I'm Sick and Tired of Being 291lbs

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For a college student a love of writing is a good thing. (And I'm about to break a MFP rule...) Try a few paragraph returns to make things easier for your readers. You have many good things to say. And writing down your goals and reasons is a great way to start.

Here are a few quotes to think about:

Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.
    Dale Carnegie

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
    Winston Churchill

and my recent favorite...

Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
    George Edward Woodberry

Courtesy of http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/failure.html#ws00MGyJPRbplRV1.99

What's your next step?

My recommendation is to keep it simple and take small steps. There are a few good paths to take... search for "roadmap" on MFP. You've taken a great first step -- deciding to change. I'd suggest that the best, next step is to become more aware of what you're eating -- record everything. If as a side effect you decide to eat less or differently, that's fine, but to start with, record things honestly, weigh them, count them. Be aware of everything you eat. If you like, read a bit about "mindful eating".

A few references for mindful eating:
    http://www.tcme.org
    http://amihungry.com

Good luck!

(edited some formatting and to clarify that the recommended search for roadmap was within MFP, one that many people recommend is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 )
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One day, one meal, one craving at a time. That's all you need.

I started at 225 lbs and I'm only 5 feet tall.
  • SarahsJourney7
    SarahsJourney7 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow! I did not expect this much feedback. I am honestly grateful for everyone's support!
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    I'm 5'2 haha!
  • BrendaMargaret
    BrendaMargaret Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat as you. I lost motivation fairly quickly and I dropped the ball this last week. But I got Insanity and am going to try my very hardest to get through. The biggest thing I've learned that I haven't dropped is snacking and portions. I used to be the worst with that but I have yet to eat a huge back of chips in one sitting or drink a soda since I started this a couple months back. I'm guessing it just takes time. I'm going to add you on here :) I feel like I can relate to you a lot!
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    I appreciate you and your support girl. You can do this. Take it day by day!
  • Tsetze
    Options
    Welcome back, Sarah. My situation is similar to yours. At 286 pounds, I'd had enough of being obese. I realized that I didn't want to be unhealthy anymore and I had no one to blame except myself. I couldn't stand seeing myself in the mirror - I avoided them like the plague. My blood pressure was 160/102 with pills (and that was on a good day) and I'd also developed type II diabetes and my AC1 test was 11% (which is an indication that your blood sugar is over 300mg/dL); I was a heart attack waiting to happen. I'd tried diets before, I'd lose 20 lbs and gain 25 lbs back. It was very discouraging.

However, on the day that I decided that I had enough of being unhealthy, I finally came to the realization that I could do one of two things. Do nothing and continue on the path of destruction that I was on (sort of like a slow self-induced suicide) or I could take responsibility and change my lifestyle and become the healthy person that I want to be. I chose to take control of my life but I also know that it didn't take me one day to get fat and it's not going to take me just one day to get thin.

I've changed my eating habits (which is actually easier than I initially thought it would be) and I joined a gym that is on my way to and from work (so no excuse that I have to drive out of my way to get there). There are times when I'm impatient and I want to lose faster but then I remember I didn't wake up one morning in a state of fatness...I worked my way to it and I'll work my way to a healthy weight as well.

This site only encouraged me to stick to my guns. When people tell me that they've noticed I'm losing weight, I direct them to this website because it's so awesome. I still have a long way to go but I'll get there.

My last doctor's visit? My BP was 116/62 and my AC1 was 7% (which puts me in the 120-140mg/dL range) -- not quite where I want it but I'm still a work in progress.

Best of luck to you!
  • StephEO
    StephEO Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I loved your post ! I'm 235 pounds right now (5'8) and it's driving me CRAZY ! I'm also a college student (junior) and I am seriously one of the biggest in my classes. Feel free to add me ! You would be amazing motivation!!
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    Tsetze,

Wow! Your story is my inspiration to get to where I want to be. If you can do it I can do it too! Thank GOD your A1C level went down by 4%. That's real determination! and you should be really proud of yourself! Keep up the good work and take it one day at a time! Also make sure your workouts aren't too crazy since your blood pressure tends to get high!

I'm going to friend request you because I want you to keep me informed about your progress! :)
  • banks89202
    Options
    You can do this!!
  • embracingchange35
    Options
    Hi there! You have exactly what it takes to get the job done! Feel free to add me as a friend if you desire:smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The main thing is: if you fail, don't give up! There is an old proverb that says, "Fall down seven times, get up eight." You may fail 888 times, just keep getting back up!
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    Thanks girls! :heart:
  • laurahensley1981
    Options
    Hang in there. This is my first time and I am trying this as well. I wish you the best of luck. If you want to add me you can. We can work on this together.
  • lili89
    lili89 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i started out at 250lb,feel free to add me so we an support each other in this long but very gratifying process :)
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    Will do ladies! Thanks :heart:
  • mlynwyn
    mlynwyn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i was about 200 by 19 and have since then gradually kept it off! You can do this hun!!! Feel free to add me if you need the xtra support or motivation! Your not alone doll ^-^
  • SarahsJourney7
    Options
    Thank you! :heart:
  • ejosborne14
    ejosborne14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I joined 3 days ago, as i was sick and tired of my weight ain through PCOS, I decided to take control and like you am fed up wih how I look etc, I am currently 308lbs before my 1st weigh inandhavea long way to go, so if you need help and supportan jst someone who'll listen please add me :) Well doe on taking contl again
  • trincan12
    Options
    I hear you. You can do it!