Way to start running!

Options
I have always hated to run but envied those who love it. My husband is an avid runner and I have always wanted to run with him, but of course could never keep up and usually the whole thing ended with me in a bad mood. However, I have a new goal to run in a 5K! There is a Komen race in my area coming up, so I have decided to start training. I went to iTunes and searching for running music, and ended up finding a FREE podcast that helps train you for a 5K in 8 weeks! I was so excited. I have been using it and LOVE IT!! I just wanted to share this with you all in case you are looking to start something like this too. I am really hoping I can build up to running 3 miles straight--it will be truly amazing and a very big achievement for me!!

Oh, they have a website if you are interested. www.5k101.com.

243549.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• georgia_ann40
    georgia_ann40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I too have always wanted to run... I am an avid walker but seem to have breathing problems when trying to run. Would also love to RUN a 5k. A friend and I use to always do a 10k walk every year. So a new goal may have to be set! Good luck and thanks again!!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I have always hated to run but envied those who love it. My husband is an avid runner and I have always wanted to run with him, but of course could never keep up and usually the whole thing ended with me in a bad mood. However, I have a new goal to run in a 5K! There is a Komen race in my area coming up, so I have decided to start training. I went to iTunes and searching for running music, and ended up finding a FREE podcast that helps train you for a 5K in 8 weeks! I was so excited. I have been using it and LOVE IT!! I just wanted to share this with you all in case you are looking to start something like this too. I am really hoping I can build up to running 3 miles straight--it will be truly amazing and a very big achievement for me!!

Oh, they have a website if you are interested. www.5k101.com.

243549.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

The link wouldnt work...
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I would also love to run a 5k too but i will not start running in till it get a lot warmer and less ice's. Then I hope I can stick to it.
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Thats exactly how i got into running! I just recently got into it but its really working. I've gotten so much more motivated for the marathons that i've signed up for (1 5k, and 3 marathons this year) so good luck with it. I hope it helps you too. :)
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I used to run... 25 years ago. But right now running seems a long way off. However, last week I discovered a website that also takes you to a 5K in 2 months. Here is the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The workout is called C25K (Couch to 5K). I saw it quite a bit, and looked it up, wondering what it was. I figured it was something similar to P90X. I was surprised to see how it goes about getting one ready to run a 5K. My wife and I are planning on starting it in the near future.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Love the cool runnings C25K - they also have a downloadable podcast. Not that I've ever tried it :laugh: Little slow in the tech stuff. I plan to start the C25K the first week of March - I'll be tracking it on my Spring Challenge thread if anyone is interested in joining in on that :flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I compared C25K and 5K101 and decided C25K was the less aggressive, more doable version (and it's only 1 week longer).

I'm on week 9 of it now which means I can run for over 30 minutes straight at this point (though I do NOT run 5K in 30 minutes yet -- endurance first, speed 2nd).

When I started at the end of last November I honestly couldn't run for more than 45 seconds at a time -- it seemed impossible. Now running 2.5 miles is almost *easy.* It's kind of bizarre. Getting to this point wasn't easy and I imagine getting past this point won't be easy either. I had to repeat a couple weeks. The main thing I think I had to realize is that it's okay for me to be uncomfortable -- that's the only way I'm pushing myself and improving is to get out of my comfort zone.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I compared C25K and 5K101 and decided C25K was the less aggressive, more doable version (and it's only 1 week longer).

I'm on week 9 of it now which means I can run for over 30 minutes straight at this point (though I do NOT run 5K in 30 minutes yet -- endurance first, speed 2nd).

When I started at the end of last November I honestly couldn't run for more than 45 seconds at a time -- it seemed impossible. Now running 2.5 miles is almost *easy.* It's kind of bizarre. Getting to this point wasn't easy and I imagine getting past this point won't be easy either. I had to repeat a couple weeks. The main thing I think I had to realize is that it's okay for me to be uncomfortable -- that's the only way I'm pushing myself and improving is to get out of my comfort zone.

That was the hardest thing for me last year when I started the C25K - just because I felt like I was going to die didn't mean I WAS going to die :laugh: I am going to complete it this year! Then I want to move on the the next one they have that takes you to a 10K. Probably not until I can actually run the 5K in 30 minutes though and I think I will have to work on that for a month or so after I finish the program. Good job on making it through - I'm looking forward to the day that running 2.5 miles seems *almost easy* :flowerforyou:
  • mromnek
    Options

I agree with the endurance vs. speed comment myself. I am starting from a point where everything I do is about stamina rather than performance. I look sometimes at people burning 9 gazzillion calories during their workout and think, I sure am being a wuss!!! But then I think about the fact that I am trying to build up my aerobic endurance to be able to push the calories.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I. I look sometimes at people burning 9 gazzillion calories during their workout and think, I sure am being a wuss!!! But then I think about the fact that I am trying to build up my aerobic endurance to be able to push the calories.

Beleive me, when you're our size running does in fact burn gazzillions of calories.

I'm up to running for 51 minutes. On days that I run it is impossible to eat my excersise calories.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yep - I agree with Iplay. A gazillion calories, indeed. I can easily burn 600 calories in 30 minutes running. Add in a 10 minutes of warm up & cool down & 5 minutes of stretching and that number just keeps growing. I also bike on run days. I'd have to more than DOUBLE my food intake on those days to eat all my exercise calories. :laugh: It's simply not going to happen. Imagine what I burned when I weighed 50 pounds more.

I'm pretty short, so I always feel like a turtle running. 6.0mph is essentially a full-on sprint for me. I'll be exceedingly happy to be running 12 minute miles. I just keep reminding myself it doesn't really matter how fast I'm going -- I'm keeping my heart rate WAY UP (over 180bpm) for over 30 minutes and that's an awesome thing. My resting heart rate has gone from high 80s to around 60bpm because of that.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Yep - I agree with Iplay. A gazillion calories, indeed. I can easily burn 600 calories in 30 minutes running. Add in a 10 minutes of warm up & cool down & 5 minutes of stretching and that number just keeps growing. I also bike on run days. I'd have to more than DOUBLE my food intake on those days to eat all my exercise calories. :laugh: It's simply not going to happen. Imagine what I burned when I weighed 50 pounds more.

I'm pretty short, so I always feel like a turtle running. 6.0mph is essentially a full-on sprint for me. I'll be exceedingly happy to be running 12 minute miles. I just keep reminding myself it doesn't really matter how fast I'm going -- I'm keeping my heart rate WAY UP (over 180bpm) for over 30 minutes and that's an awesome thing. My resting heart rate has gone from high 80s to around 60bpm because of that.

Wow! That's amazing! Your heart will thank you with extra years :flowerforyou:

You guys make me itch to start - that's a good thing. Hopefully that itch will last. Last time I tried running in the shoes I have I started getting (I think) that plantar thingy I can't spell. :laugh: Facitiis - whatever. I had a spot in the middle of my foot that started hurting when I exercised then got worse, then I could hardly get out of bed and walk in the a.m. So, I'm NOT going to start until I get new shoes. But I'm getting excited!
  • mromnek
    Options
    You are all an inspiration!!! As my weight keeps coming off, my feet will better be able to handle the abuse from running.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k I hear is the best. Especially for a newbie. I hate that a 5k is a FAST race. I was thinking of doing the race for the cure myself, but it falls a week after my marathon....which will be my first a way larger distance yes but milestones are what were about