Calorie Burn problems

Options
I have been on MFP since January 2012 and have been successful losing 47 pounds of the 75 I wish to lose. I eat healthy, exercise regularly. I am at a point where my calorie burn that use to be 800+ during a workout is down to a 400-500 burn. I have added exercises and time and I still can't get that 800 or more burn. Consequently, my weight loss is at a standstill. I use an HRM that is very accurate. I can't jog or run due to bad knees, so I walk as fast as I can on a treadmill with a speed of 4.0. Any ideas on how to get an increase in my burn?

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

You're much smaller now. Your body has less weight, so your heart doesn't have to work as hard when you move. If you really want to burn more, I suggest doing high intensity interval training, HIIT, where you go really fast and hard for 30 secs to a minutes, then slow down for a minute or two. Do that for 30-45 mins of your cardio workout, and that will help trick it into burning more calories. But yes, as you get smaller, it will be harder to get the same burn you got when you first started.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Since you weight less you will either need to workout longer or harder to get the same burn. You could up the incline on the treadmill and that would help some.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    a) You've reduced your body weight therefore the workout is not as difficult
    and b) You've become more efficient at your exercise

So if you want to burn more calories you need to either exercise longer or exercise more intensely
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If you can't run, you might have to accept a smaller diet from now on. The only people who get to eat whatever they want is runners. The only other high-calorie activity I can think of is swimming, if you have access to a pool.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The only people who get to eat whatever they want is runners.

:sick:
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Put treadmill on higher incline and exercise longer.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The only people who get to eat whatever they want is runners.

I wish! I run 30-40 miles a week and still can't eat "whatever I want!" :-)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of overweight runners. Running is one of the least efficient workouts if all you want is calorie burn...

Anyway, the reason you're not losing weight is not specifically because you aren't burning as many calories as you used to... It's really because your body composition changed. Without the amount of effort required of a pro athlete, you aren't going to see 800+ calorie burns anymore. You have to get used to that.

You also can't expect your weight loss to depend entirely on burning a ton of calories. If this is what it comes down to, you are probably trying to justify a diet that is too high in calories.

Your BMR and TDEE are lower now than when you were 40lbs heavier. Your body takes fewer calories to maintain its mass. The women who eat a lot of calories are the ones who are serious about heavy weightlifting. Walking on a treadmill just isn't a high intensity exercise that requires you to eat a ton of extra food.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.

As you lose weight, it will get harder and harder to burn 800 calories. I can hike for 8 hours and only burn 1100. So, you have to decrease your food intake. A smaller person naturally needs less food than a larger person. I'm not talking substantially cutting your calories (and I should have checked your diary first to make sure you weren't already eating only 1200), but you need a deficit to lose. Since you need less, you need to eat less to get a deficit.

Also, though it may feel like you aren't losing weight any more, you may just be losing at a slower rate. The less you weigh, the slower your weight loss will be.

So, accept that you will lose slower and burn less (if working out for the same amount of time). But also, lift heavy. Muscles burn more than fat. So, lifting weights will help you be able to eat more.
  • I have lost 67 pounds (I gained back 20) by using the treadmill at 4.0 sometimes a little faster. When I ran into burn troubles I added weights to my run and put my treadmill on an incline. Also if you swing the weights while walking that will help. Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.

As you lose weight, it will get harder and harder to burn 800 calories. I can hike for 8 hours and only burn 1100. So, you have to decrease your food intake. A smaller person naturally needs less food than a larger person. I'm not talking substantially cutting your calories (and I should have checked your diary first to make sure you weren't already eating only 1200), but you need a deficit to lose. Since you need less, you need to eat less to get a deficit.

Also, though it may feel like you aren't losing weight any more, you may just be losing at a slower rate. The less you weigh, the slower your weight loss will be.

So, accept that you will lose slower and burn less (if working out for the same amount of time). But also, lift heavy. Muscles burn more than fat. So, lifting weights will help you be able to eat more.

All of this is the truth
  • laurak56
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will definately keep my incline increased on the treadmill. I use a cardio setting so it adjusts according to my heart rate. My calorie intake is set at 1300 down from 1500. And I will try and lift heavier as well!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    If you're experimenting, I'd only change one variable at a time :) Good luck
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i've lost 37lbs. when i do my run, i hold 37lbs of weights in my hands. effectively my weight has stayed the same when doing a workout, and thus i get a similar burn. to be honest, i get a better burn because holding 37lbs in your hands is harder than having it stored around your body as fat.

anyway, im not sure whether that would be suitable for you due to your knees but it's what i do, and presumably you used to do the same workout when you were 45lbs heavier anyway.
  • laurak56
    Options
    You are probably right! I will increase my incline and see how that goes first. Thanks much! BTW....love your profile philosophy! Nothing but the truth!