How do you feel about water enhancers?

Options
I was thinking the other day about how it's hard to drink the recommended daily amount of water when there are so many other better tasting beverages like soda and juice. I was trying to think of ways I could make sure to get in all the water my body needs and the thought of those drink powders and flavorings came to mind.

I'm a big fan of Vitamin Water, I know it's not as good for you as it claims, but it tastes really good and I drink the zero calorie version but it's expensive and wasteful to keep buying bottle after bottle. I used to use that Crystal Lite powder and some of the flavors were pretty good, and recently I've been seeing a lot of commercials for a new liquid water flavoring called Mio.

My question is, do you think using these flavor enhancing products is "cheating" or is it okay to still log it as regular water when you use them?

I'm posting this as more of a discussion topic rather than for advice, just fyi.

Replies

• raisingallboys
    raisingallboys Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are cheating. I get the generic crystal light mixes that are only 5 calories. They taste really good and then I don't feel deprived!
  • Adding flavor to your water is a great way to encourage yourself to drink more!

However, I am skeptical of some of those 'enhanced waters' because I have no clue what is REALLY in my water.

So my suggestion to you: try adding flavor to your water in other ways. For example, you could add a real lemon. I know it may not be portable, but if you save up some water bottles, you can reuse them. Bring the bottle with you full of water with a lemon in it, and then just refill it. I have never tried it, but I imagine I would do that.

You could also try drinking tea, but avoid adding sugar or honey, which can add extra calories.

Sometimes, I find myself drinking more water simply because the water is within reach. Try keeping a bottle of water with you.

Another way of forcing yourself to drink more water: drink a cup of water before you eat a meal or snack. This method is supposed to also help you eat smaller portions, but I do not know if that is true. If you can develop a habit of drinking that water before you eat, then you should for sure increase your water consumption.