Decided I like cool weather running!

Options
Was 38 degrees for my run this morning and it felt great! Not sure how it'll be once it gets colder, but I'm anxious to find out! :)

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's AMAZING right?! Under 60 degrees and I can run forever. Must be the Viking blood. Nice job!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will have to agree with that. 34 degrees at 3:45 this morning and I was in Heaven!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I was cycling in the rain today..it was really refreshing!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You and me both! I started running last winter (I'm in central California, so winter for me is nothing like what some of you get, but it still gets cold, down to freezing sometimes :tongue:), and remember thinking how nice it will be when summer gets here and I don't have to dress for the cold.

In August we had the most days over 100º ever, and September hasn't been much cooler. I've been running at sunrise just to beat the heat, as I discovered earlier in the summer that going at 7 or 8am doesn't work for me - too dang hot! The cool (70º - sheesh!) of running at dawn has helped a ton, but I honestly can't wait for fall to finally get here and give me some cooler temps to run in again!

I ditched my 10k training during the summer because I found I was loathing it due to the heat. Might pick it up again once the weather changes and see if I do better with it.

I loved running in the rain last spring too! Just have to watch out for slippy mud on my usual path!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    LOVE cooler weather running. No sweating like you're going to die and for some reason I love wearing my running leggings wayyyyy more than running shorts. I'd rather run 5 miles in 40-ish degrees than 2 miles in 80-degree weather.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Shut your faces with this cooler weather talk. The high today is 92 degrees. :sad:
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep - I agree, the cooler weather is just great to run in... I started running last winter, but ran pretty-much indoors, which was bad on the hips (all of those left turns!). I ran an extra 3Km yesterday, just because I didn't want to stop! I confess that I'm not a fan of hot weather running.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ran the other morning when it was 45* -- lesson learned, I dressed TOO warm. Tomorrow will be just a tshirt, windbreaker and shorts.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner runner and had my best run ever today. I'm thinking it was the cooler weather!
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    I agree! For once I can run outside right after work instead of on the TM. It's beautiful outside today!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My favorite temp is around 50. . .cool but not cold. Warm but not hot. 25 is about my lowest comfortable temp. And above 80 I get seriously bummed out. Hoping this winter is at least mild temperature wise. Probably need a bit more precipitation than we got last year, but it was a great winter for running in NE Ohio!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I too had my best run yet this morning. I completed week 4 day 1 of C25K and it was 45 degrees F. I felt incredible! I wonder if it's because my legs and lungs were numb?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Shut your faces with this cooler weather talk. The high today is 92 degrees. :sad:
    I'm with you! We hit 100º yesterday and are in the 90s all this week. :grumble:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    39 this morning.

I usually shut it down when it gets cold enough for ice though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors all year 'round up here in the frozen tundra and my least favourite time is summer (we go to extremes - in summer it's very hot & humid and in winter it will get down to -35°C in January & February but you can always add a layer). I love it in the autumn when things start to cool down, it was about 9°C - about 50°F yesterday for the Army Run.....perfect temperature.
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too can't wait until Fall actually gets to Mississippi!

Supposed to be cooler today then the rest of the week (upper 80's) but I'm ready
    for some 60's or even 50's as a high temp!

Course I'm not sure if I'll feel like I'm getting a good workout if I don't sweat
    like a PIG! Lol!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! We hit 100º yesterday and are in the 90s all this week. :grumble:

As much as I hate running in hot weather, I'd gladly trade weather. I hate the cold (other than for running). Means winter is coming :sad: i HATE winter And snow. And it getting dark at 5pm. Still hoping I can land a job in the South Carolina or California area before I die....
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Why do you think they schedule all the major marathons in September/October? I've been told the optimum long distance temp is mid-50s (10-15 Celsius)
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I really prefer running out side when its chilly than in the heat....I find that I can run for longer and I mentally enjoy it much more!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wait until your first run in the snow. That can be pretty magical. Everything gets so quiet that you can really hear your own breathing and get into a good rhythm (I run without music....crazy, I know)