Superfood: Cherries

Options
Superfood: Cherries
by Caitlin Covington ·

We’re not talking about the candied red cherries that adorn ice cream sundaes and cocktails (sorry Old Fashioned lovers). Their healthier counterparts found in the produce section can have some serious benefits! Natural cherries are stone fruits, close relatives of plums and peaches, and come in two general varieties: sweet and sour — and both kinds pack a nutritional punch for a small amount of calories. Enjoy one cup of cherries for only 90 calories and a variety of nutrients such as fiber, protein, vitamin A and vitamin C. (Hello, swimsuit season!)

Sweet n’ Sour — Why They’re Super

Antioxidants called anthocyanins give cherries their crimson color, so the richer the hue, the more abundant the benefits (as goes for most fruits and veggies). And this may be a reason for gym-goers to celebrate — some studies show anthocyanins may help aid in muscle recovery after strenuous exercise.

In one study, runners who drank two cups of tart cherry juice before and after a marathon recovered their strength more rapidly than those who didn’t juice-up[1]. Although it hasn’t been shown to improve performance, runners who drank cherry juice also reported less muscle pain after their workouts[2]. Sweet and tart cherries have a natural anti-inflammatory effect that reduces swelling in exhausted muscles, so for workout woes and even regular aches and pains, consider giving cherries a shot before turning to pills[3][4]. To add to the list, the anti-inflammatory effects may also help prevent arthritis, gout, and even diabetes and heart disease. In fact, several studies (on rats) indicated cherry consumption lead to lower blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides (two leading causes of heart disease)[5][6][7].

Cherries may even help improve the time spent between the sheets. (Get that mind out of the gutter — we’re referring to sleep!) These super fruits contain the hormone melatonin, which the body produces naturally to control sleep and wake cycles — although additional melatonin may improve sleep quality. Studies suggest cherry consumption may help people sleep longer, better, and wake up feeling more rested[8]. To boost slumber even more, try Montmorency tart cherries, which have about six times more melatonin than other varieties[9].

A Cherry on Top — Your Action Plan

Cherries have a limited growing season, so take advantage of them in the summer months when they’re in peak condition. At the grocery store or farmer’s market, look for plump, dark red fruits, and for the best taste, look for ones with glossy and unblemished skin. Store them unwashed in the fridge in their original breathable packaging to prevent over-ripening, and they’ll keep for up to five days. And make sure to keep the stems intact — they’ll last longer that way!

The best part about these summer delights? Cherries are wonderful eaten raw — just wash and serve! To remove the pit, use a small paring knife to split the cherry in half, and the hard center can be taken out by hand. Or, of course, just chew the fruit and spit out the seeds (perfect picnic etiquette!). But don’t frown yet — these treats can be enjoyed all year long, too. Just keep a bag in the freezer year round, as frozen cherries retain 100 percent of their nutritional value and make a great addition to smoothies, yogurt, and oatmeal.

Our Favorite Recipes from Around the Web:

Breakfast: Cherry Granola via Choose Cherries
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with Cherry Compote via YumSugar
Post-Workout Snack: Cherry Almond Smoothie via The New York Times
Dinner: Grilled Chicken with Cherries, Shallots, and Arugula via Whole Living
Dessert: Cherries with Ricotta & Toasted Almonds via Eating Well

http://greatist.com/health/superfood-cherries/

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Let me guess......you own a cherry orchard.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I used to really love cherries dipped in Nutella.

That counts, right? :laugh:
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nope! Just love cherries and new they were good for you but didn't realize how good. :-)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cherries :D
    i could survive purely on cherries...this makes me happy :D yay cherries :D x
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of good things about cherries and 100% cherry juice lately, especially for muscle recovery. For me, its definitely preferable to chocolate milk.
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had some amazing cherries this weeked. Soaked in moonshine. Good stuff.