Mio liquid water enhancer

Options

Replies

• ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, I either put crystal light lemon ice tea, powdered green tea or the arizona ice tea powder
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but this is how I intake my alcohol these days. I order a Vodka/Water and squirt a little Mio in there to add the flavor. A yummy way to get a fruity drink when I want to drink.

I occasionally use it in water too, but I love water so I don't have a problem drinking enough of it.

At home I use Mi0, club soda and vodka... 70 cal drinks! WOOT lol
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I looked at it at the store and decided I didn't want to consume all those weird chemicals.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't like the aftertaste so I just put lemon in my water.

^^ this ^^

I bought a couple favors thinking they sounded like they were worth a try and because I knew other people liked them. It tasted nasty to me, no matter what favor I tried. I threw them all away.

A couple weeks later I visited my folks and noticed Mio in the cabinet. Apparently mom loves the stuff and dad thinks it tastes terrible. Maybe I just got his tastebud DNA.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    That is a common misunderstanding MIO has propylene glycol which a common food addititive and is safe, Antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol which is very harmful.

Thank you! I knew the antifreeze rumor was wrong, but couldn't remember what the actual antifreeze was.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I add a drop or two of mint extract or orange extract to my water.
  • dharmabum1974
    dharmabum1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia has ruined a lot of perfectly good foods for a lot of people. Mio is fine, it tastes great, I wouldn't add it to water though, turns out water is a primary ingredient in tsunamis.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Besides the artificial sugars it contains the following: propylene glycol
    Definition
    pro·pyl·ene gly·colNOUN
    1. thick colorless liquid antifreeze: a colorless thick sweet-tasting liquid. Source: propylene. Use: antifreeze in brake fluid, solvent, lubricant. C3H8O2.
    Probably not good to drink!

You know, if this was actually true that MIO had this ingredient (which it is NOT true), I am sure it wouldn't be allowed to be sold. I mean, REALLY? Do you really think they'd allow anti-freeze, which is deadly, to be used in drink mix?
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I get the Great Value (Walmart) brand and love it. I just got a co-worker hooked on it today. While, I don't count it as my daily water intake, it is zero calories and adds some flavor to water.
  • altcry
    altcry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have tried it....seems sweet....Drinking i am finding hard as everything has so many calories, other than water or diet pop.. which who wants to waste on drinking...lol...if anyone has any suggestions for other things to drink other than water with little or no calories please let me know!!!!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You might want to read the ingredients on the MIO. I heard that one of them is the same as antifreeze... or in antifreeze. Was on the news once. I threw mine out right then. Not something I wanted to drink.

One of the main ingredients is propylene glycol. Which can be used as a less toxic form of antifreeze, but is not the same as drinking antifreeze. It is used in a crazy variety of products from oil dispersants to deodorant to food products. It's only toxic if you drink huge quantities.

Sorry -just to clarify: MIO doesn't contain this. (as far as I can tell from looking at 1 flavor) My generic grocery store version of Mio does.
  • Bostoncoffee
    Bostoncoffee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    FYI - propylene glycol

"Humans
    The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans; propylene glycol is metabolized in the human body into pyruvic acid (a normal part of the glucose-metabolism process, readily converted to energy), acetic acid (handled by ethanol-metabolism), lactic acid (a normal acid generally abundant during digestion),[11] and propionaldehyde (a potentially hazardous substance).[12][13][14] Serious toxicity generally occurs only at plasma concentrations over 1 g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.[15] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are usually related to either inappropriate intravenous administration or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[16] The potential for long-term oral toxicity is also low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG in feed over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.[17] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive."

IJS - Decide for yourself.
  • dharmabum1974
    dharmabum1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    PeanutFreeMom should weigh in on this one.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I used the walmart version... I don't do it to all of my water - but when I need a pick-me-up... It definitely helps!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It has sugar in it. I've never used it. If I need to flavor my water I use lemons and limes or the pure lemon stuff.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia has ruined a lot of perfectly good foods for a lot of people. Mio is fine, it tastes great, I wouldn't add it to water though, turns out water is a primary ingredient in tsunamis.

*giggle*
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

*giggle*

Don't forget, it's also in acid rain!
  • sassymermaid
    sassymermaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the Mio everyday. The black cherry energy one is great.... Helps with the water.
  • justmetookie
    justmetookie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Those Mio things give me wicked headaches!! (lol) I now use the Crystal Light Raspberry Green Teas YUM!
    And I dont get headaches anymore. =)

Noticed the Fruit Punch Mio gave me bad headaches now I only use the Sweet Tea and Lemonade. I dont put much though :-)
  • Angkev03
    Angkev03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find out if the ones from aldi and the Dasani ones are bad for you...my 10 year old is drinking water like crazy now and I drink them all day in my water,,,however I am noticing the scale not moving and wondering if they are full of sodium?