Where am I going wrong?

Options
I started getting serious about losing weight about 3 months ago, with a goal to lose 30kgs.
I lost 10kgs in the first couple of months but since then, I haven't lost a thing.
I've really stepped it up last couple of weeks, making sure I'm under my calories, eating really healthy and being active and doing loads of cardio 5 days a week.
I stepped on the scales this morning and I actually gained a kilo!!
Needless to say I feel totally deflated today!
I've looked back through my diary to see where I could make improvements but it all looks like I'm on the right track.
Maybe I've gained muscle or something.
Can I get some weight loss tips from anyone who's doing really well or have been in my situation?
I've definitely got the eating under control, maybe 1hr on the cross trainer isn't enough?

Replies

• vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so I wouldnt know how to help with that... It could be muscle
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell your diary is private. We can't be too much help to you without seeing what/how much you're eating.

What is you calorie goal?
    What are you eating?
    How much do you weight?
    Height? Age?
    What's your workout routine?
  • kseg82
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I'm having between 1000 to 1200 calories per day
    I have started working out on my cross trainer for 1hr in the evenings, most days.
    Also do a bit of strength with sit ups and push ups of a morning.

I'm 30 and 5'5
    Too embarrassed to tell anyone my weight but I need to lose at least 30 more kilos.

I'm doing meal replacement shakes too.. I have 1 or 2 a day with one healthy meal and healthy snacks like an apple or something similar.

I also have an 18mnth old at home with me which keeps me on my toes lol

I guess when I have an awesome week I expect to see results on the scales.. But I know it doesn't work like that.
    Either way I'm not giving up!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think that this maybe your problem. A balanced diet might be a kick start to weight loss.

There are people here who have lost 100s of pounds. There is nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would eat atleast 1200 cals per day... I was only eating 1000 cals a day and not losing, I upped my intake to 1200, and the scale has started to move!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well I will make an assumption that you are approximately 85kg. If that were so, at 30 years of age and 5'5", doing 3-5 hours of moderate activity per week, you should be aiming to eat approximately 1950 calories/day for a weight loss of 1.8kg/month. Since your BMR is roughly 1572 based on my weight estimate, you could decrease the calories you eat by maybe another 150 daily and go for about 1800 calories/day (but DON'T eat back your exercise calories from that since I already included them in the calculation); I'm assuming you're burning at least 300 calories/day on average - or about 2100 calories/week in exercise.

You should see moderate weight loss of .5kg/week if you eat 1800 calories/day.

By my estimation, you are not eating enough. You are stressing your body to where your hormones are being upset and causing your metabolism to slow temporarily, thus, negating any weight loss from your caloric deficit.

My source: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I started getting serious about losing weight about 3 months ago, with a goal to lose 30kgs.
    I lost 10kgs in the first couple of months but since then, I haven't lost a thing.
    I've really stepped it up last couple of weeks, making sure I'm under my calories, eating really healthy and being active and doing loads of cardio 5 days a week.
    I stepped on the scales this morning and I actually gained a kilo!!
    Needless to say I feel totally deflated today!
    I've looked back through my diary to see where I could make improvements but it all looks like I'm on the right track.
    Maybe I've gained muscle or something.
    Can I get some weight loss tips from anyone who's doing really well or have been in my situation?
    I've definitely got the eating under control, maybe 1hr on the cross trainer isn't enough?

Can't actually gain muscle unless you are lifting heavy and eating great protein and taking reasonable deficit. None of which you are doing.

Look back over your records, did you have progressively slower weight loss the last month or two?
    Like went weekly from 1kg, to .75kg, to .5kg, to .25kg, to nothing here lately?

So are you ready to stop doing what is not working?
    That being massive cardio and eating under goal. And that goal probably not being appropriate for your level of activity anyway.

Just in case you are thinking you should keep doing it. You know the phrase, what is someone called that keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Check out and learn what you have been doing wrong that finally caught up with you. Find the post in the group about the spreadsheet to help, but understand too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, especially if weights then you are right, it probably is muscle. When all else fails trying measuring or try on clothes that were tight before and see if they are looser. That is a sure fire way to know you are losing even if it isnt showing on the scales. Keep at it, it will happen!!