will you continue to use mfp in maintainence?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think the best game plan to take into maintenance mode and not fall backwards is to constantly have new fitness goals and adventures. I have an event scheduled for each quarter. I completed a mudrun in May. I running a marathon at the end of this month. I doing Kettlework from Oct. 1 thru Nov 25th. I will begin training for my next marathon on Nov. 26 and run the L.A Marathon on Mar. 17. If by some miracle I can get my time down to 3:25. I will compete in the Boston Marathon in April. Rest a few weeks. My second mudrun in May with the hopes of winning it ... I came in 20th out of 2,100 competitors. The goal: Never become inactive. Never become complacent and the weight will NEVER COME BACK.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining since April and continue to log, it is a great tool and is relatively painless thanks to a handy iPhone app. I lost weight before and gained it all back (and some!) so I will continue to do this.
  • happyonetwentyfive
    Options
    As someone just two months into mfp, I haven't really given maintence much thought. I read your blog and it really gave me a heads-up on what to expect after I reach my GW. Thanks!
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YES....the minute I stop logging, and I stop making myself accountable, that is when things start to go down hill. I have been on maintenance almost 2 months. I figured out my basal metabolic rate from MFP based on a sedentary lifestyle....which isn't true, but I wanted to know what is the least amount of calories I can have. That has become my target calories each day and I add back my exercise calories and have not gained a pound since. It is what works for me.
  • FenderGuy
    FenderGuy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a little over a year. I started using a tracker when I started transitioning off my weight loss diet and have use it daily ever since. I started with the Medifast tracker, then switched to MFP about a month ago. To me, daily logging is the only way to succeed. It is part of my daily routine and it's no big deal to me - sort of like I've been doing it forever. I know I will not have long term success if I don't log.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I was here maintaining for nearly a year before I wanted to drop a couple more pounds/lose a couple more inches. I'll probably track calories in/calories out for the rest of my life.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    YES I WILL!!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was maintaining before, I'm logging during my pregnancy, and I plan to hang around after baby.
    I have several fitness goals and plans that have nothing to do with the scale.
  • dbutorac
    Options
    It's tough, I have only gained 1 lb above my original goal weight which I hit last Spring, but I need to keep coming on the site so that I don't gain more back.
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go to even reach my first goal, but I think I will use MFP for maintenance.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'll certainly be logging well into maintenance - even after 9 months I still sometimes enter my food plan for the day and have to adjust it to keep my calories where they should be, so it's not going to be intuitive for quite some time yet. And there is NO way I want to go backwards. I don't want to be logging for ever, so eventually I hope I'll just taper off, but I can see it being quite some time yet.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining since May and had continued logging food and exercise. Just last week I decided not to log food any more as I feel I now have a good understanding of food and calories. I worked out the average calorie intake and just log that average as quick added calories. Time will tell if this works.
    I continue to log my exercise. Basically, I want to maintain my chosen weight range and if I feel its too high I will exercise more or eat less or both. Weighing myself almost daily helps me as I don't trust my mind as I always 'feel' fatter than I am.
    I have a fitbit and this also helps me to keep active and try and achieve over 10,000 steps per day.
    I'm comfortable where I am and never ever want to go back to being overweight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I view MFP logging as an education tool for a long term healthy lifetstyle, not something for me to be permanently reliant on to keep me on track. That attitude is want makes me want to only use it as long as I need to and then (hopefully) use the education to keep myself on track.

This is the way I view tracking. I'm on pace to be on maintenance sometime in the next few months. I'll probably track for quite awhile when learning to maintain. After that initial period I hope to be able to maintain without tracking all the time. I will weigh myself every week. If I start putting on the pounds I'll go back to tracking every day. But ultimately I would like to maintain a given weight range without tracking. It's all one big experiment.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    me to im on here for the long haul.

^^this
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    me to im on here for the long haul.

^^this

+1
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I joined on maintenance. It's a very useful tool, even if you don't need or want to lose weight.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have! I was in maintenance for months and now I'm actually trying to gain weight and still stay on MFP.
    I don't see myself ever stopping, I really like logging my food, knowing what's going into my body every day.
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been here for quite sometime and I have maintained my weight for the last 3 years using this site. There were times I went away for a couple months, but I always come back. I have even lost another 2-3 pounds since I came back 553 days ago, and I have logged in everyday since then. I don't plan on stopping. It works for me so why would I mess with a good thing.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have found this thread!

I've been at maintenance since July 2012. When I started MFP in July 2011, I promised myself I'd stick with it until I reached my goal weight and then do whatever was necessary to keep my weight in check. I don't EVER want to have to lose 45 pounds again!

Ideally, I'd like to not log my food everyday, but I do seem to do better if I track. So be it! It's certainly easy enough and very illuminating.

But I can't imagine not being an MFPer! It's a wonderful community and I've got my pom poms at the ready to congratulate my friends and other MFPers as they reach their health and fitness goals. I've gained so much from the collective wisdom of MFP and I want to try and give back.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I moved into maintenance in mid May and just changed my goals on MFP - I have actually losy a couple more kilos since then so have had to make sure that I balance my days of just over and under so as to maintain weight as I don't want to lose any further weight. Our tendency is to aim for under and avoid overs so now when I go over a bit I don't panic. Logging has become second nature to me so it is no effort and works so well.