Just bought a FITBIT

Options
I'm soooo excited.... I know strange. But I keep reading about them and most people really seem to love theirs. Any helpful tips and ideas? What should I be careful about? I can't wait until it gets here.

Replies

• heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    what is it? I'm at work and most webpages blocked!!
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    You order the new one the "one" or the old "Ultra"

Best advice don't wash it.

Anyway congrats it will change your behavior.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's totally addictive! I started walking more. Then said hell with that - I'll run. I'm now registered for 3 5K races and an 8K!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    what is it? I'm at work and most webpages blocked!!

It's a fancy pedometer.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Do not put it in a washing machine, do not ask how I know ;>)
  • klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well --- you shouldn't wash it... but I washed my boyfriends and it still works! They also have awesome customer service so if you have ANY issues send them an email. I've had 3 fitbits and the ppl who work there are so helpful! Also it integrates with mfp which I LOVE!
  • Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    About a week into using mine and love it so far. Still haven't adjusted to being able to eat so many more calories now that it counts EVERY step I take during the day.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If it is an Ultra, it is NOT waterproof or sweatproof. Use the clip. Ive killed 2 already.
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wear it away from your skin when you exercise. They are sensitive to sweat!! Go figure!
  • TishaSynar
    Options
    Been looking for a good pedimeter. Please keep me posted on how you like it and good luck!!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    its basically just a pedometer. i havent even used mine since i bought a HRM which by the way was cheaper than the fitbit.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great purchase! I have one, as does my wife and my BFF! (Not that my wife isn't also my BFF, but that's too much for this post!) Anyway....

I wear it all the time and am amazed at how little I used to walk and how easy it is to walk 10k steps in a day once you try (my goal). Look at the user guide for how to track sleep efficiency - that's perhaps the most interesting metric I've found so far. I knew I woke up at least once/night - but the fitbit tracks EVERY time. I was amazed at my results...

Good luck to you! I echo earlier comments - do not wash it, or jump into your pool with it on. Just sayin' That was a $100 "cannonball" for me! :-)

- Severin
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Do not put it in a washing machine, do not ask how I know ;>)

however if you DO wash it, fitbit will replace it for you. i found this one out first hand.
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MINE!!! Have increased my steps so so so much. I average 20,000 a day now. I pay for the Premium which I think is well worth it - I think it is like $49 a year. I am able to have all my info in Excel and lots of other reports.

I don't use the clip that it comes with. I lost my fitbit 2 times within 24 hours. I use a small ponytail holder and loop it through my bra strap and I don't worry about it at all.

Enjoy!!!!
  • celticelff
    Options
    Exactly- don't wash it!!
    I love my FitBit Ultra, it's on me nearly 24x7. I'm detail-oriented, so the charts really give me something to analyze. Sync your Fitbit to MyFitnessPal, and make sure you enter *all* your data into MFP. The only data I enter twice is my weight/BMI.

Have fun with it and challenge yourself :)
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It really encouraged me to get out and walk more. I used to drive everywhere and since I've owned mine, I always walk when I can - granted it has been summer, I may not stick with this over the winter!

If you use MFP, make sure you link the accounts. Log all your food on MFP (the database has way more foods) and log all your exercise in Fitbit. MFP queries fitbit to find out how many calories FB thinks you have burned then awards you bonus calories appropriately.

I have my MFP set to sedentary because I am basically office bound all day. Just recently though, I have been working on a project which has involved me getting out and walking around site a lot. Fitbit is tracking all my walking (I just hit the 500 mile point today) and MFP is awarding me loads of extra calories (630 today!).

If you sign up for the premium account (its not massively expensive) you can also set activity goals and it will encourage you to increase your exercise over a 12 week period to meet the goal. Well worth doing.

I loved mine so much, I also bought the Aria scales. I just wish these would integrate with MFP too - there is talk that they will, but no timescales at present.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary on here and fitbit fills in the blanks depending on how active I've been. Even on days where I've been sick and was a total slug fitbit added extra calories because I had burned more than MFP thought I would for the day. It takes some time to play around with it all, took me about 2 weeks, but I adore mine! I have lost a pound every week since getting it figured out.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the wash 2 weeks ago by accident, still works fine, lol

:flowerforyou:
  • AlyMoniz
    AlyMoniz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it's fantastic! i've had mine for 4 months now and I love it. It measures the your activity for the day (steps, miles you've walked, stairs you've clime, ect) and measures the quality of sleep. it's more then just a standard pedometer. I would highly recommend getting one if your interested; it's a great investment and completely changes your mind frame in regards to working out.
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You will love it!!! It has made a huge change in my life. Just don't get discouraged when you start seeing fitbit calorie adjustments. They go up and down depending on your exercise log and food log.