Breakfast question...

Options
Hey everyone I have a question when it comes to breakfast I like to go to the gym in the morning(6am) before I go to work so I tend to just get up and make a cup of coffee then go then when I get to work (Starbucks) I make a smoothie

First question- when do you eat breakfast? Before work out or after work out or a combo of the both a little before a little after?

Second question- what do you have when you really just don't like to eat breakfast? I've been debating on buying some protein powder so I can. Make some sort of smoothie at home before just not really sure.

Replies

• lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I go to gym around 7am. Depending how I feel when I wake up I might have a breakfast bar to tide me over the workout so I dont feel sick and then go to work and have porridge or something, otherwise I would just eat my breakfast at work if I can :) Im not a huge breakfast fan until recently now I cant imagine go without it. Im quite boring and stick to the bars, protein bar, porridge or yogurt at breakfast with a peice of fruit as a mid morning snack.
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Its better not to eat or drink anything before you work out in the morning. As you sleep your body uses all the stored carbs in your body. So when you workout in the morning - your body is burning fat instead of carbs. You burn 3x more fat if you workout in the morning. Its best to have water 30min to an hour before your workout to prevent dehydration. if you have to have something to eat i would go for something easily digestible like a half of a banana. As for eating breakfast after your workout i would go with oatmeal (not the packets) or some high fiber cereal. Fiber one makes some delicious cereal with low fat or skim milk. The cereal will make you more full than the bar and will keep you fuller longer. I have cereal every morning after my workout at home. It works for me,i have lost 20 pounds so far. I hope it will work for you but everybody's body is different.
  • queensturg
    Options
    Myself, I can't get through a workout without feeling sick and shaky if I haven't had something to eat first. Even a cereal or protein bar at least a half hour before a workout should keep you going. Some days I don't feel like eating breakfast either, and just have an early lunch instead, but if I work that day I pretty much have to have some breakfast first, or else I'd never make it to my lunch break without starving to death. I tend to go for a bowl of cereal or porridge, usually with some fruit or berries, or sometimes an egg or two if I have more time in the morning.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Its better not to eat or drink anything before you work out in the morning. As you sleep your body uses all the stored carbs in your body. So when you workout in the morning - your body is burning fat instead of carbs. You burn 3x more fat if you workout in the morning. Its best to have water 30min to an hour before your workout to prevent dehydration. if you have to have something to eat i would go for something easily digestible like a half of a banana. As for eating breakfast after your workout i would go with oatmeal (not the packets) or some high fiber cereal. Fiber one makes some delicious cereal with low fat or skim milk. The cereal will make you more full than the bar and will keep you fuller longer. I have cereal every morning after my workout at home. It works for me,i have lost 20 pounds so far. I hope it will work for you but everybody's body is different.
    Nonsense. The difference is minimal and based on the person.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    If I'm working out in the AM then i eat bfast after I get home from the gym.
    As for eating it in general. I love bfast so can't help ya there.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    No need for breakfast if you're not hungry. Daily calories is what matters, not what time you get them in.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    They say the best time to eat your carbs for the day is right after a workout because the body will start using the nutrients immediately to replenish. So after a workout I have an apple and some peanut butter. I work out in the afternoons, though, after work. So I can't really comment on the breakfast thing. However, it is my favorite meal of the day so I never skip it :)
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No need for breakfast if you're not hungry. Daily calories is what matters, not what time you get them in.

I agree that daily calories are what matters, but I disagree that the time you get them in doesn't matter. If you eat a majority of your calories at night because you saved them up throughout the day, your body will not process them as well as if you ate them balanced throughout the day. Like if you only eat 400 combined with breakfast and lunch, then come home and splurge 1000 calories between 6 and 9pm, I think that matters.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I agree that daily calories are what matters, but I disagree that the time you get them in doesn't matter. If you eat a majority of your calories at night because you saved them up throughout the day, your body will not process them as well as if you ate them balanced throughout the day. Like if you only eat 400 combined with breakfast and lunch, then come home and splurge 1000 calories between 6 and 9pm, I think that matters.

Not really. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your body processes calories as it's meant to do regardless of the time of day. The only thing you'd need to worry about what time you eat them is if you have heartburn if you eat just before bed, or something like that.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 every morning and work out before work. I tend to have a large glass of water with a small protein bar. After my workout I mix up my breakfast to go with what type of workout I did. If I do a long cardio, then I replace some of the glycogen with a carb based breakfast like cereal. However, if I do more weights I do a heavier protein based. I find that I can't give workouts my best if I don't eat before hand. My diary is public and feel free to look at it for ideas.

What people can eat or don't eat changes based on the person. I would recommend trying different things and marking in the notes how you felt before and after a workout. That is how I found out what worked for me.

Good Luck.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I think this is widely quoted as the truth, but I don't think it's ever had any good scientific back up. Not that I have seen anyway.

To the OP, I am the same as you really. I get up at 5am and work out on an empty stomach. It's not that I prefer it that way, I just don't have time the rest of the day and I would need to get up in the middle of the night to be able to eat something and give it time to settle in my stomach before exercising.

It works great for me. My work outs are better during the week than on a weekend where I will eat something and work out a few hours later. I make sure I drink a big glass of water while getting ready and drink water as I go along. I asked the question a little while back and the replies were if you feel fine and it works for you then keep doing it.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know this is what we have always been told but I have been reading a lot on this that says otherwise. I don't think it matters when you eat your calories.

Of course there are all other issues with eating late like not being able to sleep or not having the right amount of energy during the day. But for weight loss, I read it doesn't matter.

Anyone have info stating otherwise??

• jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to work out on an empty stomach,but found I didn"t have the energy to sustain me,so now I eat something small,or have a whey protein shake before I work out. Then I eat a better meal after my workout. The whey protein shakes are a good meal replacement in times of a rush,or you can make a smaller amount to replenish yourself after a big workout.Best of luck to you!
  • samlankford
    Options
    I usually work out when I get home from work, depending on what I have planned after work I will sometime work out before... I usually have a shake first thing when I wake up, otherwise I won't have the energy to get through 10 mins of my workout... after I have my shake I try to wait about 10-30 mins before I start working out otherwise I may puke it all back up (insanity,asylum)... I am a die hard shakeology girl every morning... You will find what works well for you, I think some protein powder would be a good idea for you.. healthier to make your own shakes and probably a lot healthier then starbucks...
  • Iceman1800
    Options

nope, zero science that says eating later at night is bad for you. It simply doesn't matter
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually don't work out in the morning but morning or night, I always eat after....I feel sick if I've eaten and then I go work out.

And you could eat a small something for breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, fruit) and then eat a mid morning snack.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am as well.

I have coconut water (light carbs) and whey protein before I work out and breakfast (high protein) after.

The coconut water seems to mix the protein powder better than plain water and have just a bit of carbs helps my work out be a bit more energetic. It is also simple enough that I can deal with it that early in the morning.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after I work out usually within the hour. because I'd feel sick if I worked out after I ate. I usually eat quick cook oats, truvia, and soy milk. Cold, I dont cook the oats they soften in the milk. It's quick easy and filling. most important not like wall paper paste!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I lost over 40 lbs eating small breakfast and lunch, a snack, and a moderate healthy dinner, sometimes with a treat after if my cals allowed. I almost always stayed within my calorie allowance. My family eats dinner late, too, because we try to eat together after all the kids' practices, etc. So I was having dinner around 8 pm most days.

So I am proof that eating at night can work. For me it was easier to plan this way. In the evening, I just logged everything as I ate it, and stopped either when I was full, or when I ran out of calories, whichever came first.
  • cline7310
    cline7310 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i personally can not eat anything before i work out! it upsets my stomach!! So i usually wait till after my workout to eat!! i think it all comes down to your body!!