Gym - No Gym

Options
Is it possible to get similar results from calisthenics as weight lifting? Just really not big on going into the gym to do weights, I normally skip cardio in the gym for a good run on a trail - plus it can be expensive. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics work really well for toning the body, especially when combined with cardio. You could always buy a few weights and lift at home. Most people won't use an entire weight set and it'll take up too much space, but how about getting just two or three pairs of dumbbells in different sizes? They're cheap at Target or Walmart and won't take up a lot of room. I do most of my strength training at home as well, I'm not too keen on working out in front of other people.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics work really well for toning the body, especially when combined with cardio. You could always buy a few weights and lift at home. Most people won't use an entire weight set and it'll take up too much space, but how about getting just two or three pairs of dumbbells in different sizes? They're cheap at Target or Walmart and won't take up a lot of room. I do most of my strength training at home as well, I'm not too keen on working out in front of other people.

You can do weight training at home if you have the will power to work out alone. I like having people around me and I like to do exercise classes in addition to weight training.
  • berrieblu
    berrieblu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i personally find that if i don't do my weight training at the gym, i don't do it at all. and weight training is important, especially if you're trying to lose and keep off a significant amount of weight - it boosts your metabolism and keeps you from looking like a cancer patient. (seriously....have you ever seen someone that's lost 100 lbs with minimal exercise?? on the flip side, i know a guy that's lost over 200 lbs doing MMA and weight training and he looks great.)

i think if you're going to stick with it at home, you probably still need a few weights, a kettle-bell, or some resistance bands to get some decent results. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Of course you can't get gym results without access to gym equipment. That's why we call them gym results. But you can get *results* from bodyweight workouts. Go on youtube and look for bodyweight workouts or buy a book like Your Body is Your Gym.
  • whatsajosh
    whatsajosh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You guys are great, thanks!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get similar results from calisthenics as weight lifting? Just really not big on going into the gym to do weights, I normally skip cardio in the gym for a good run on a trail - plus it can be expensive. Thanks for any input.
    no.

Forceful muscle contractions do different things to your body and your hormone levels. lift weights, get results.
  • Bransonlee
    Bransonlee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy at home and I live in an apartment without tons of extra space... if you really want results you can make it work at home. Someday maybe a gym will be in my budget but I am not going to waste time waiting for that day ;)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy at home and I live in an apartment without tons of extra space... if you really want results you can make it work at home. Someday maybe a gym will be in my budget but I am not going to waste time waiting for that day ;)

awesome attitude to have.