determined to get healthy even with a disability anyone?

Options
:smile: I have been diagnosed with moderate/severe Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. It makes it difficult to even walk some days, yet i push through bc i have 2 lil ones who depend on me. I wanna do my part to make sure that i dont end up bed ridden that i can happily and healthily enjoy my grandchildren one day.. I want to hear any stories where determination trumps disabilities..

Replies

• christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Ericka,

I'm Sue, I'll be 52 in November and I have cerebral palsy. I just restarted my life plan on September 5 and joined MFP on the 14th. MFP seems to be a great place to get the support I know I need. Have 30 pounds to lose by Christmas 2013. Doing a modified ver-
    sion of Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home. I say modified because, to give an example, I have to hang on to my walker while walking
    and do the arms separately. I wish you the best with your lifestyle change and you can friend me if you want to, God Bless you Er-
    icka! Sue
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has fibromyalgia; he's lost 22 lbs on MFP so far and he feels great!

I want to commend you on your determination to persevere in a situation where many people would probably just give up. I know you can do whatever you set your mind to.
  • hippichickiniki
    Options
    Had a triple stroke. I have a physical disability in one of my hands, but the ability issue that really is my hardest when it comes to exercise is the lack of energy I have. Every day I get a tiny fraction of the energy to make it through the day that a normal, healthy person gets. Exercising uses up all of that energy. I struggle to get motivated because of it.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have had an arthritic knee since I was 14 and have kept going till now at 47. The odd way I walk and other accidents over the years have left me with some disability problems, but you just do what you can to work round them.
    Add me if you want some support, I log each day. Anyone else can add me too.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I too have a disability; I have suffered from chronic back pain since 2002. Last year it got so bad that I required emergency back surgery. Thing where fine until I was involved in a car accident 3mos after. Since then things seem to keep doing downhill.

I try to keep the faith and work at saying fit but the pain is getting in the way. So I need to find a solution soon. I too have a 3yrs old to run after and its not the easiest.

I don’t see many of us in here so feel free to add me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I think anyone can do it if they have the right mindset. I've seen numerous people at the gym with missing and/or deformed limbs, using wheelchairs or walkers or people who have severe Down syndrome.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    There is a diet that is effective for most inflammatory problems. It's the Seignalet diet. My mother, her best friend and one of my colleague are on it. There was a book published recentrly in French called "How I defeated pain by nutrition".

Big big summary : cut most cereals( and thus the gluten) and dairy products. Those two food groups seem to be responsible pour most inflammatory reaction. (migraine, asthma, coeliac, arthitis, etc.) A strict diet of 3 months generelly allows to stop the progression of the disease and reduce the pain. Afterward, you can slowly reintroduce some dairy or cereals to see what your tolerance level is.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    There is a diet that is effective for most inflammatory problems. It's the Seignalet diet. My mother, her best friend and one of my colleague are on it. There was a book published recentrly in French called "How I defeated pain by nutrition".

Big big summary : cut most cereals( and thus the gluten) and dairy products. Those two food groups seem to be responsible pour most inflammatory reaction. (migraine, asthma, coeliac, arthitis, etc.) A strict diet of 3 months generelly allows to stop the progression of the disease and reduce the pain. Afterward, you can slowly reintroduce some dairy or cereals to see what your tolerance level is.

Agree, agree, agree!
    Your diet can directly help (or worsen) your condition. If you have Netflix check out the documentary section. There is a lot of information supporting eating clean, organic, non processed foods to help with the pain.

Today can be a challenge, but keep pushing through and stay positive.
  • Dippymint
    Dippymint Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to all of you, it's very difficult when dealing with pain and lack of energy to exercise. One day at a time is all you can do. But if you have the determination it's surprising what you can achieve.

Did you know that hypnotherapy can help where you have pain as you can learn to control it. It won't be for everyone but it might be worth a try.

Dippymint
  • grammiejul
    grammiejul Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. Slowly, over the past year, I've added exercise. I am now working out three times a week. One of those days, I do water aerobics, which really allows more movement and less pain during the workout. I've lost 47 pounds in that time period.

During this same year, I have also mades changes to my diet. I was diagnosed with gluten sensitvity and that change helped with more energy and stamina. Other than that, portion control and removing sugars, all junk food and simple changes like that were made.

Having fibromyalgia makes it slower but hardly impossible. Best to you!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Girl, feel free to friend me... I have suffered with arthritis since my youth and have poly-arthritis and Lupus. I take IV meds to keep me mobile and I am taking this weight off despite all of that and you can too!! I know the pain that you are suffering and would love to support you!

(((hugs)))
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 43, I have been diagnosed with Lupus SLE, avascular necrosis of almost all my joints and chronic ITP (can't regulate platelet count). Having said all that, I am one of the most determined, STUBBORN people you will ever meet and I will NOT be defeated by eithe of those issues or weight! I'm in it to win. Like my son, I consider myself "differently-abled". I will get to my destination I just may have to take an alternative route to get there.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and crohn's disease. I gained 70 pounds on prednisone, and I've lost 30 of that so far. I refuse to allow my health problems define me.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Oh Ya I'm there with you. :ohwell: I have May-Thurner Syndrome, which causes blood clots on the left side. Last year I almost died from a blood clot that went from my left ankle to my left kidney. I had to have stents placed and got infused with clot-busting drugs. My leg is "OK", still swells a little and can hurt some days....... but the scar tissue and who knows what else left my left foot very gimpy. it doesn't lay flat right when I walk and I limp some days. The pain is horrific some days too. It's bad enough that I'm the no-so-proud owner of a handicapped placard. But I, like you, don't use that as an excuse to not take care of myself....... unfortunately the anticoagulant drugs i have to take cause weight gain, BUT I"M FIGHTING IT!!! we are tough girlfriend!!!!! :drinker:
  • Truemoose
    Truemoose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.....

I am a 55 yr old that joined MFP 60 some days ago. I have a damaged spinal chord that has affected my ability to walk. I have severe nerve pain, arthritis, etc.

In my 60 days I have lost 25 pounds and have initiated more exercize. It is never easy, but if I remember to smile it becomes easier. I recently purchased an adult trike (poor balance to ride a regular bike) that helps keep my wife motivated on her goals.

Do what you can and keep pushing that envelope. Good Luck!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Have you tried DDPYoga? Search for that site, also YouTube for DDPYoga Arthur. Very inspiring!

Diamond Dallas Page lives with many injuries, and has created a Yoga routine with very low impact, using only your body weight for resistance.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have a damaged knee (cartilage is badly damaged) that probably will not get better without surgery. I was on crutches and the pain was off the charts around March when I started my journey. The pain these days is around 8/10 days. I have pain standing and walking. Going up stairs is a very slow process indeed.

I started off swimming with ONE leg, because the pain was so bad. When the pain was not as bad, I walked a few steps and bit by bit built up my distance. I bought a pair of Kangoo Jumps 389002_416862621686406_1473200148_n.jpg

which reduces the impact compression on the joints by over 60%. I can't run or jump without them. They give such a fantastic workout too. I was running 5+ miles in 30 minutes 6 times a week up until the last couple of weeks, when I had some sort of flu.

I also use an Aeropilates machine.

I am 48. Since March 31st I have lost 42lb and 88 inches.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in all my joints, from neck to toes in addition to fibromyalgia but I keep trying. Some days I need to take a break. I try to avoid wheat or at least very little as well as sugar, white refine sugar, which seems to have made a difference.

Just keep trying, that is all you can do. It is better to try than not try at all.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In 1995 I suffered a closed head injury to my cerebelum. This is the part of the brain that controls your moror functions. I was hit in the right side of the head so it effects the left side of my body. This injury has effected my balance and coordination severly. That happened 17 years ago and I still have problems. Also in 1998 I Shattered my ankle in a car accident. My ankle crushed like a pop can and is in horrible shape now. I have severe arthritist in it plus it doesn't hardly move.

However I am not ussing either one of these two reasons as an excuse to be out of shape. Infact because of these injuries I am much more muscular than I would have been. I use to be a jock in high school, but I can no longer play sports so I use weights to get in my exercise.