Would you do this at work?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sadly, a lot of businesses have to cut costs, which may include letting the cleaners go!

should you quit your job, my answer would be no unless you have another one lined up.

My answer would be to talk to your boss and ask them to make up the cleaning rota in a fair way.

If the other workers don`t do it then take the problem to your boss and ask them to reinforce the rota.

Your boss could always suggest that all the workers club together to pay for a cleaner, then this may make them think a little??
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'd probably keep cleaning it myself if you can't get anyone else to help. I HATE public bathrooms anyway and I want one that I'm going to use to be clean. HOWEVER, I would tell my boss that I'm taking off 1/2 hour earlier so I could change my clothes, wear an apron or something and clean up the filth then change back into my clothes or whatever else to commute home in. If the boss doesn't like it, I think I'd quit. I'd also ask to be paid for it. lol
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful to have a job. And I keep a clean house. But you would not find me cleaning the bathroom at work because my employer didn't feel like paying a cleaning service.

Clean whatever you feel comfortable cleaning. Leave the rest. Wait till it comes up in a formal review, and if it does, oh boy.

Love this! Like you I am
    grateful....I just dont want to be taken advantage of.
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get the f* out of there. Your boss is an idiot to have you doing work he didn't hire you for, and it shows he's a not a good business person. Or, if the staff has time for this, then there are too many people in the office in the first place, which also means he's an idiot, since he could probably hire a cleaning crew for a lot less cost than the wasted productivity he's paying for you and your colleagues to do it. (Please tell me you don't do this after hours on your own time, staying late, etc. If you are, you need to stop. Immediately.)

Totally agree with the statement above!!! Get out of there, you should NOT be doing the cleaning!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ughm No! I would not clean the bathrooms!!! Forget that hire a freaking cleaning person! That is not what I am getting paid to do!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No I would not do it. I would find another job.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I guess you could just play on mfp while they work ;)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful to have a job. And I keep a clean house. But you would not find me cleaning the bathroom at work because my employer didn't feel like paying a cleaning service.

Clean whatever you feel comfortable cleaning. Leave the rest. Wait till it comes up in a formal review, and if it does, oh boy.

Love this! Like you I am
    grateful....I just dont want to be taken advantage of.

Remember, people will get away with whatever they can and if it's working for them (the place gets cleaned), then you have to speak up and say it's not working for you.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So let me guess, you do all the cleaning at work and then come home and do most of the cleaning? WTH, girl I wouldn't do that! Your boss needs to stop being so "cheap" and hire someone to clean. It wouldn't have to be every day either.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with you and your co-workers having to do the cleaning but some employers simply can't afford it. I work for a non-profit agency and we do exactly the same as what you guys are doing. However, My supervisor made a cleaning log (She's on it too) and we rotate cleaning duites and we sign off on it, so that ONE person doesn't end up doing it all.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to be in some way specially trained/authorized to clean bathrooms because of diseases and feces? Or at the very least you legally have to be provided with proper equipment which it doesn't seem like you have.

Ha ha. no.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love the militancy but the OP is in South Dakota and this is directly from the SD Dept of Labour's website:

"Although there are some excpetions, employment relationships in South Dakota may be 'terminated at will,' which means an employer does not need a specific reason to fire an employee." (including the spelling mistake :laugh: )

BTW does anyone really "work" for the Federal government? Certainly not in Canada! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • runnermama81
    Options
    should you quit your job, my answer would be no unless you have another one lined up.

[/quote]

I wouldn't quit on a whim.....I would line up something. Maybe my question should've been should I look.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    im just going to be the odd duck and say it...why can't you clean up after yourselves? i work in an office where we don't have a cleaning service. we clean up after ourselves. we have a public restroom, we keep it clean. the boss man helps clean, everyone cleans up. if you clean as the day goes along...then there isn't so much to do at the end of the day. times are tough, i'd make it work unless you can line up another job that doesn't require "dirty work".
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    I'm in a similar position at work in that no-one cleans (and we have animals around a lot so it gets pongy!). But it's just one small room, not the kitchen, bathroom etc. I clean a bit once in a blue moon (they've having me in the office as a favour, so it's a bit of giving back and I don't mind) but mostly I just open windows to get fresh air and not fixate about it.

One thought though is depending on your ambition, five years is quite a while in the same job. If you want to learn new skills, be better paid, get a better looking CV, I'd be looking around to see what's there. Yes it's a very tough job market but you're obviously experienced and diligent. See what you can see and jump to pastures new if you can...

Otherwise, I would do the minimum of cleaning and try to ignore the filth as much as possible.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Heck no.
    Unless they're going to pay me extra.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I guess if my other work is done then I have no problem cleaning (and I'm not hourly and typically have no problem hitting over 50 hrs per week.) I would also expect that because I have picked up this "extra" (read outside of job description) task that if there was something that I needed that my boss would move mountains to help.
  • runnermama81
    Options
    im just going to be the odd duck and say it...why can't you clean up after yourselves? i work in an office where we don't have a cleaning service. we clean up after ourselves. we have a public restroom, we keep it clean. the boss man helps clean, everyone cleans up. if you clean as the day goes along...then there isn't so much to do at the end of the day. times are tough, i'd make it work unless you can line up another job that doesn't require "dirty work".

I dont mind cleaning up after myself. Its cleaning up after other adults who get paid the same amount I do that I have a problem with.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just quit
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have worked in the same office for five years and in the same field for almost ten. My boss refuses to hire someone to clean the place. She figures we can clean it on our own. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind doing some of it.....(like wiping off counters and dusting products). The problem is we are supposed to clean the bathroom and wash the windows in our dress clothes. The even bigger problem is most of the people in the office just wont do it, but I cant stand to work in filth so I do it. So heres my question, should I quit cleaning? Should I quit my job? Should I just quit caring that no one else seems to care?

I work for the federal government, in our world...everything is driven by a position description. If it ain't in the PD, then some people won't do it and they can't be held accountable for it. That being said, as a supervisor, I look at "above and beyond" what is assigned and at performance...amongst other things of course. Hopefully, your boss/supervisor, recognizes your efforts...don't be afraid, come evaluation/bonus time, to throw that in their face and say you should be getting a little bigger piece of that bonus pie.

This is true... My boss just told me she is putting me in for a QSI for all the things I do above my PD... I am just biding my time so I can get her job LOL.