women's clothing sizes...sheesh!

Options
i had a picture of this to post, but i can't figure out to do it, so i'll just write it out (any pointers on posting photos, by the way would be greatly appreciated!)

i bought two pairs of size 14 jeans today (whoo-hoo!) - one pair fits and the other does not, but should soon. that got me thinking about how much difference there were between the two 14's, and then i started thinking about my other jeans, sized 16 and 18. i laid out four pairs to see the difference in the waist band, and their order from largest to smallest is as follows: size 16, size 18, size 14, size 16.

what the h-e-double-hockey-stick?

why is an 18 smaller than a 16? and why is a 16 smaller than a 14? who is in charge of this joint?!

anyhoo, i'm happy to report that i am in a new pair of 14's, my 18's still fit rather nicely, my 16's are too large, except for the second pair of 16's, which i am still working to get into since they are about the same size as the 14's i can't wear yet. drives me crazy!

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Your lucky i'm in the low 160's and i wear a 14. I still like pants with stretch.
  • december1303
    Options
    Doesn't that just make you mad!? I completely understand. Are they different brands?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate? Women's sizes are in numbers instead of like men's according to waist measurement. It would be so much simpler to say, hey my waist is a 30, so I'll go grab those jeans, instead of, well I'll grab sizes 6-12 because I don't know how they will fit. Well, I say that, but I'm sure that if it were in waist measurements it would be ambiguous too :p

They want to confuse us!! :laugh:
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    different brands have different ways of measuring the sizes. For instance in torrid jeans I wear a size 22, jeans from walmart I wear a size 18.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have been in size 12 riders jeans for a while now but my goal for the last month and a half was to get into my old size 12 faded glorys, which is almost the same size as the riders 10's but those would still be a tad tight

I'm happy to say that I put on my faded glory 12's and they fit like a glove. I have a feeling that soon I will be needing to look for new jeans, much to the dismay of my hubby, lol. (he doesn't like spending money)
  • cwhiteley
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration...on one specific day I bought three pairs of pants in three different sizes from three different stores and they all fit me....size 8 JCREW, size 11 at Forever 21 and Size 9 somewhere else....so annoying...but congrats on your achievement!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    See when one company pays workers in Mexico to make them, and another company pays workers in China to make them, and another company pays children in Pakistan to make them they don't compare notes..:noway: Actually it may just be someone switching labels at the factory to mess with people...:laugh: Congrats on getting into "smaller" jeans, and good luck getting into the "larger" ones....or was it "smaller" ones again. Hell I'm lost, but then again I'm a guy so it's not really unexpected...:tongue:
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    It is annoying. I have 2 pairs of Levi's, both 515 sz 8 short. One fits perfectly the other is too darn tight. Same brand and even same cut and they still can't get it right.
  • georgia_ann40
    georgia_ann40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is annoying. I have 2 pairs of Levi's, both 515 sz 8 short. One fits perfectly the other is too darn tight. Same brand and even same cut and they still can't get it right.

I so agree!! I have had this same problem too! Same exact pair of pants, brand, style, etc.. one fits great. The other, can't breathe!
    Always amazed at how many different sizes of clothes are in my closet. I am learning to not really look at the sizes, but to enjoy the cut, style, and how the garment fits ME.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    It is so annoying! It all depends on the brand and how they are cut. Some ar slimmer in the hips and thighs, some sit at or below the waist ect...ect.. I can wea a 10-12 depending on the brand and how they are made
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I so agree!! I have had this same problem too! Same exact pair of pants, brand, style, etc.. one fits great. The other, can't breathe!
    Always amazed at how many different sizes of clothes are in my closet. I am learning to not really look at the sizes, but to enjoy the cut, style, and how the garment fits ME.

I noticed this at Lane Bryant once...I had the same cut, same size, everything...but one was a light wash and the other was a dark wash. The lighter color fit, but the darker wash I couldn't get up my thighs! The sales person said it was because the dye in the darker wash shrinks them a bit. Not sure how true that is though...sort of makes sense.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I HATE sizing! I have a ton of jeans/pants from 10 years ago and the sizes are SO different from today. I bought a pair of 10's at the store recently and I can't keep them up. I also bought a pair of 8 slacks that fit perfectly....Apparently clothes were smaller 10 years ago because in my old clothes...10 jeans are snug and I have like an inch gap that I can't close on my size 8 slacks.

A friend and I also noticed that Old Navy sizes things very generously...we call it vanity sizing. Whatever size I am at a regular store I'm a size smaller at Old Navy

Shouldn't there be some sort of universal size chart???????????????