbs adhered and to enhance the flavors. I don't miss the crispiness though.
  • AniOmni
    Options
    I've never tried to make tofu before... maybe I'll start with this.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was interested to try this one, too,
    til i saw the calories, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IS THAT CALORIE COUNT RIGHT??? :noway: Would one serving have 16oz of tofu in one serving????????

One way to cut the calories down, would be to make your own red sauce from tomato sauce, not hard to do. Skinnytaste has some easy red sauce recipes.

OH WAIT, NEVERMIND, SORRY, NOW I SEE, wayyyyyyyyyyy down at the bottom, is 233 calories per serving! oH okay!! whew.

rofl!!! sorry! i will give this recipe a try!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    looks Good, Thanks for sharing! I would make my own red sauce too, as bluejean poster said.. Also, to bluejean poster, I belive the recipe posted serves 4.

Thanks again, Will try this weekend:-)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    236 cals/serving for a breaded cutlet with cheese seems pretty low by my lights.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    bump for later, looks good :)
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

It doesn't really get that crispy in the first place, since you aren't using much oil. The frying pan step is more to keep the breadcrumbs adhered and to enhance the flavors. I don't miss the crispiness though.

If you want crispy I'd recommend baking the tofu in the oven alone, heating the sauce separately, then assembling in the pan and throwing under the broiler to melt the cheese quickly.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nice recipe, btw. I'll have to try it out. :)
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    Mmm, sounds good! I'm a huge tofu person, but have hit a roadblock lately on other ways to cook it. Definitely going to give this one a try! Thanks for the share :D
  • siriuslestrange1
    Options
    I was interested to try this one, too,
    til i saw the calories, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IS THAT CALORIE COUNT RIGHT??? :noway: Would one serving have 16oz of tofu in one serving????????

One way to cut the calories down, would be to make your own red sauce from tomato sauce, not hard to do. Skinnytaste has some easy red sauce recipes.

OH WAIT, NEVERMIND, SORRY, NOW I SEE, wayyyyyyyyyyy down at the bottom, is 233 calories per serving! oH okay!! whew.

rofl!!! sorry! i will give this recipe a try!

lol I was going to say, the calorie count at the bottom is for 1/4th of a 16oz package of tofu, plus 1/4th of the rest of the ingredients.
  • siriuslestrange1
    Options
    236 cals/serving for a breaded cutlet with cheese seems pretty low by my lights.

its because you're using such small amounts of the bread crumbs, parm cheese and mozz on top. Also, the mozz is made with 2% milk. You can also actually use light tofu to lower calories further.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great job with that. I'm gonna veganize it with some Galaxy shreds and serve it with garlicky kale and white beans! :heart: