I'm motivated, but keep messing up

Options
I have lost 73lbs since March and I still have 70 to go. My day starts out great, but once the sun goes down I start to have these huge eating episodes, making me feel worse than I did with the extra 73lbs on. On occasion I have thrown up my binge in hopes it won't turn into more fat build up. I know it's pathetic and I should just quit whining.

Replies

• purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. 70 pounds is a big loss! You wouldn't lose that much without doing things mostly right.

Maybe you can plan to eat more during the day so you're not so hungry at night? Other than that, I can recommend Atkins, it has helped me control my appetite and cravings alot.
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mouth wash!! The strongest one you can stand.. It will stop that binge eating..
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Worst thing you can do is beat yourself up hun. You already lost 73 lbs, that's amazing! Maybe take a look at what you're eating during the day- when I replaced high-calorie breads with protein, I felt a lot more full even though I was eating fewer raw calories. Just a thought. Don't push it though, maybe take a breather and get used to being at the new weight, then tackle the next 70 when you're feeling more secure in how you eat. Either way, give yourself some credit!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 73 lbs. May not be as close to your goal as you'd like, but you're doing a heck of a lot better than you were.

I was stressing at first, but then I realized I didn't have to be perfect I just have to be better.

I've focused on a series of small sustainable changes.
    Improve one or two things until they are habit, then you don't have to think about them any more.
    Then improve another couple of things until they are habit and so on and so forth.

I got to my goal weight, but from the start my whole mission has been to get to a sustainable maintenance plan.

I'm still bouncing around as I tweak my maintenance.

BTW, I'm a night time eater too. I'm finding if I eat more at night I'm just not as hungry during the day. So coffee for breakfast at 10 AM. <500 cal for lunch and depending on exercise 1000- 1200 cal for dinner and late night snack.

I tried doing the several small meals thing, but ALWAYS ended up going over my calories.
    I'm better off having a sizable meal and then going off and focusing on something else.
  • Em_ALPT
    Options
    I have lost 73lbs since March and I still have 70 to go. My day starts out great, but once the sun goes down I start to have these huge eating episodes, making me feel worse than I did with the extra 73lbs on. On occasion I have thrown up my binge in hopes it won't turn into more fat build up. I know it's pathetic and I should just quit whining.

73lbs lost is fantastic!! What an amazing achievement. I'm sure you don't need to be told that though :)
    Binge eating at night can be because a couple of reasons, I do it from time to time too. Mine is generally exhaustion or emotional. To stop mine I tried to use something sweet but low in calories, jelly was a good one. I had to really work hard to stop myself after it though. The other trick I use is to drink a glass of room temperate water (because it's easier to drink the whole lot at room temp) when I thought of food or felt 'hungry'. If after half an hour I was actually hungry then I had a piece of fruit. 10 cherries and a low fat hot choc (really low fat and low cal) was a good substitute if I needed it. 9 times out of 10 the water did the trick though.
    Just some ideas - you may or may not find them helpful!
    Good luck and be kind to yourself and think about the awesome results you've had so far.
    Em
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE do not start throwing up in effort to thwart what you are eating. If you are having trouble with your cravings try giving yourself a little more of what you are craving in a healthy way. If you want something sweet so bad that you binge on sweets try giving yourself fruit, yogurt, fat free snacks, and if all else fails a little of something that is not good for you, but do not throw up your food because that is the start of something very ugly, and is just as much an addiction as it is to overeat. If you have not overcome your addiction to food it is like any other addiction, some things take time to break and some people do worse trying to go cold turkey. You may also want to try going to bed earlier, making sure you are getting full when you do eat, getting enough calories in when you do eat, etc.