starvation mode

Options
I posted yesterday a question about weight loss because yesterday after one week of serious mfp and workouts (3000 calories) i lost nothing at least 0.5 pound and today i'm wondering what if my body has gone in starvation mode?Need to know that after workouts i didn't eat back burned calories.What can I do?

Replies

• CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, we really can't tell you much. I would eat back at least some of your exercise calories - try to net at least 1200 a day. You also may be gaining muscle, which weighs more (when comparing the same VOLUME, thank you nitpickers :P ) than fat. Look at other markers - can you lift more? Are your jeans fitting better? It's not all about the scale.
  • Amb_er100
    Options
    I don't know exaclty ,it's been just one week maybe now eating back burned calories and keeping like this i'm gonna fit better in my clothes i'm only worried about starvation mode
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    If you're worried about starvation mode, then eat more. Like I said, aim to net about 1200 per day, at least. And switch things up, don't let your body get used to an exact routine, so it doesn't think "ok, this is the new normal" and do what it needs to in order to compensate.

I would highly recommend opening your diary, it'll make it much easier to give advice.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I agree! I had about 2k last week and I am stuck at 190. I think I am going to start to take some NO2 or some cutting suppliment to kickstart it again. I do notice clothes fitting way better, but i still have so many problem areas I may need the kick for motivation!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    its been proved that the starvation mode is a myth. we burn calls it defiets the object if you eat them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A week? Give it more weeks! Your weight varies day to day, week to week.

3000 calorie workouts? 3000 for whole week I assume as your diary isn't public. Pound of fat is approx 3500 calories.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    its been proved that the starvation mode is a myth. we burn calls it defiets the object if you eat them.

I'm not sure what the last sentence means? But it is proven that if you consistently net under the calories your body needs in order to function, metabolic function will slow, and so will your weight loss. This is not true "starvtion mode," but it's what people are usually talking about here, when they say it. You will not begin losing muscle mass, until your body fat percentage gets unreasonably low, which is true "starvation mode," but people here are talking about rate of weight loss, more often than not.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much body fat you have. There is no such thing a starving fat people, think about it, that is just plain silly (I don't mean to be derogatory, I was fat once too).

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

It is a myth that you can go into starvation mode when you have fat reserves. Starvation mode happens to you when you have low body fat.
    The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban "The Reverse Taper Diet"