Goal weight for 5' female?

Options
Hi! I am a 5' female (40 yo, if that matters) and I am trying to figure out what would be a good goal weight for me. I started at 196.5, and have currently lost 64-65 pounds. That puts me at 132-133, and a size 10 (ish). My original goal weight was 130, but that was just a guess from a gal who never thought she would succeed. I always thought I would need to change the goal once I got closer.

So I have a couple of questions:

Is it better to change my goal now, or should I wait until I have hit my original goal of 130? What is the psychological impact of moving the finish line before I cross it?

What should my goal weight be? I have a medium build for a short person, and I have always had some curves (even at my high school weight of 95.)

I am thinking of shooting for 110. I would love to be a size 6 again. Any thoughts?

Replies

• CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would let your ladybug ticker cross the finish line before before I move the goal line! :bigsmile:

As for a new goal number I would just drop it down 10 more pounds and see how you feel in your skin/clothes. Congrats on the weight loss! I am going to be 40 next March and hope to get down to the 140's by then.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5' tall! I started at 156-157 and my goal weight is to be 120 again. I really want to fit into my size 5 clothes! lol

I agree with the previous poster. Accomplish your original goal first. That will give you a sense of accomplishment (well deserved, I might add!) and then you can determine a second goal to get you to where you ultimately want to be. It may be that your second goal won't be "weight" related. It may be that your body fat % meets a certain goal and you fit in your size 6 clothes like you want. :smile:

Great job so far!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am 41 years old and 5'2". I currently have my goal weight set a little higher - 135 because while I would love be weigh less, I haven't weighed this little since I got married 10 years ago. This is at the upper limit of "normal" for a person of our height, so I hope to go lower still. I still have 45 pounds go, so would ideally like to drop it to about 120 once I reach 135. I think I will just do what an earlier post recommended and see how I look and feel once I get there.

Congrats on being so close - you give me hope!!
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yay for shorties!!! :D I'm 5' as well. I started out at 130, and as of today, I've lost almost 5 pounds! Woohooo! As much as my goal weight is 110-115, I'd still take every 5 pounds as a success. Just feel what feels comfortable in your skin! :) Congratulations!!!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    5' here. Started at 186lbs and goal is 120lbs.
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    I'm 5'1 here and I started at 165. I now weigh 141 and have a first goal of 135, second goal 130 then ultimate goal of 125.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I am a smidgen over 5` and 40 also. My goal weight is between 120-125 (like to give myself some breathing room. I am sitting at 123 right now. :)
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft tall and I set my goal weight as 110 purely by guessing :) Like the others said, get to your original goal and see how you feel then go from there.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    generally, once you get into that healthy range, I make all my clients base their goals on body fat % and performance (I let them use clothing sizes or measurements as well, but I usually de-emphasize this as that's very specific to the individual).

If I were your trainer, I'd have your body fat % done and shoot for a goal of between 16 and 20% for a female. That's usually a very good range to be in.

Remember, total weight is not a good measurement of individual health. You can have 2 people, same age, same measurements, same height, and be 25 or 30 lbs different, and looking at them with clothes on you would never know. Looking at them in their skivvies and you'd be able to tell because with all the other factors being the same, the only difference can be how much lean mass and body fat they have.
  • katwal87
    katwal87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and started at 133lbs, currently 126lbs, aiming for 118-119lbs :)
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I want to be 115 pounds, that sounds really low but will make me a size 6-8 because I have a big booty no matter what the number on the scale is.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'1" & my original goal was 126lbs (9st) & currenlty have 3.2lbs to go to get there, but have recently decided that 119lbs (8.1/2st) is where I would really like to be, although I'm quite broad across the shoulders so not sure I'll get that low, but happy to try. Improving my body shape so I'm a very comfortable size 12 is my main goal, trousers (depending where I shop) I'm there, but shirts are still a 14 but just a bit more work & I'll be there, then if the scales want to join the party, all the better! If I get to a size 10 (ha) serious celebrations - don't think I've been that since the age of 11!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm 5.2" and have my goal set to about 120-115 as I know from 3 years ago that made me a UK size 8 and would love to be there again :-)

As for whether or not to move the goal posts now or to wait ... in my personal opinion, if it was me, I would do it now because I feel that it would keep up my motivation to keep going to get to the lower weight (obviously still have a little celebration when you get to your current goal weight hehe, look at it is a mini goal)

Hope this helps :-)