Favorite Milk Alternative?

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    coconut milk all the way!!! love it!!! Not too impressed with almond, but I can drink coconut any day!!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you're using it for bases of things- smoothies, protein shakes, etc., almond milk is great. I use unsweetened vanilla, I don't like the amount of sugar in sweetened varieties. Like others said, it's not that great if you're looking to down a glass by itself, but it's really good mixed in with stuff. At 30 calories for 8 oz., it beats the heck out of regular milk if you're looking to save on calories.
  • amandamaedchen
    Options
    Not eating/drinking something because we're not 'baby mammals' is kind of a funny reason. We eat a lot of things that we really shouldn't be, but are available due to agriculture and technology.

The issue I have with it is that calves need milk because when they are nursing it is the complete source of their nutrition. I don't drink baby formula--do I really need the calories/fat that a growing cow needs? Not if I don't want to look like one :)
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like both the almond and coconut unsweetened milk in my protein shakes.Sometimes I will get a travel size almond milk vanilla flavor for a treat,because it's sweeter than the original and it makes me think I had a treat.:)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm an unsweetened almond milk fan too. I don't drink it by glass ever, but add it to smoothies or put it in cereal on the rare occasion I eat that.

What are you finding you need milk for? Maybe that would help you determine the best type of "milk" for each food? Have you tried making your own almond milk? You might like that better.

I'm also an almond milk fan - 40 calories/cup, but I'm not a milk drinker either. I use it for smoothies and cereal as well.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried almond milk just because it sounds gross and I don;t want to buy a whole carton and not drink it ha. But, I have been drinking lite vanilla soy milk lately and it is really good. I made my oatmeal with it this morning and it was delicious!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm an unsweetened almond milk fan too. I don't drink it by glass ever, but add it to smoothies or put it in cereal on the rare occasion I eat that.

What are you finding you need milk for? Maybe that would help you determine the best type of "milk" for each food? Have you tried making your own almond milk? You might like that better.

I'm also an almond milk fan - 40 calories/cup, but I'm not a milk drinker either. I use it for smoothies and cereal as well.

I just need it for the calcium. I am lactose intolerant so yogurt, cheese, milk, butter, and any other dairy byproduct is out of the question for me. But if you are adding it to smoothies and cereal, why not just add water? The only reason you are putting it in there is to make things wet/tolerable; so if calories (energy) is a concern, why not just skip the nutrition at all and put water in there?
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do unsweetened vanilla almond milk and :heart: it so hard.

^^^ I agree .. 30 cals and only 1g carbs for the win!
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Another vote for coconut milk here. (also the coconut milk ice cream is awesome).
  • CrimsonDiva93
    CrimsonDiva93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like Almond milk sweetened vanilla flavored.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

The issue I have with it is that calves need milk because when they are nursing it is the complete source of their nutrition. I don't drink baby formula--do I really need the calories/fat that a growing cow needs? Not if I don't want to look like one :)

Yes. Obviously your diet doesn't consist of only milk.

Milk is a great way to get protein/fat/carbs in a near-perfect ratio.

Better yet, it's cheap.

Anyway, I like blue diamond almond milk. I think it just works better when mixed with things. Like protein shakes.
    Unsweetened, of course.
  • EmpressHollie
    EmpressHollie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Milk (sweetened) i dont even drink regular milk anymore.... YUM YUM!
  • jstcallmecoco
    Options
    you would be suprised by how great the generic/store brands are. i like shoprite's soy milk it is perfect. If you really must have milk just tone it down a bit, don't drink as much. 2% or skim, definitely not whole!! good luck! once you convert to soy, you won't want cow milk anymore (at least that's what happened to me).
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I just need it for the calcium. I am lactose intolerant so yogurt, cheese, milk, butter, and any other dairy byproduct is out of the question for me. But if you are adding it to smoothies and cereal, why not just add water? The only reason you are putting it in there is to make things wet/tolerable; so if calories (energy) is a concern, why not just skip the nutrition at all and put water in there?

Dairy is actually not a great source of calcium, do a google search for foods that are high in calcium and look into supplements.